Free Pastry Day!

Hi Everyone!

Today, July 21, 2009 is “Free Pastry Day” at a participating Starbucks store near you. To show you how excited we are about our new food offerings, Starbucks offered customers a free pastry with purchase of a brewed or hand-crafted beverage.

“Free Pastry Day” started when the stores opened and ran until 10:30 a.m. (or while supplies lasted). Starbucks offers a long list of new morning goodies, which are now free of artificial flavors, dyes, trans fats and high-fructose corn syrup.

My favorite, which gets me moving in the morning, is the Banana Walnut Bread. Paired with my favorite morning drink, it’s a great start to the day. I encourage you to try something new and maybe you’ll discover a new favorite.

I would love to hear about your Free Pastry Day experience.  What pastry did you try?  Did you like it?  Let me know through a comment below :)

Megan

SteveinP
7/21/2009 4:47 AM

Yesterday I received an email that - because I was a Passion Panel member - and too time to answer surveys, I would get a free pastry this morning until 10:30 am. This sounded great .... until I heard on my local TV news station that EVERY CUSTOMER this morning would get a free pastry with a beverage.

It seems to me that it would be easy to send a numbered email to Passion Panel members only to thank them for their efforts and time. They would then feel special. Thanks for considering rewarding the Passion Panel members with exclusive freebies. You'll get a lot more participation.

purple1
7/21/2009 5:07 AM

Just came back from starbucks and used the free pastry coupon. Nice to have in the early morning and tried the raspberry muffin which was good. Thanks. Keep these promos!

deeh4979
7/21/2009 8:52 AM

I went to starbucks this morning at 8:00 and tehy had nothing.  They are located in Target and had just openned.  how ridiculous

Melody
7/21/2009 8:58 AM

I printed out a free pastry invitation for my boyfriend which he used early this morning and reported back that he was delighted to get a free scone. By the time I got to one my regular morning Starbucks, it was packed too full of people and the line wasn't moving too fast. I ended up going to Specialty's Bakery instead.

MamaMote
7/21/2009 8:59 AM

I live in a new community and decided I had to go get my pastry anyway. I knew where there was a Starbucks and went at 7:30. Got there and there were a lot of pastries left. Got myself the blueberry scone and bought my husband a blueberry coffee cake. And, of course, got my usual mocha. Thanks for having things like this. It was great! And I didn't get lost.

0m4r
7/21/2009 9:01 AM

I'm looking forward for the same initiative here in Germany (where I work) and I really hope a day to come back home in Italy and find a Starbucks close to my place ;)

blackcat920
7/21/2009 9:03 AM

Great experience today. Parking was great, crowd was handled very well, the staff was courteous, the coffee was excellent and my free pastry was available and yummy.

Kudos to you, Starbucks, for giving your customers some love.

clynn
7/21/2009 9:03 AM

I'm so disappointed in Starbucks.  My young kids and I went in before 10:30, kids holding their coupons in plain sight.  They understood that the free pastry was only while supplies last.  The worker let us order our beverages and then asked if there was anything else.  The kids gave him their coupons and he said they were all out of pastries, "the early bird gets the worm," he said.  So we got our drinks as one of the workers asked the manager if she should bring out the next tray of pastries and she said, "no, just wait 15 more minutes until 10:30 when the coupon ends."  At 10:30, out came the pastries.  I understand the company has to make money, but if there was any goodwill intentions, there are lost on me.  My kids could not understand.

Jan Marie
7/21/2009 9:16 AM

I'm sorry to see the comments about some people not getting the deal. Clynn, sounds like that manager wasn't so nice. I guess I'm lucky my store has great people working there. Deeh4979, I think maybe the ones in stores (like Target - we have one of those too) might not be 'participating' stores. Maybe it's just the regular stand-alone locations?

I got mine without a problem. I went in at about 10:05 and there were plenty of pastries. I didn't have a coupon (didn't know even know there WERE coupons), just asked if this location was participating, and she said yes, so I ordered a tall coffee frap and a cinnamon scone, and it was all good. She never mentioned a coupon. I suspect the people in my town didn't know about this special...

