A Message from GOOD

Hey everyone, my name is Ben Goldhirsh. I founded GOOD with some friends in the hopes of covering content that was important in a way that was entertaining as well. This effort fundamentally exists in GOOD Magazine and our website, www.good.is. But when we had the chance to create the GOOD Sheet for Starbucks, it was an opportunity we jumped for. One, this is by far the biggest platform we've ever enjoyed. We print about 100,000 copies of our magazine. About 500,000 people visit our website every month, but working with you all, we're now able to reach tens of millions of people. It's incredible. Thank you. I think the GOOD Sheets are a pretty damn good effort to engage some critical issues in a simple, easy to read, and engaging format. I'm proud of our team for making them. I'm sad when I read a number of these comments that they've disappointed some of you. I guess I'll ride along with some positions that were posted in saying that this is just a start. The sheets are going to continue for the next nine weeks and hopefully will build on the momentum of each one. I know I've been getting positive feedback from people who've seen them. For one, I saw an email from the mayor of Seattle to some people at Starbucks headquarters talking about his appreciation for you guys giving this sort of content a platform to stand on. Given our mission is to push the world forward - and creating conversation and thought around the stuff that matters - having a mayor engaged on this level around carbon emissions was a big success in our mind. I hope we get better with each sheet. I hope you guys can get behind this and see if you can help bring part of the human component to the conversation around these matters. Regardless of where you stand on this, I still want to say thanks so much. It's an honor to work with you all and hopefully come the election in November; I hope the content we've brought to the American public will see an informed populace head to the polls. Anyhow, I apologize for the long winded note, it comes from the heart.

Much respect,

Ben

Momiji
9/24/2008 12:38 PM

Hi Ben!

I like the diagrams in the GOOD sheets. So, thank you! I got the Health Care one yesterday and I am looking forward to Immigration next week.

Unfortunantly it brought no "great conversation" from the partner @ Starbucks.

Have you joined V2V? http://www.v2v.net/starbucks and there is an action about the GOOD sheets www.v2v.net/.../good-sheet-number-1-carbon-emi Would love for you and everyone to join V2V. I am finding more "great conversations" happen there.

*Peace Sign*

livia_nelson
9/25/2008 10:19 AM

Hey Ben!

I think GOOD sheets are an amazing idea. I just looked at the Health Care one & learned a bunch! The website is amazing too, what a smart idea to use all of those graphics to help people understand. Definitely a refreshing alternative to long texty newpaper articles. And time-saving, too!

I actually found out about GOOD sheets because I'm covering their introduction into the local Starbucks for my journalism class at Emerson College. We publish and online newspaper weekly. I'd love if you could give me a couple quotes; the article will be read by college aged students in Boston, a huge and very relevant demographic for what you're trying to accomplish :)

Email's livia_nelson@emerson.edu

Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Livia

ArtM
9/30/2008 5:24 AM

Sounds great, but it's yet another distraction from Starbucks mission, which used to be providing great drip bold coffee.

Bring back bold 24/7!

Art M.

UrbanVoy
9/30/2008 10:31 AM

The Energy piece was good, but thumbs down on the Immigration one.

The game was confusion and non-informative, and the debate in the country has moved way beyond how easy or hard it is to get a green card.

I expected better.

sbuxb
10/3/2008 5:25 AM

The good sheets are a great way to get the issues out there, but I have a strong feeling they will never do one on deforestation. Call me old fashioned, but how many of these good sheets are actually read and taken home? I know the majority of our customers sit and read one, then leave it at the store. How many trucks does it take to deliver these? They are made from recycled materials, but its just not sending the right message for some of the customers, and I have to hear it all day long. Its like the Ethos water. With 10 cents shipped for every $1.80 per bottle, why not send the entire bottle? An electronic version of the good sheets would be an excellent idea. People are suckers for technology, why not have a surface computer that updates it automatically.

Momiji
10/3/2008 7:29 AM

UrbanVoy, I agree on the immigration one.

skateski4alway
10/24/2008 10:59 AM

My teenage daughters are enjoying these GOOD news info papers.

Thanks and keep it up!

mguiste
11/7/2008 12:23 PM

Hi everyone.  I'm happy to report that today we have announced an agreement to support The Alcove with Mark Molaro.  This was one of the specific examples of how you wanted "Great Conversations" at Starbucks.  Click for details:

blogs.starbucks.com/.../the-alcove-is-coming-to-starbucks.aspx