Welcome Back to School Teachers

It’s not an apple to welcome teachers back to school, but a cup of coffee.  In recognition of teachers, Starbucks is offering school teachers, grades K-12 a complimentary tall cup of brewed coffee on Mondays during the month of September (2008).  Bring in your teacher identification to any Starbucks.  We appreciate the many ideas you’ve shared on MSI to recognize the wonderful work of teachers.

Coffee for the Teachers

Momiji
9/8/2008 1:27 PM

I am not a teacher but I have them in my family. I let them know of this promotion. :-D

teacher 1
9/8/2008 2:49 PM

Thank you! Thank you, for the wonderful idea.  One problem, I am a teacher, but I don't drink coffee.  I have a card for tea and chi... so why not a small something for all of us, even the non-coffee drinkers?  signed disappointed teacher!

Momiji
9/9/2008 10:07 AM

Hi teacher 1,

If I worked at SB, I would give you a tea instead of coffee. Maybe a nice partner could hook you up. :-D

mguiste
9/9/2008 12:27 PM

Wow.  Thanks to everyone for reading this post.  In just a few days it has rocketed to the title of our "Most Read Blog Post".  It appears a lot of teachers are getting this forwarded to them.  You should give kids an "A" if their parents do that.  Or at least a B+.

Momiji
9/14/2008 6:26 AM

FYI, I told my sister and brother inlaw about this. They are both teachers. Apparently, their school doesn't issue ID cards. I hope they can still participate in this promotion. It's a smaller town so hopefully the partners know them and will hook them up!

lindenbrooks
9/15/2008 6:02 AM

First let me sstart by saying that I think that this is very kind of you all I  my self am not a coffee drinker but, I do work with teachers NO I am not one, but I do see what they go through on a daily bases, and believe me they deserve a lot more, but a cup of coffee is a nice start. AS for 4leighf , you should really get a grip on what you think is a benifit, I have yet to see a teacher leave their school by 3:30, most are here untill after 5 somethime 6 or later, as for summers off yeah I guess that might be one if they didnt have to lesson plan and prepare for the following year, if it was truly their time. And frankly my friend untill you walk in a pair of teachers shoes, maybe you shouldnt say anything, I am not sure what you do but some how I dont think, it is any where remotly close to what a teacher does. Do you speand your days, trying to teacher 30 to 35 kids in a class, all that they will need to get them through life, do you face, disrespect, verbal abuse sometime physical assult, on a daily bases, with little to few thank you, some how I doubt  it, and I know rtight now you are thinking well they chose that job, well with out them where would our children be today? Who would do it it let me guess you... I dont think so, you mind is to shallow to think out side the box, and see that saying THANK YOU is an ok thing, maybe if people spent less time being angry because they feel that someone is getting something they are not, then maybe the world might be come a little better place.. Shelfishness is a ugly thing,...Get over your self..

teachershari
9/15/2008 2:26 PM

I appreciate lindenbrooks comments. I was appalled when I read what 4leighf had to say. I AM a teacher. I have been one for nine years, and I LOVE what I do. If I didn't, I couldn't do it. Most Americans work an eight-hour workday or get some sort of compensatory time or overtime pay for additional time worked.  We do not. While I do have my summers off, I spend most of that time taking courses that will improve my skills as a teacher, which I pay for out of my own pocket. Most corporations don't expect you to get training on your personal time, using your own money. In response to salaries, I know few jobs that require advanced post-secondary degrees that pay as little as teaching does. If they do, there is generally a quick ladder for advancement/salary bumps. Teachers do not get raises when their students perform well. We do not get bonuses at holidays. There are no stock options in public schools.

I am appalled that someone would begrudge us four free cups of coffee that most of us won't even take Starbucks up on, because we are too busy grading papers to come up for air!

Snipsnapper
9/15/2008 9:03 PM

Coffee for teachers ROCKS.

DR SEK
10/14/2008 11:20 AM

How about college teachers and adult educators or continuing education teachers.  Let's include all teachers to demonstrate appreciation.

Susan

Customer
12/2/2008 3:03 PM

Last week we asked the following question: Which Ideas in Action post has been viewed the most? We then

kellshirley
9/10/2011 3:56 PM

Thank You! Thank You! I am a teacher and i need a tall cup of coffee to get me started in the morning to greet 19 energetic first graders :) And then another cup of coffee at the end of the day to release the stress :)

asia84
9/11/2011 2:37 PM

What about Subsitute teachers?? They deserve it too!!

My school district doesnt give IDs to subsitutes though. But I could show you something to prove Im a sub!

msb423
9/11/2011 4:18 PM

Is this only for regular coffee?  I drink White Chocolate Mochas, not boring old coffee.  Are all coffee drinks included or just plain coffee?  Not being ungrateful, but a discount for the more tasty drinks would be nice, even if they aren't  offered for free.

DandD4Life
9/11/2011 5:18 PM

Wow, Great idea... Let's alienate the rest of working America who actually work 12 months a year and who don't complain about having to go back to work in September! Give teachers more reason to think that they are such victims of our society and they deserve our charity.

iineni
9/11/2011 9:04 PM

What parents who home-school their children? They are teachers.

AnnaNow
9/12/2011 10:37 AM

Bummer, my Starbucks in Florham Park, NJ knew nothing of such a deal.  Went there w/ 2 co-workers and they did not honor it b/c they said they were not aware of the deal. : (  Boo to them!

melloves4
9/12/2011 11:12 AM

What about homeschooling moms? :)

RegB
9/12/2011 11:29 AM

I am pretty sure since this post was written in 2008 that the promo is no longer valid.

msb423
9/12/2011 3:41 PM

Note:  This is not a current promotion!  This message is recirculating again via "Free Stuff" websites.  I received a link to it, and fell for it.  I just got back from my local Starbucks, who  knew nothing about it.  So, I double-checked the info, and saw the date of 2008.  Someone apparently thought it was a current promotion, and now it is all over the place on Facebook and other sites.  I'm sure there will be many disappointed teachers.  Sorry to be the one to pass along the news.

dbailey51
9/19/2011 7:32 AM

Good morning! I just went to a Starbucks in Beaverton, OR and they did not honor your "free coffee for teachers" deal. They said to go to a stand-alone Starbucks-I did not have time, the closet one was several miles away.

Great idea(if it works)!

9/20/2011 10:21 AM

This was offered in September 2008 for a limited time.

5/25/2013 9:33 AM

Pingback from  Starbucks supera a Coca-Cola y se convierte en la marca N??1 de las redes sociales. | Grupo Cuatro Comunicaci??n