I loved this, I hope there are more things like this in the future. :)

ozziesmommy
7/21/2009 9:22 AM

THANK YOU STARBUCKS! I was so pleased to know that I could try a brand new pastry this morning free of charge with my daily purchase of the delectable iced venti skinny vanilla latte. I tried the lemon pound cake and it was delicious! The store line moved quickly and the staff were all very polite and professional under pressure. This is a GREAT way for Starbucks to reward their customers and introduce a new trend in using simpler ingredients. Thank you!

kallison
7/21/2009 9:36 AM

Thanks so much for your generosity, Starbucks :) What a nice thing to get my cinnamon coffee cake with some (red) coffee! Perfect morning.

dmdevnic
7/21/2009 9:37 AM

Bummed, told my husband about it, he and a friend went to a Starbucks, got coffee, and a pastry free ! yeah, me,I went to one of two (within a mile of each other)of  my neighborhood Starbucks, where I got at least 3x weekly and they said," you need the coupon"....it was 10:15am, now my husband didn't need one. I know they have different owners for the franchises but I thought they are all supposed to do everything the same?? is there coffee the same??? probably not .....NOT HAPPY, didn't get a coffee after that either, will go to the other Starbucks that is near me from now on!!!!!

aznewmom
7/21/2009 9:49 AM

Wow CLynn!  This promo seems to be backfiring at Bucks.  I'm another one who is NOT happy about it.  Sounds like even if we COULD have made it in to one, there wouldn't have been any pastries for my kids.  You were treated terribly and that stinks!!

I'm with a lot of the others here.  There wasn't ONE SB on the way to where the kids and I had to be this AM.  So, I PROMISED them we would hit Bucks on the way home to get them their pastry.  TEN THIRTY!?!?!??!

C'mon!!!  We are here at kid camp 'til noon.  I just told my DD that we will miss out and she isn't happy.  I know my son will be disappointed too.

Sorry....but this should have been all day and your stores should have been prepared w/enough pastries or at least a 'raincheck' if they ran out.

I'm very disappointed.  We will NOT be in today.

:-(

sbuxbacker
7/21/2009 10:01 AM

It is a scam!!!  I was at my local Sbux at 9:00, they only received a few trays of the free pastrys however there were more than enough in the counter.  When you say FREE it should be FREE and there should be sufficient amounts.  Your customer service leaves a lot to be desired, I am a frequent Starbucks customer but with cheaper competition and similar or better quality I'll become a frequent shopper of other local coffee shops...Starbucks offers NOTHING that I can't get elsewhere...thanks for the nudge.

Kimi5678
7/21/2009 10:20 AM

It was so awesome to get a free pastry.  The girl ringing me up had a stack of free pastry coupons next to her register so it was great to see so many people were using it.  It was fun to be a part of such a big group. And my blueberry muffin was yummy.  Thanks starbucks!  I am ready for the next one. :-)

Maxfun
7/21/2009 10:24 AM

I got an invitation via Facebook and an email direct from Starbucks about this event. I printed the coupon and went to a local store (my usual one is attached to a Barnes & Noble, so I went to a different one). Despite the fact that there were scones and bagels and coffeecake and donuts and what not prominently displayed in the case, I was told that the pastries they had been given to use for the promotion were gone, so the coupon was no good.

I went next door to Noah's Bagels and spent my money there instead.

Seems like some of your stores didn't execute this promotion the way you intended. I am NOT a happy camper. This is not the first time a Starbucks promotion failed on me. It may be the last time I try one, though. Coffee at Noah's was pretty darned good!

aeromujer
7/21/2009 10:25 AM

Wow...again, I feel like I have the best Starbucks in the US. I watched the employees in Starbucks in the North Augusta, SC bend over backwards for everyone there. The first-timers who held up lines had their questions (about beverages AND pastries) answered with smiles. They're not the type of store to say "No, we're out", and then have some hidden in the back.

It's sad that the management and/or staff in those other stores couldn't have been a bit more understanding & accomodating.

Afterall, it's all about repeat and new business opportunities...the AWESOME staff at the North Augsuta, SC store is the reason I drive across the river to SC.

Phil_in_SF
7/21/2009 10:40 AM

Or "Not-so-free Pastry Day", as the case may be!

You listed the items on the coupon, and then refuse to honor the coupon despite the fact that (as others have noted) those exact pastries are sitting in the pastry case while the promotion is still going on.

7/21/2009 10:42 AM

Sounds like many of you participated in Free Pastry Day.  Tell us what you think of the new food.  I tried the cinnamon roll this morning - delicious!

Wuzzy
7/21/2009 10:52 AM

Surprised to see the inconsistency of everyone's experience this morning.  Mine was the standard nothing too special but got what I needed even though it definitely was busier this morning.  Also wondered why there was not a take advantage of this promo day to do a rah rah in the stores such as customer appreciation sale let's say or someone such as a manager doing a walk around saying good morning.  Make it not just about a free pastry but glad you came today!!!

7/21/2009 10:54 AM

Love how you're thinking Wuzzy!  From my experience today, there were some stores that took the approach you suggest, but others did not.  Great learnings for next time.

Keyani
7/21/2009 10:58 AM

Just a note I made a previous comment and it was not posted.  The note was negative.  I suspect they are limiting the number of negative posts.

7/21/2009 11:01 AM

No posts were removed that I know of.  Posts are removed due to conflicts with the terms and conditions - like inappropriate language.

