Gluten-free Food Update

Hi, it’s Erin on the Food team.  I am so excited today to share an update on our blog about Gluten-free offerings.  Starting May 5 we will be launching the Gluten-free Orange Valencia Cake with Almonds.  And even better you are among the first to know!  Who better to get the first scoop than you who helped make it happen?  This product was inspired by the passionate responses we heard from you on My Starbucks Idea.

The Orange Valencia Cake is a delicious moist citrus cake bursting with Valencia oranges and topped with crunchy almonds.  Not only is it gluten-free, it is also prepared with 7 simple ingredients: Whole Eggs, Valencia Orange Pulp, Almonds, Sugar, Orange Peel, Gluten Free Baking Powder, and Orange Oil.  Plus it delivers 30% of your daily value of vitamin C.

Keep on the look out for it in the pastry case with a sign that says “gluten-free.”  A single cake will be displayed unwrapped so you can see it clearly, but don’t worry.   They all come individually packaged to prevent cross contamination.  And with the ingredient list right on the package, it’s easy to see exactly what you are eating.  Whether you are gluten-sensitive or not, this product is delicious and satisfying and I hope you will all enjoy it soon.

Want to know how it’s made gluten-free?  Come back to MSI in two weeks and Chris, the lead product developer will take you behind the scenes and share how this cake is made with care.

jeeva
10/4/2010 11:54 PM

Hey!though I am reading it almost a year later - pls let me know when you plan to launch starbucks in a big way in India coz its only there in the capital city of Delhi.I have a celiac disease and gluten free food is almost impossible to get in India.

I am a Market Researcher and I am sure there will be a market for starbucks in Bangalore and Mumbai- Some food for thought for your strategy planners! Waiting to eat the gluten free cake. A hopeful Indian fan of Starbucks....pls make my wish come true!;-)

jeeva
10/5/2010 12:04 AM

Oh yes just to add y u will have more gluten attacked customers in India - according to statistics 1 in 133 Americans and europeans are affected by it and the number in India is increasing esp among the south indians i.e.bangalore and among children in India......isn't it time you thought to cater to them.

None of the coffee chains indian or intl in India offer GF products...we poor Gluten attacked celiacs in India have no coffee place where we can be normal.

larrysyc
1/11/2011 10:47 AM

I have never seen this at any Starbucks.  Is it still served and how can I identify it in the food case?  Do you have a little sign that declares it Gluten-free?

Do the partners know about it? I have been hesitant to ask.

larrysyc
1/11/2011 10:52 AM

I see a comment here that "Your cake only lasted 2 mos. "

Is that true?

droses86
4/18/2011 5:13 PM

What happened to this!!! I loved it.....

caribbeanraw
10/9/2011 7:53 AM

I'm another Celiac consumer of Starbucks.  I appreciate you're putting in a delicious sounding GF orange cake - that's terrific.  It would also be nice to have a cookie option and a bar option - fresh stuff, that is, not pre-package label items that one can get at the cash which I can get pretty well purchase in other stores.  I'd like fresh crunchie stuff that is GF.  Thank you so much.

OH.  How about almond or hemp milk options?  I don't use dairy or soy (for reasons which abound on the Internet, so I won't go into them here) and end up only using your herb teas, for the most part.

Thanks for creating an awesome Coffee empire - you win, we win.

CaribbeanRaw

birdie3
7/7/2012 4:28 PM

We are so excited about something gluten-free at our house. My family is at Starbucks everyday and my 13 year old has Celiac disease. This menu option is AWESOME of Starbucks. Thank YOU for caring about a Big issue for some people. Now she can sit and enjoy our Starbucks time!!

JustinNelson
4/6/2013 7:56 AM

Thank you soooooo much for making a gluten-free desert. please keep more coming perhaps something without nuts. I litterally spend more time at my local starbucks than any other place Even My own house sometimes and to finally have a desert available that i can have is wonderful. one thing i do have to ask can you make the java chips gluten-free. i ordered one oneday and to my surprise the barista warned me that it had gluten. Thankfully the baristas at that store know me so well that she stoped me from makeing a big mistake.

Sheilah Anne
4/6/2013 10:01 AM

Sounds like a real treat! I have serious Celiac disease, and appreciate gluten free options. Please keep up your

good gluten-free work.

smarter eating
6/7/2013 7:15 AM

Any chance of having gluten free options in breakfast sandwhiches or any other non pastry items???