BYOM (Bring Your Own Mug) Discount

There have been many great ideas posted about re-usable cups and mugs.  In addition to ideas for encouraging the use of ceramic serveware in the stores, many have discussed the option of bringing your own mug in for your to-go beverage.  First of all, this is a great idea that we fully support and encourage, as Cindy has so enthusiastically stated in her great responses.  To encourage using your own mug, Starbucks has long offered a $0.10 discount on your beverage when you bring in your own cup.  However, it was clear from some of the ideas that we haven’t done such a good job of publicizing that.  We’ve added the messaging back to the menuboard and are working to make sure all baristas are aware of the discount and give it (with a big thank you, too!) to BYOMers.

Other idea posts talk about the amount of the discount – is it enough to really encourage BYOM?  While I can’t say what will happen, we are looking at the program for opportunities to make it more effective.  In the meantime, keep bringing your own mugs, and encourage your friends to do the same.

poserdad
9/10/2008 1:11 PM

This is a nice gesture, but when I am paying $4.30 (each day) for my beverage $0.10 is next to nothing.

10% would be worthwhile.

Momiji
9/10/2008 6:58 PM

Where is Cindy? Why are you talking for her?

BTW, you need to up the discount on BYOM. $0.10 is not much of an incentive!

UrbanVoy
9/10/2008 8:27 PM

And please tell the staff :

- not to write the order on disposable cup

- not to use a disposable cup to make the order and then pour it into the mug we bring.

Otherwise they defeat any attempt to reduce waste.

Sunnydaze
9/11/2008 9:39 AM

We  pay, We pay,  come on Starbucks give a reasonable discount to encourage less waste.  I agree with Poserdad's idea.

drwright
9/11/2008 10:12 AM

10%? For most drinks, that's insane. We're saving Starbucks the cost of the paper cup plus the cost of waste disposal service. I'm not up on my food-service stats, but I doubt those cups cost more than a dime.

kriskares
9/11/2008 2:36 PM

Another novel idea... Starbucks could offer their own, reusable, washable mugs if someone is buying their coffee to consume in the store. I just got back from Australia and Starbucks there all offer the option of paper cups or real mugs. I never see real mugs available in any of my local starbucks, only  a paper option.

Iron chef
9/11/2008 6:01 PM

KrisKares: Just to give you a P.O.V from a Starbucks retail partner, you may notice that some stores have black cubbies near the ceiling that are filled with coffee, syrups, as well as mugs/plates. However, the majority of our locations do not have these cubbies which means we have to store them in closed cabinets out of customer view. I've personally tried to keep them on top of our coffee brewer (Which would also keep the warm), however this is against our manufacturer's preventative maintenance policies.

Even if you do not see them, they do have them. You just have to ask for your beverage in "a for here mug."

As for the discount not being given, I am by no means making an excuse here, but just stating an observation. The number of for-here mug/personal tumbler customers are so far and few, that it can be easy for the register partner to forget to input the discount, after getting in the habit of ringing 100 to-go drinks. It becomes muscle memory for many partners.

In fact, when I did a mystery shop tour called "The Back to the Core Tour" a few months ago, I noted that only 2 out of 25 stores gave me the for-here discount.

As for the amount of discount, I agree that 10 cents is too little, but disagree with 10%. I believe 25 cents is a much better amount. I also think that SBUX should invest in register signage that explains the discount and says that they encourage asking for a for-here mug. I think there is something so romantic about for-here mugs if they are done with class. I don't like that our mugs don't have any sort of designs or even the SBUX logos.

christamcd
9/12/2008 12:59 PM

I agree 10 cents is not much of an incentive to BYOM. 25 cents seems more reasonable. What is the actual cost of a to-go cup & lid?  That would be a starting point for this discount.

IMO the discount would only be for those brining in their own cups not for those who use a provided for-here cup. Since thosse now have to be cleaned and sanitized which probably cost as much as the to-go cup.

Doty_bb
9/13/2008 2:00 PM

I think bringing your own mugs is a great idea and a nice start to help the environment . I believe that a discount of .50 cents discounts will encourage a lot of customers and reduce the cost for Strabucks itself. This is a win-win situation and a descent discount should be considered.

mistyfliz
9/14/2008 1:29 PM

I think it's a good idea, but I had no idea that bringing your own mug would get you a discount. I think you should raise the discount price to $.50, or at least 10%.

ehgroll
9/15/2008 7:21 PM

Starbucks needs to give a bigger discount on customers who bring in their own coffee mug.  McDonalds and Carribou Coffee are rising to the surface with their free WIFI and more affordable options.  I think Starbucks needs to start offering more incentives and options, or they won't be able to keep their sales going.  Please offer free WIFI, or at least an incentives card-- buy 10, get one free?  Anyone?

frappPrincess
9/16/2008 7:15 AM

Why are there not reusable cups for cold beverages like frappuccinos? I bring my own mug, but if I want to sip in style while at Starbucks, They don't have any glasses for cold drinks.  So, what about that market.