Keyani
7/21/2009 11:06 AM

no inappropriate language was in my previous post.  I simply stated my son and I did not receive the pastry because the barrista stated there were no more free pastries available, though the case was full of pastries.  I have been a loyal Starbucks customer for years.  That ended today.  I will now support a local coffee shop.   --- now can  you tell me why a post such as this was not published?  it was made prior to my last post?  Appears they are filtered for negative feedback not just language as you stated.

nosleepgeek2
7/21/2009 11:23 AM

For those that work odd shifts, the 10:30 am deadline doesn't work...how about distributing coupons and letting us use them whenever we can get to the local starbucks during the designated day?

dstover
7/21/2009 11:28 AM

I am a dedicated (addicted) Starbucks drinker, and stop EVERY morning for my coffee. Today was extra special due to the pastry promo. I opted for the cinnamon roll, which was an excellent suggestion from my barista.

Keep the promos coming; it was a special treat for the day.

vwrightadams
7/21/2009 11:31 AM

I didn't know that it was FPD, but purchased my regular grande mocha sans pastry. There were no notifications,  signs posted in the shop or indications other than the usual long line...my loss, I suppose! : (

runswthsizzrs
7/21/2009 11:38 AM

I was extremely confused and disappointed in the Nacogdoches,TX Starbuck's on North St. this morning. I came in with my two children and asked the server if it was indeed "free pastry" day as there was no information at all posted in the store....she said yes it was....I ordered 3 beverages expecting to get pastries and instead got  a receipt shoved at me with a notice on it that if I came back that same day after 2p.m. that I could get a Grande cold drink for $2......the manager finally allowed the server to give me a single pastry and kept telling me  the pastry thing was only for one day and I kept saying,"I know that....that day is supposed to be today!"  My poor server didn't know what to do but I feel like I have to tell you that it was all poorly handled and if you're going to advertise something then I want what you said you were going to do.  Furthermore, I do not appreciate being blown off by your manager and basically completely ignored and I will not visit the establishment again!

ElmoL
7/21/2009 11:43 AM

The store I went to this morning was packed but not many knew about the offer.

The girl at the counter was overwhelmed with the amount of customers.

The pastry was fine. But I keep having the same issue I've had in the past with food and Starbucks: 1. All food is stuffed in the same bag they stuff the prepackaged food sold on the counter, 2. They always assume it is to go and don't offer utensils or napkins, let alone the option to warm up the item.

If Starbucks wants to be serious about introducing food items into their work flow, they have to realize that food can not be treated like a cup of coffee since it takes several steps more: 1. For here or to go? 2. Warm or not.

Lastly, the bags have never worked for fresh food items. For example, you order a breakfast sandwich and all the cheese will melt into the side of the bag, thus making a mess. Or, you order a pastry that has some sort of frosting and the frosting gets stuck in the bag and you get less than what you paid for. Since the paper bag is to give notion of clean environment, you might need to go the route of Whole Foods and their to go cardboard containers.

I hope the suggestions help,

Elmo

kimmihef
7/21/2009 11:50 AM

I'm BUMMED!  I left my coupon at home and didn't get a free pastry...  it was almost 10 AM.  I didn't have enough time to go back home and get it before the promotion ended.  I think it would be beneficial to the environment if Starbucks would offer these free items to anyone with a Starbucks.com account and uses their card.  This way, there is no need to print out a coupon (and in my case forget it at home).  It would save many trees and make less hassle for dedicated customers.

starbucker2
7/21/2009 11:56 AM

You didn't mention the need to print out a pastry certificate, so I was disappointed that my delicious cinnamon bun wasn't free! Of course, I'll still go to S'bucks!

7/21/2009 11:57 AM

Sorry to hear about the forgotten invitation this morning kimmihef.  This was the first promotion where electronic invitations were accepted.  Many customers were able to show the invite on their phone.

It sounds like there may have been some operational difficulties at some stores.  We appreciate the feedback.

We do hope you try the new food - now free of artificial dyes, trans fats, flavors, and high fructose corn syrup.

Taxsmart
7/21/2009 12:04 PM

The Moreno Beach Store in Moreno Valley, CA  would not give away apple fritters even though the coupon says that they do .. misleading advertisement!!  They brought out a cheesy handmade sign and said that apple fritters were not listed on the sign. Dissappointed and to think that I carry their "Gold" Starbucks card with a $200 prepaid credit on it, auto refilling it monthly!!

d2r4s
7/21/2009 12:09 PM

Had a cinamon scone today and it was free, which is why it even tasted better than normal with my expresso makiato.

