Real Food, Simply Delicious

Hi, it’s Erin here on the food team. This week, we announced that we are updating some of our food recipes to include fewer ingredients. We’ve eliminated some unnecessary “stuff” including artificial flavors, artificial dyes and artificial trans fats.  We are also no longer using high-fructose corn syrup.  Providing options with more natural ingredients is a top priority for the Food team and we know it is on your minds as well.  We are also continuing to work on increasing the number of nutritious food offerings and reducing calories and sodium levels.

One of my favorite items coming out at participating stores on June 30 is the new Blueberry Streusel Muffin which is now packed full of plump, Oregon blueberries - long gone is the artificial blueberry flavor. And our Banana Walnut Bread is nearly one third pure banana!  It is so yummy you will probably want to know how to bake it yourself at home!  Well, you can. Recipe cards will be available in store and on our website so you can do just that.

Many of you had the chance to hear from Chris via his blog (here) in May and he has also been instrumental in the recipe development for our new food. Chris and the rest of the product development team worked through hundreds of recipes and tweaked them until they were just right. He baked (and tasted!) more than 130 versions of our Double Chocolate Brownie (made with premium chocolate and cocoa) to achieve the perfect balance of cakey and fudgey texture.

In addition to some of our indulgent offerings highlighted above, we also have a selection of more wholesome choices. The Reduced Fat Turkey Bacon Breakfast sandwich will now have egg whites and the multigrain English muffin is made with wheat, flaxseed and barley. All for only 340 calories and 21 grams of hunger-blasting protein!  If you need a quick lunch on the go grab one of our new green salads- the all-natural balsamic vinaigrette dressing comes on the side so you decide how much to use.

Soon our food will start to look a little different, come in and give it a try. I am sure you will find it is even more delicious than before.

Please keep your food ideas coming!

Erin

High Fructose Corn Syrup
posted by napolicafe

SBUX75Devildog
6/10/2009 5:08 PM

Erin,

Thanks for all your hard work. I love eating great food. I must say the butter croissant is so amazing now that I eat one everyday now. YUMMY way of getting my day started. This is also great that you're going to be sharing the recipes. There might be a trip to Whole Foods in the future.

Jonny@SF
6/10/2009 8:00 PM

Good job.  Thanks for all the hard work and I cannot wait to taste them!

purple1
6/11/2009 5:08 AM

Sounds like some nice additions to the menu, however, what is the status of some new breakfast vegetarian sandwiches with egg whites and veggies and without turkey or bacon? There still is a vacumn for us vegetarians. Why can't you create a sandwich with no cheese, no egg and no meat?

Norm Charney
6/11/2009 9:34 AM

Good to hear about  all these great changes. It is good to go to an eatery where you don't have to think about the quality of your food.

LyraLatte
6/11/2009 9:47 AM

YEAYE! Thank you sooo much! I don't like having to worry about my breakfast/lunch options (of which I am a frequenter of your food).  Food should be one thing : simple - and it sounds like you're doing this.

:o)

Rainbowracing
6/11/2009 10:45 AM

Erin, it all sounds wonderful.  A couple of comments from down here in the desert.  The breakfast paring continues to be a terrific idea and a daily stop for me.  Historically when some of the new baked goods have been launched my favorite starbucks team does not always know the ingredients.  Being severely allergic to nuts and other components, making sure that everyone knows what is in them when initially delivered will be helpful.   Also I still really miss the oat fruit scone that we had a few years back, that was the best, probably got dropped because it was hard to make and sometimes inconsistent in fruit content but it remains my starbucks favorite.

Thanks again

light111
6/11/2009 11:13 AM

Thank you for the wonderful foods...  my sons love the Scones!

luvfraps2
6/11/2009 11:30 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  You make every morning wonderful!   Our office will go for a coffee run and quite often I will get 2 a day!  Keeping it real!  Love the coffee and all your goodies.

vkytwin
6/11/2009 11:59 AM

Erin,

Am definately looking forward to that blueberry muffin, as I just returned from Oregon and the berries there are delicious. I hope the muffin will be available in the lower fat option. My favorite is the mini zucchini nut muffin along with a grande nonfat mocha no whip, which is what I have every Sunday morning. Thank you for continuing to provide low fat options with delicious flavor. :)

Princesska
6/11/2009 12:53 PM

This is such great news!!! Cant wait for it to come to a starbucks near me!!

Sparkle72023
6/11/2009 1:11 PM

Since you're revamping your food options - - - how about at least offering one food item that is NOT loaded down with SODIUM ! !!!

The Pandinis are great but I can't eat them because they're way tooo salty.  This may not make sense economically to the company but those of us on restricted Sodium diets simply do not order much food from Starbucks for that reason.

Thank you for at least thinking about that new healthy option.

trgibb25
6/11/2009 2:03 PM

I am so excited about changing the turkey bacon sandwich to egg whites!  It is one of my fav's at your stores and this will just make it even better!  Thanks so much for all you do!

Suite2100
6/12/2009 8:16 AM

Good moves all around in my view. When I start seeing the new items I will give them a try. I have slowed down my use of food items and this gives me a compelling reason to reconsider.

STRBKR1
6/12/2009 12:12 PM

The Bacon, Egg Fritta is to die for. I usually shy away from breakfast foods like this, but after trying it once I am hooked. Please do not eliminate it from the menu. What will I eat every morning with my Venti, Iced Mocha non-fat no whip with an extra shot?????

COFFEEISLIFE
6/12/2009 6:08 PM

Great new breakfast sandwiches. yummy.I have 2-3 every time.

Jonny@SF
6/13/2009 7:11 PM

I hope these new food stick around.... What happen to Apple bran muffin?  Also Berry Stella?  These food simply just dropped off??