Also, it would be nice if they asked for here or to go and then automatically placed "for here" drinks in "for here" cups and asked the to go customers if they brought their own mug.  I know it's alot to say, but, it seems like if the Barista's asked each customer, then it would raise awareness and more people would bring their to go mugs with them.

Also, people need to know how many oz. their container holds in order to order with a to go mug because it seems that the barista's are using the disposable cups, then dumping the drink into the your own mug in order to ensure the amount they have made and charged you for.  The Starbucks I go to always asks me for the amount of oz. my cup holds when I bring it.

MrsWilson
9/16/2008 12:52 PM

I too like the idea of re-using vs. wasting!

Certainly most mugs would be properly cleaned, but for some that are not, I wonder how sanitary it is for the employees handling the mug.

blackout
9/16/2008 2:22 PM

I keep beating a dead horse as i said before 15 to 20% off BYOM is fair im buying two grande blackeyes 3 to 4 days a week.

JavaOcha
9/18/2008 11:47 AM

ok poserdad since $.10 is nothing to you, you can pay full price.

greenjean
9/18/2008 12:55 PM

Why should we rely on Starbucks to financially incent us more than 10 cents?  I think we should all do our part to do what's right....frankly, the people who REALLY care about the environment would do it for free.  10 cents more than covers the extra cost for me to run my cup through my own dishwasher.  C'mon, people - stop holding out your hand for payment to do a simple thing.

blondebobbi
9/20/2008 11:44 AM

You know, I WAS going to comment on this saving only $0.10 for bringing our own cup, but people are razzing the complaints, not the cost.  Also did you know they only pay their people squat, then the workers have to rely on a percentage of the tips for pay?  Then they have to charge us an arm and a leg for a cup of coffee.

vogue0009
9/21/2008 5:58 AM

Because people are saying "10 cents is nothing" why don't you add a punch card for every 15 times you remember you can get a pack of gum, entered into a weekly sweepstakes (of the store), or something else special.

vogue0009
9/21/2008 6:12 AM

I believe that the paper cups that most people would put in the garbage should be biodegradable... I have noticed that Starbucks is taking a great initiative to use post-consumer waste, but the cup should be biodegradable because once it is soaked with all of the coffee recyclers don't recycle it. The little hot thing around it can go.... I think it is so stupid, but it should be recycled otherwise. The lid, plastic - can be recycled. Now what about those green straws? They should be biodegradable because the types of plastic it is made out of can't be recycled. Same with the napkins, use reuseable napkins (cloth). The paper bags: tell staff it really isn't necessary to use a napkin to put in a bag, to put into another bag. That's just a waste. Thank you very much for listening. xoxo Marina - Pittsburgh

ekwetzel
9/23/2008 8:08 AM

I like that there is a BYOM policy, but I never knew it existed until I went searching for it on this site. I don't care about the discount...I agree with greenjean...the incentive should not been saving money, but in saving the environment. So what if Starbucks is expensive; we already knew that. This discussion shuold not about the cost of a good cup of coffee, but about what Starbucks can do to help us be good stewards of our environment.

Starbucks: I do not believe that awareness for BYOM exists at all, so what's the point in having the program if you're not going to tell anyone about it. There are many terrific ideas here that could be implemented or adapted in the store to make customers aware of their options other than paper cups. Here's another idea: most Starbucks I have visited have a section that sells mugs and water bottles in the front of the store. That would be an ideal place to have a sign with information about Starbuck's BYOM policy.

Thanks for listening, and I look forward to seeing anti-waste ideas in action.

staje
9/28/2008 2:54 PM

Well, I like my own idea of having a Loaner Cup system where I could subscribe to have a clean "to go" cup when I order in exchange for my used cup.  I think it could be profitable for Starbucks and it could cut down on waste.

Not that it would replace the BYOM idea, just that it could be a viable alternative.  I did submit this in the ideas section as well, but this also seems a good place to mention it.

catluver43
9/30/2008 9:31 AM

I went to Starbucks today and someone brought his own cup.  I had no idea that was possible.  I may purchase on of the tall cups they sell there and just get it refilled from now on.  It's a good $10.00 purchase to use only at Starbucks.