HLRJ09
7/21/2009 12:13 PM

Went to Starbucks this morning and got a Strawberry, bananna Vinnea and got not one but 3 free vanilla bean scones. They were very delicious. I also loved my drink, it was very filling, since I didn't have any breakfast this morning. Thanks Starbucks for todays free items.

kl000
7/21/2009 12:38 PM

*sigh* No coupon, no pastry....(yet the folks ahead of me got one w/o a coupon)...Coupon?  What coupon?  :)

[The coffee fix was still good...but still bummed, there were PLENTY of pastries, and no line at all]

stargazer87
7/21/2009 1:00 PM

I tried the orange scone and it was very tasty.  It has been a few years since I last tried a Starbucks scone, and I found today's version to be a smaller, more sensible size.  Overall I came away with quite a positive impression.

pbrseattle
7/21/2009 1:12 PM

I heard about the free pastry day on Facebook, but I didn't read anything about a coupon.  I went into my usual Starbucks at 2137 N Northgate Way, Seattle and orered my usual coffee.  As I was getting my receipt, I asked “is the free pastry a myth or are you really giving them away” because they just rung me up and didn’t say anything about it.  They said to get it I’d have to have a coupon or an iPhone so I can go to the website and show them the coupon.  I said “come on, I’m in here every day” and one just gave me the deer in the headlights look and didn’t know how to respond because it was outside her script and the guy said sorry, they need proof that I took the time to go to the website.  Really???  First, I’m there everyday.  Second, I pay with a Starbucks card, that is registered on the starbucks website, so duh, I obviously am not in there just for something free... and I have been to the website.  Third, why the heck is it that if you have an iPhone you get something free, but if you can’t afford one, then you’re screwed.  And it was the typical 7 people behind the counter and only one making drinks (and one on drivethru).  Why is it 4 people can just stand behind the register and talk to a customer about her hair and what hair style she should get and how long she had been groing it out and wasn't it longer before and only one person is making drinks for all those standing in line.  He had to chime into the hair conversation too.   I'm very discouraged with Starbucks and will be looking for other places to go.  I think you've totally forgotten what made you unique and it is apparent in more than one store I've bene in that you care less about your service and quality anymore.  And it's just painfully obvious in this Northgate store.

danibux
7/21/2009 1:15 PM

It is sad how mad people get over a pastry that is only ~$1.95...and the thought was nice.

1mbuch
7/21/2009 1:16 PM

I was really excited about going in with my coupon as I am a regular at Starbucks.  But was a bit disappointed when they said all that was available were the croussants.  There were plenty of other pantries in the case but was told they were saving those for the rest of the day.  What is that all about.  It was 9:45 a.m.  Shouldn't they have held up their side of the bargain gave me what I wanted which was a scone???  Good idea but poorly executed...Shame on Starbucks in Liberty Lake, WA!!

Shahna
7/21/2009 1:34 PM

I can't seen to dowload my coupon :(   What a bummer...

pbrseattle
7/21/2009 1:37 PM

Please don’t be so condescending danibux, it’s not the $1.95 people are upset about, it’s how people were treated.

attekeen
7/21/2009 1:41 PM

Starbucks is the best!

7/21/2009 1:41 PM

Thanks everyone for sharing your feedback about the new food at Starbucks.  There are some great stories about Free Pastry Day and some not so good stories about some of your experiences.  We have some opportunities for next time.

The purpose of Free Pastry Day was to have you try our new food.  We want to hear how it tastes.  Tell us, and let us know which food you like the most.

wifarmboy
7/21/2009 2:11 PM

Same neg things happening in wisconsin,I'm no marketing genius,but if it's only a $1.95 pastry,offer it to everyone to attract customer base,forget about printing it out to save trees.......(can't afford the i-phone either).As a registered starbucks card user,seemed really special to get the e-mail for a free pastry till i found out the WHOLE country got it.second time i got the shaft......I also was sent the free samples of the new instant but there wasn't any coffee packs inside the packet !! Maybe it's time to support my local coffee shop

isaacw
7/21/2009 2:11 PM

Unfortunately the copy on the web site did not make it very clear you had to bring in a coupon. Instead it used wording like "invitation" and was detailed in the second smallest type on the piece. When I came in sans "invitation", I was denied my free pastry - made me feel like a fool.

Suggestion: Next time, make the call to action painfully clear, AND the reward for the call to action painfully clear.

-isaacw

crumetoons
7/21/2009 2:11 PM

I drove 40 miles to my nearest Starbucks in Louisville, Ky only to find I needed the "invitation" to receive the free pastry. STARBUCKS- you should communicate more clearly how your offers work if you are going to continue to receive the customer loyalty you are accustomed to. As a result, I got a cup of Stabucks and drove the the nearby Krispy Kreme for some fresh donuts. Shame on you, Starbucks! Apparently you are hearing from a significant number of loyal customers who all had negative experiences.  I would hope you wouldn't resort to the cheap bait and switch advertising tactic simply to get people into your stores to try new products, but the experiences I am reading suggest you did.