What is happening?  You introduce new food item and then it's gone!!! Is it not selling?  If so, I hope your new items do sell...

purple1
6/15/2009 8:45 AM

I hope that some new breakfast sandwiches are in the works that have egg whites, no meat, no cheese. Can someone update us on where these sandwiches are?

javafan28
6/15/2009 12:15 PM

I am disappointed in the strawberry sauce. The STCF does NOT taste good at all now. :(

mjmeagher
6/16/2009 10:05 PM

Twice a week I have been enjoying a cranberry orange scone with my vente Pike Place (best coffee ever) here in Houston. How disappointing to find out recently the wonderful icing that "made" this treat has been nearly eliminated. Please bring back the icing!

yummybites
6/17/2009 9:15 PM

Erin,  I'm the lead product developer for a gluten-free company.  We produce delicious, gluten-free cheese rolls, corn breads and a cakes that tastes like haven.  How can I introduce those great items to Starbucks?

aagilmore55
6/23/2009 3:17 PM

I appreciate the healthier options, but sometimes I want the unhealthy option.  I like the taste of some of the items you have had in the past and you are getting rid of them.  Sometimes I want icing on my pastry.  Sometimes I want the healthy option.  Are you going to get rid of everything you have and replace it with a lighter option?

purple1
6/25/2009 4:58 AM

What is the status of the new breakfast sandwiches? Any coming out without meat, cheese and egg?

kateymac01
6/26/2009 4:59 PM

I'm kind of disappointed in the changes. The chocolate chip cookies don't taste quite right; I make better ones at home.

The lemon loaf tastes super-artificial now -- almost like chemicals. And I don't like nuts in my banana bread. So the walnuts are a HUGE turnoff.

I'm buying fewer pastries now than I did, say, two months ago. And I used to buy something every day pretty much.

The Blueberry Streusel Muffin sounds yummy, though. Can't wait to try it.

Shazzle
6/26/2009 5:23 PM

THANK YOU!  I am striving to eat only 'real' food, as I have been diagnosed with an allergy to certain artificial sweeteners and fats.  Very, very much appreciated.

CryPixie83
6/26/2009 5:33 PM

I am so excited about this!  My daughter has food sensitivities (can't eat artificial anything, almonds or HFCS) and we're really excited to see some options for her. Before this the only thing we new was safe for her was the packaged madelines. Thank you so much!

ron37
7/3/2009 3:47 PM

On the pastries and baked goods hopefully there will be a 100% whole wheat flour option for all the baked goods including the egg sandwiches and piadinis. Egg beaters can be used for the egg sandwiches and reduced fat cheeses. Salt and pepper and spices should be provided as well. Thanks. Just staying healthy on my diet.

Ariahro
7/6/2009 6:58 PM

As a new partner I just want to say I love love love the new pastries!!!! They taste better, they are moister and they are flying out of the pastry case!! I am so proud!!

enieffac
7/7/2009 2:44 PM

I would love if Starbucks would bring back the orange/cranberry muffin.  But some of these choices need to have a few more sides to them besides the obvious of no high fructose corn syrup etc.

Price is a huge factor for most (or make them a pairing).  I'm tired of everything being a sugar overload!  Oh it tastes great but..

We need a few more options. Protein, dried fruit, a good quality bran muffin.

k29ate
7/8/2009 4:48 AM

While the food is no doubt healthier, a lot of the pastries are still PACKED with sugar.  I was shocked to discover the Apple Bran Muffin had as much sugar as it does.  While I'm really happy about the oatmeals, it would be great if we had a muffin with  less sugar (preferably made with more fruit) and more of the good stuff! Keep up the great work Starbucks

ldornfeld
7/9/2009 7:15 AM

I would love to see the return of real fruit in your yogurts. At one time you had a yogurt parfait with real strwaberries and real bananas topped with granola- i miss these and hate the too fruity jelly that you are using now.

CinnamonScone
7/15/2009 6:21 AM

So many people have Celiac disease (no what, rye, barley, triticale, oats) also includes einkorn, durum, faro graham, kamut, semolina, spelt.  So many of your customers are requesting no gluten, or wheat.  To help out I am adding allowed products  rice, corn (maize), soy, potato, tapioca, beans, garfava, sorghum, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, arrowroot, amaranth, teff, montina, flax, and nut flours.  Please see in your starbucks blog so many people are requesting this in addition to more vegan products.  PLEASE WE LOVE YOU AND DON"T WANT TO LEAVE BUT YOU MAY GIVE US NO CHOICE.

Customer
7/23/2009 10:57 AM

In the past month, we have launched many of your ideas! Out of all the new ideas, we wanted to know which

tracy123
7/28/2009 11:14 AM

Why won't you at least provide reasons for dropping some of your most popular products, and in particular the maple oat-nut scones. It can't be just the calories (can it?). At the store I used to frequent two or three times a week this was *the* most popular pastry. I am saving a lot of money because I will no longer wait in line, nor even bother going many days.

doodles01
9/20/2009 5:41 PM

Hello Erin,

Is Starbucks aware of the need for Gluten Free bake goods at the stores?  I have read a lot on the ideas page and there are several of your clients that are either gluten intolerant or have diabetes.

Gluten Free foods are easier for digestion and most are lower in sugar. I have been tring to locate your distrubutors I have a award winning Organic Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix that many professional chefs have loved.

A Barbie
10/3/2011 12:20 PM

Erin--I really enjoy the reduced-fat turkey bacon breakfast sandwich.  Actually, I always have the "turkey-bacon" removed before they "mic" it.  What I would like to know is what bakery bakes the multi-grain English muffin-type roll?  It is all delicious and when I do not have time for breakfast before work, this is my go-to solution!    Barb