UrbanVoy
10/10/2008 10:43 AM

I bring my own cup all the time these days, but I find that many partners do not know that the 10 cent discount applies to any reusable cup you bring in - not just one with a Starbucks logo.

I like doing my part for the environment, I  don't like getting hassled for a 10 cent discount- not when I'm spending $5 on the drink.

amoebob
10/15/2008 10:31 PM

I had no idea that any BYOM discount or 'for here' option existed before reading this posting. Please put prominent signage in your stores.

I don't think 10 cents is any incentive at all. I also think that a fixed discount feels much more concrete than a percentage. You can count the number of 50 cent's that you've saved this week. The cost of the cup is constant regardless of which hot drink you purchase.

AmandaL
11/19/2008 10:07 AM

I find that when I bring in my mug the barista just uses a paper cup to make the drink, then pours it into the mug and throws away the cup. Ugh. That defeats the purpose. Starbucks needs to sell tumbers that are tall, grande, and venti size. Plus, I never get the discount.

AmandaL
11/19/2008 10:07 AM

jsizzelle
12/19/2008 10:06 AM

Hey PoserDad and Momiji,

How about the incentive that your kids won't lose out because their parents destroyed their environment?  Heat their climates?  What more do you want?  This is such a typical American consumer attitude.  Like DrWright said- 10% discount is ridiculous.  If you don't want to spend so much money on coffee, perhaps you should take your business to a little guy and not pay exorbitant amounts for burnt coffee.  Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Starbucks:  better education for the baristas!  you have a social responsibility as well as the power to inform your workers; think of the change.  You wouldn't dare serve coffee in paper cups in other parts of the world!  Nor would people tolerate such wastefulness.  America, Starbucks, please have some of that morning blend and wake up!

jovzhie21
2/14/2009 1:55 AM

i still wanted my coffee to be put in the starbucks cup.

because, it feels good when its there. it is also good when

in mug but you will be always finding the freshness of coffee

in the starbucks cup. :))

salmonmaki
3/22/2009 3:59 PM

I would like to see 24oz venti re-usable cold cups,  I would buy one and would us it every time but it needs to be a venti size.   SB had replicas of your cold drink cups, but there only tall and grande sizes.  Maybe .10 is not enough of an incentive,  but .10 for a tall, .20 for a grande and .25 for a venti.

greeny2010
2/17/2010 11:23 AM

I also agree that $.10 is too little, I mean really.  Also there was an idea posted about giving a certain discount to those people with Starbucks mugs and a lesser discount to people who bring in any mug.  As long as you standarize the amount you serve for each size, I don't see why this would be a problem.  Your goal is to save the environment, right?

mugsmom
10/14/2010 8:32 PM

I used to bring my own cup but then I have to pay full price minus $.10 for my refills.  I stopped using my own cup. Especially on days that I hit the store 2 or 3 times. Refill price is alot less.

TankChat2013
3/4/2013 7:29 AM

I have been going to Starbucks once a week for years.  I own several travel mugs, most of which have been discontinued.  They all advertise for Starbucks and they are only offering me a $.10 discount?  I think if I am advertising for Starbucks and bring my STARBUCKS mug in I should at least get a 10% discount on my coffee purchase.  That would be more like a $.25 to $.50 discount, which would be more reasonable.

You figure they are charging about $1 for the mugs they give you.  Your a major company now, spread the wealth and offer more discount and show a bit of corporate class instead of being like most companies that are all about corporate greed.

TankChat2013

CableBecca
6/3/2013 2:44 PM

This is the first time I have brought my own bottle, and I didn't receive the discount :(

So I think Starbucks should just send out a reminder about the little things just be more helpful for those of us that do want to be environmentally friendly.

mangoflea
1/7/2014 7:59 AM

I am aware that this is an old thread but  feel a great need to express my feelings here. I read the comments about the reasons for incentive to bring in a cup and I was completely astonished at the lack of care of our planet by these commenters.Personally, I don't need a discount but I would really would like to be offered a mug when I sit in the cafe and drink coffee. That is the reason why I go to the local mom and pop coffee shop down the street. The only time they ever put anyone's coffee in a paper or god forbid polystyrene cup is for people taking their coffee to-go. Please, this is the year2014 and we are pretty  much trashing our world with our "needs" and greed, can we just try to help our world by offering mugs. Ask for a mug out of your desire for a better planet, not for what your pocket book can get. Thank you