I use  Starbucks coffee exclusively at home and keep doubleshots in my fridge at work, but the experience today makes me question my continued participation in your online promotions.

papacandler
7/21/2009 2:23 PM

We miss the coconut pastry

rchurc01
7/21/2009 2:45 PM

I went to the Starbucks in Point Loma, CA, showed them the coupon on my phone, and found out when I got home that I had been charged for the pastry.

cuzzie17
7/21/2009 2:46 PM

ok so i go to starbucks everymorning sometimes 2 times a day ...i went to get my free pastry and my usual servers are not there ....what they know me i never tell them what i want they know....ok a new server i didnt realize i had to have a coupon ...my fault ...but if my usual server was there i probably would have recieved it i sent out over 50 invites ....i should have recived the pastry disappointed i had to have a new server i want the old ones back........j

Momiji
7/21/2009 3:06 PM

I got my free pastry. :-D

sugardog
7/21/2009 3:10 PM

I went in this morning around 8:30 and got my usual coffee and a blueberry muffin. Thanks Starbucks for the free treat. It made my day!

sugardog
7/21/2009 3:12 PM

soniadora
7/21/2009 3:20 PM

I was extremely disappointed this morning as I went to my usual Starbucks,  ordered my beverage,  and when I asked about the free pastry, I was denied one because I did not have a coupon.  I had no idea a coupon was needed; had I known I would've printed it out. The person behind the counter made a fuss about it. Meantime, on the other side of town, my husband got his free pastry and wasn't even asked about a coupon.

This was my only shot to have breakfast today and it was totally ruined. Thanks Starbucks!

JennaMom
7/21/2009 3:28 PM

I went with my daughter and we got the iced lemon pound cake.  It was delicious and one of her favorites (she's two)!!  It was very nice to get something back from Starbucks.  I'm a long-time fan and already recruiting my daughter!  I took a picture of my daughter eating the cake and put it on facebook!

judopluto
7/21/2009 3:35 PM

Well I didn't get a coupon to print this am, but they did accept the invite on my BB from my Facebook account. Got myself a nicely frozen cinnamon scone - they were so busy they were behind in thawing them out! But it was all good - I nuked it for a few seconds at work and had a nice warm scone with my venti Americano! Bravo Starbucks! And the baristas' at the store in East Greenbush NY are the best.

Gary Stringham
7/21/2009 3:52 PM

I went today at 9:00am with my coupon, the Starbucks in Huntinton Beach said they had never heard of it and the coupon was a hoax. Still ended up buying a my usually coffee anyways.

Seattlejo
7/21/2009 3:53 PM

Redirecting everyone to talk about the food clearly isn't working.  Perhaps the coupon should have said "limited to the first ### per store?

I think it will take a bit of work to get everyone focused back onto how great the pastries tasted.

chianti82
7/21/2009 3:54 PM

Got an apple fritter with my skinny caramel latte.  Sooo good!!

tbrown6220
7/21/2009 4:44 PM

Thanks for picking July 21 -- my birthday -- to distribute free pastries. Had lots of friends celebrating with me around the US! Brought our own candles!

jasonmccue3719
7/21/2009 4:44 PM

Funny you said that you leave all post up??? This is a lie I make referance to bad service this morning. They remove the post SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE well get their coffee else were to be treated the same at a cheaper price.

Viva_Ballard
7/21/2009 5:02 PM

I love the Ballard, Seattle Starbucks, the baristas are friendly and fun.

This morning, someone in line was asking another about the coupon. A third person brought it up on their phone and showed it to the cashier. Everyone with a coupon got a pastry, if they didn't have a coupon, they just used the guy's phone. No one was told they couldn't get this or that.

Saw several kids clutching coupons. The staff treated them like little royalty, though they were crazy busy.

They were out of the new morning buns :( but I tried the banana bread which was good.

One comment, though. My friend wanted the lemon bread, but passed because it was on a plate touching the walnut bread. She's allergic to nuts. Not a severe reaction, just enough not to want a pastry thats touching them. Was told Starbucks sez to put them on the same plate. Thats just, well, nuts.

Separate the nut/ non-nut items, please.

ldeponte
7/21/2009 5:05 PM

There seems to be lots of positive feedback about the Free Pastry give away.  As a partner, it was made very clear that customers were only allowed a pastry if they gave us the coupon or showed it to us on the phone.  Our stores were given lots of free pastries, but of course some stores would run out before 10:30 am.  There were other pastries in the back room but those were for making profit and afternoon customers (the  pastries were given to us by the company for FREE ), but we also had needed pastries for the rest of the customers.  It was hectic, yes, but it was a nice gesture on Starbuck's part.  Customers unable to "accomodate" getting one free pastry only need to go into their starbucks later on a purchase a pastry, we can't have lines out the door the entire day and the $2 treat receipt was still going on-so either way you could've had a nice treat.  I wouldnt be angry if I didnt get something for free-how often does that happen anyway?

