Have you heard the buzz about the new Starbucks store in France? On June 20th, we opened a new store in the Disney Village Paris that is truly in a class of its own. It is the first international store to be built using our new design concept that connects our stores to our coffee heritage. This store is also the 50th Starbucks store in France and marks the 5th anniversary of this important market.
So, what’s so special about this new store? Inspired by artists’ studio environments and modern design in Europe in the 1930’s, this store is not only beautiful but also includes local materials and green design to enhance the customer experience. This new store design is part of our effort to have all of our new company-operated stores worldwide certified by the end of 2010 under the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program. This is a key component contributing to the Starbucks ™ Shared Planet ™ goals in environmental stewardship.
The LEED ® Green Building Rating System evaluates a building on various criteria including energy performance, indoor environmental quality, community connectivity and regional materials. Accordingly, the innovative design of this store includes the following features:
- Adjustable, low-energy lighting system
- Mixed-mode HVAC system (mechanical and natural ventilation) saves energy and makes use of existing building tower feature
- Large, operable windows provide natural ventilation, ample daylight and fresh indoor air quality
- Water efficient fixtures in restrooms and bar areas
- Low emitting materials reduce off-gassing and allow the aroma of our coffee to be the star
- Salvaged and recycled construction materials & furniture (including reuse of local French wine barrels and authentic champagne riddling racks)
- Recycling available for customers and store partners
- Measurement and verification plan to monitor energy and water savings over the life of the store
This blog was inspired by the idea: Starbucks in Walt Disney World, posted by 19072765