CMitchell317
7/21/2009 5:10 PM

Wow, I'm shocked to see so many bad experiences.  I guess I'm just lucky enough to frequent a store with excellent service and great employees.  I went in around 6:45 am as I usually do.  I asked if there were any restrictions on what kind of pastry I could get and they said no.  I remembered to print my coupon, but several other regulars were there who hadn't remembered and they still received their free pastry.  The apple fritter was great with my Red Eye!

puppykatie
7/21/2009 5:21 PM

Disappointed! I didn't get my notice until this evening; the offer was over by then.

SPIKE PLACE
7/21/2009 5:37 PM

WENT TO STARBUCKS IN HEIGHTS VILAGE ROAD IN BIRMINGHAM, AL. INFORMED BARISTA I HAD NO WAY TO PRINT PROMO AND I HAD NO INTERNET CONNECTION ON MY PHONE. WHY WOULD STARBUCKS WANT SOMEONE TO BURN A PIECE OF PAPER WHEN THE WHOLE WORLD KNEW ABOUT THE PROMO?? THE MANAGER JESSICA SPOKE TO ME AS IF I WAS FABRICATING MY STORY.  SHE SAID NO PROMO FOR YOU! I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL STARBUCKS  CUSTOMER FOR 20YEARS! MUST NOT MATTER? CALLED DISTRICT MGR. DAVID AT 9AM TODAY AND NO CALL BACK? NO TIME FOR CUSTOMERS AT CAHABA!  STARBUCKS IS A LUXURY ITEM IN TODAY'S WORLD!

WENT DOWN THE STREET TO ANOTHER STARBUCK'S SHOP, GOT GREAT SERVICE !  THEY EVEN ACCEPTED MY STORY AND I WAS NOT TREATED AS A LIAR! I STILL LIKE STARBUCKS , NOT THE STORE ON HEIGHTS VILLAGE ROAD IN BIRMINGHAM, AL.

Nyanchan
7/21/2009 6:50 PM

Great idea and very nice of you to have this promotion.  But, have to say was very disappointed. The store on Park Ave in Winter Park FL was totally overwhelmed and under-staffed. Went with my daughter at 9:30 AM and was very rudely told that I could buy but they had no free stuff left. At this time, there were very few customers in the store.   I ,of course, still made my purchases and had a nice time with my 4 yo.  Same "barista" repeated her very rudely delivered message many times in the 30 min that I was there.  Starbucks- Remember the Oprah-KFC debacle? One would think that your stores & staff would be appropriately prepped. {{shaking head}}   ** PLEASE NOTE- I am not disappointed that I didn't get "free stuff", I'm disappointed by the lack of respect and courtesy by the staff.  Oh- and that the bathroom was DISGUSTING, but they were too understaffed to do anything about it.

Hayley
7/21/2009 7:22 PM

I had a very pleasant experience this morning.  I arrived at my usual Starbucks (Park Place Mall, Tucson, AZ) a little earlier than usual this morning as I anticipated it to be busy.  I had no problem getting a pastry, I tried the new pumpkin loaf.   It was tasty and I wasn't sure I would like it as much as the old one with the pumpkin seeds on top, but I enjoyed it!

I felt bad for the baristas there as they brought in an extra since they thought they would be busy, but they were not.  And had tons of pastries available at 7:30 am when I was there.  I hope they got busier as the morning progressed as they do a great job there!

Thanks Starbucks for a great morning treat!

mz
7/21/2009 7:35 PM

I was pretty excited about going to my Starbucks in Thibodaux, LA this morning.  I saw the ads on facebook for the past couple days advertising free pastry day and decided to treat myself to a frap and a free scone.

Got into the store this morning around 8:30 ordered my frapp and asked about free pastry day and which of pastries I could get when I was curtly informed that free pastry day was in May and not July.

Did a quick search online when I got home just to make sure that I wasn't crazy and that free pastry day was, in fact, TODAY, and I found this blog.

Thanks, Starbucks, now I know I'm not crazy.  But, you might want to consider double checking that your stores get the memo about your promos.  I've never been made feel a beggar after buying something from someone.  Hrm.

Coffehappy
7/21/2009 8:45 PM

Not for those that live in Hawaii...while we may have received the email coupon for free pastry, we did not get to enjoy the benefit, which was not stated on the emailed coupon. This gold card member is very unhappy.

redchickadee
7/21/2009 8:57 PM

This promotion really backfired, there were a lot of irritated people at my Seattle Starbucks. It was barely 9:30, the pastry case was PACKED with all kinds of pastries including all those listed on the coupons. I asked to use my coupon and was told "Sorry, there are no free pastries left." Funny, because there were plenty of pastries you could PAY for.

The guy ahead of me had to actually hand his pastry back, in the bag, to the cashier because he was told his coupon was no good, no free pastries left.

redchickadee
7/21/2009 9:06 PM

Just to be clear.. It's not about not getting something "free", it's just that it seems like a big company like Starbucks would be careful to say "while supplies last" and then indicate that supplies in the pastry case don't count.  I wouldn't even have noticed or cared if I didn't spend $150/month at that store.

oliviapalmer
7/21/2009 9:18 PM

i was so excited to learn about 'free pastry day' as a fun excuse to take a morning walk to my regular starbucks. i was disappointed, however, to be given an attitude by the barista. i was told that i needed the coupon and was treated rather rudely. bummer.

starmanjim
7/21/2009 9:40 PM

I used the free pastry coupon on my phone didn't have to print on paper.  Nice to save paper.  Thanks. Keep these promos!

carmellover
7/21/2009 11:09 PM

I am really disgusted actually with this free pastry day. I went to the store to find that they had ran out of pastries at 8am but I was confused because the coupon had said all pastries and they still had the coffee cake that I wanted. The odd part is when i got home to look at the coupon from my link, the coupon was not there anymore. The coupon did say you could show it from you phone or print the coupon. I makes me realize why i am slowly getting away from starbucks and heading to coffee shop around the corner for my new favorite or hazelnut coffee.

I also have to say that the gold card is a scam as well. Why would anyone get a gold card when a regular reward card works the same way but you don't have to pay for it and you use it for drinks as you need it, even the reward card allows internet access. Not happy with starbucks.

They were one of my favorite thing...and now making me run around for a free pastry ...i think they should allow for redemption at another time.

ron37
7/22/2009 7:10 AM

I printed out the free coupon and had an egg wrap with reduced fat blueberry coffe cake and free coffee. You all at Starbucks need to have more customer appreciation days during a strong recession with free coffee and food. Use 100% whole wheat flour for the pastries instead on enriched for alternatives to people eating healthier.

purple1
7/22/2009 7:16 AM

I hope after reviewing the problems with implementing this promo that you offer it again. When properly implemented, it is a great promo. As ron37 said, you should have more customer appreciation days!

ron37
7/22/2009 7:21 AM

I'd like to see different varieties of healthier whole wheat egg wraps, possibly using egg beaters as a substitute for those trying to lower their cholesterol. I do like the one you have now.

purple1
7/22/2009 9:03 AM

I agree with ron37 about getting new foods with egg whites or egg beaters and whole wheat wraps. I thought from previous comments that SB was working on some new breakfast sandwiches. Where does this stand? And will they have no egg, no meat?

Helibride
7/22/2009 2:07 PM

I'm boycotting Sbux because they discontinued the GF orange cake.  According to the coupon, I should have been able to get one for free...but they are nowhere to be found.

Good-bye.  It's been a great 12 years...I was just dx with celiac and you don't care about anyone with celiac, so I guess that's that.

ron37
7/22/2009 4:50 PM

The piadinnis that you have could incorporate egg beaters or egg whites and turkey sausage or bacon and a green vegetable. 100% whole wheat flour in the bread also I would like to see in one. Got to make healthier foods at Starbucks.

dawnnys
7/22/2009 6:33 PM

Gees, some of the comments would make me think twice about ever returning to Starbuck's - seems like those store managers didn't abide by the terms stated on the coupon.

My experience was  a little different.  By the time I actually FOUND  the store (wrong address given here on the starbucks.com site), the promo had ended 2 minutes before.  "Sorry" was all I got there.

Had a delicious "sandwich" breakfast and small coffee next door though, and it was about the same price as just the coffee would've been at SBucks.  So I'm happy, but not because of SBucks. :o( Also a little disappointed that the pastry items listed on the coupon were not carried at that store - only 3 or 4 choices, but like I said, I went next door!  It was the principle of the thing, not that I wouldn't have paid the $2 for the pastries that they did have.

rbinfremont
7/22/2009 11:42 PM

I am diappointed that I had no idea the promotion was going on until today.  I am a frequent Starbucks customer, however I was out of town on a family vacation on the free pastry day.   We did go to starbuck yesterday morning (around 9:00 am) bought seven drinks (the expensive ones) and no one even mentioned the free pastries.  You would think that Starbucks would take care of customers buying multiple drinks - and surprise us with a free pastry.  I feel cheated.

Anonymous
7/23/2009 1:56 AM

Starbucks STOP sending me promo coupons once I stopped re-filling my Starbucks card. I just found this BLOG for "Free Pastry Day". This is mis-leading for some of us. Some of us would like to have the PASTRY mid-day OR even anytime on that DAY.

It should have been called "Free Pastry This Morning!"

If this promo was only VALID until 10:30am that morning and it seems most of your smaller stores were over-whelmed and LACK of sense how to take care of your Regulars. The STORE manager should have been able to handle the situations. This is STEP ONE of being a Manager with responsibilty.

They represent the STARBUCKS Coffee for the Corporate offices. I would hope the Corporate mgmt would use their "skills" to lead their Stores for a change.

soccersarah2
7/23/2009 8:47 AM

At my store, the people on the registers were asking everyone (coupon or not) if they wanted a free pastry. Everytime I looked at the pastry case, it was being refilled. People loved it that they got a free pastry! They seemed to be excited when they got their receipt for the $2 drink too.

Anonymous
7/23/2009 11:27 AM

I had an experience at the Columbia Tower (1st floor) floor Starbucks that was very similar to others who got 'stiffed'.  I am a daily (sometimes 2x) to various downtown Seattle Starbucks as well as a long-time stockholder who has taken a mega-hit on share drop.  Coupon was presented at 9:45 but 'free pastry' offier wasn't honored while adequate supplies were available, just not the free.  Who cares about $1.95?  I don't but I do care about the 10's of $1,000's that my stock has lost in value due in part to poorly executed management like this promotion.

coffeecakeb
7/23/2009 1:17 PM

I tried the cinnamon rolls and my wife had the croissant.

They were horrible!

The croissant was stale, and the cinnamon roll was still forzen in the inside.

I know you changed your scones and cookies. Did you change the croissant and cinnamon rolls too?

flukes
7/24/2009 5:14 PM

I got the petite vanilla bean scones for my treat and I LOVE those...I"ve been getting them almost everyday since....though they run out of them a lot, so I suppose that means they're popular.  PLEASE KEEP THESE!  I, along with many people, have been upset that our favorite pastries (a.k.a. berry stella for me) have been discontinued.  Please don't take away the petite vanilla bean scones...it's the perfect size and so yummy!

carollk
7/27/2009 5:51 AM

My husband and I had a very good experience on Free Pastry Day, but I'm horrified to read about the experiences of others and also that sbx_bean doesn't seem to care very much.  So I'll do what she should be doing and encourage you all to e-mail Starbucks, detailing your experience along with the exact Starbucks location.  This is what I did last year when I used a treat receipt order a Vivanno and an iced tea and the barista tried to give me the $2.00 price on the $1.80 iced tea.  And the store manager didn't understand the problem until I explained it to him for the third time.    Starbucks sent me two coupons for complimentary beverages as an apology.

RyMush
7/28/2009 10:01 AM

Great promotion!

marypeng
7/28/2009 11:49 AM

I loved the promotion...and the fact you could use your phone to show the coupon.  I'm actually kind of a nerd so I had to write about it too. lol.

marypeng.wordpress.com/.../mobile-marketing-are-you-ready

oppenheimer
7/30/2009 6:40 PM

It was a great promotion, but the gluten-free orange valencia cake wasn't offered any longer at our participating Starbucks.  You have lots of new food offerings, but you took away the only gluten-free food option.  It doesn't make any sense.

COFFEEISLIFE
8/1/2009 6:00 PM

All in all Free Pastery Day was a hit. Practice makes it better. Hope to see it again.

COFFEEISLIFE
8/1/2009 6:08 PM

Sell whole cake,breads dozens would be nice. Maybe have another Free Pastry Day before the Holidays( Thanksgiving & Christmas). Then offer your baked items whole cakes, entire loafs and others by the dozens . Maybe be able to order online or at the store ahead pay and pick-up later. say place orders by tuesdays and pickup are on thursdays.

MPapa
8/7/2009 5:32 AM

I too experienced difficulty with my coupon.  I went to the Starbucks near my office at 9AM and was told only the lemon loaf or the donut were available "free". When I asked about everything else in the pastry case (which was fully stocked). They told me they ran out of the rest of the free pastries.  I don't understand.  I still love Starbucks, but it left me annoyed that day.

imisscookies
8/12/2009 6:20 AM

Would have been great if this was an all day offer as I went through Facebook to get the coupon and then wrestled with all that rigamorole and, well, some of us WORK in the morning before Starbuck's opens. Ended up being a waste of paper.

nastahz
8/23/2009 11:53 AM

please email me a printable coupon for starbuck breakfast blend coffee beans, my email address is ( janc70506@yahoo.com ) THANKS

nastahz
8/24/2009 8:46 AM

where is my printable coupon for starbuck breakfast blend coffee beans ? email me at      janc70506@yahoo.com             THANKS

newgirl0802
2/11/2010 3:39 PM

This would be a great reward for your starbucks rewards program.

COFFEEISLIFE
3/8/2010 9:18 PM

i am ready for the next Free Pastry Day!