Would you like a free tall cup of coffee?

Hi there, it’s Leigh from the packaged coffee team.  I wanted to see if any of you would like a free tall cup of brewed Starbucks® coffee?  I figured you did…so all you need to do is buy a specially marked bag of ground Starbucks® coffee where you buy your groceries.  Once you have used up all your coffee, just bring your empty bag into your local participating Starbucks store and redeem it for your free tall brewed coffee.  The specific details are on the side of the package but I think you get the gist….buy a bag of Starbucks® coffee where you buy groceries, take your empty bag in to a participating Starbucks store (in the US) and-voilà-you receive a free tall brewed coffee.

kjminton
12/11/2009 6:38 PM

Participating? Why are all SBX not participating?

Delli1750
12/12/2009 12:49 AM

Seems to be a good idea, but I'll have to check it out...

kjminton
12/12/2009 12:52 PM

Here is another promo/benefit that the licensed stores will not honor.

michminn
12/13/2009 12:40 PM

only corporate stores are able to.

RichM
12/15/2009 8:54 AM

Found out the disappointing way that the store where I usually stop is not participating :-(

Handed him the bag with the coupon on the side and he just looked at me like 'what am I supposed to do with that?'.  They were nice about it, but felt like an idiot for bring them something to throw away LOL.

Suite2100
12/16/2009 11:46 AM

I have never noticed this on the packaging. I really like Starbucks  but avoid the packaged coffee due to the odd price premium vs other branded coffees in bags. It is often $2.50 more than DK, Petes etc in the Giant grocery store by my house. So this closes the gap a bit but if only corporate stores do it then it is of limited value as a promotion. Ibri there is a lot of angst on this site about confusing promos that associates in the stores are ignorant of or that only apply in corporate stores - so if this program is important to you - you likely need to make sure these two issues are addressed in your post first - before posting.

JoyfulBarista
12/17/2009 10:26 AM

the disparaging remarks about lincened stores...well show some ignorance. Licensed stores are by definition NOT owned by Starbucks...so, they don't get the income that come in from the sale of the coffee...so why the heck would they give you something free for purchasing it?

GemsAlive
12/20/2009 4:52 PM

How can I buy a package of Starbucks coffee at my grocery store if there is no Starbucks in the store to sell it?  I shop at the Canby, OR Safeway.  It's the only Safeway I have been in that DOESN'T have a Starbucks!

KRBomar
12/21/2009 10:09 AM

It's probably just me, but I think the SBX you can buy at the grocery store is NOT nearly as good as the pkgd coffee at you can purchase at SBX stores.

12/21/2009 11:37 AM

@GemsAlive - Starbucks Coffee is sold in the grocery aisle.

jillybean007
12/22/2009 6:09 PM

How can you find out the participating locations for this offer? I live in the Minneapolis area.

12/23/2009 4:50 PM

@jillybean007 - All Starbucks company-operated stores are participating.  These are generally stand alone stores vs. the kiosks in a grocery store or airport.

12/23/2009 5:28 PM

@jillybean007 - one more thing - check out starbucks.com/store locator to see a list of stores in your area.

lark1313
6/27/2010 11:23 AM

Only good for BREWED coffee - i.e. not espresso drinks. Maybe the coupons shouldn't be on bags of Espresso beans?! Yes, I was had when I brought in my espresso bag without noticing the BREWED stipulation and was told I couldn't use it to pay for my espresso drink. Either make the coupon good for ANY tall coffee - or don't put it on bags of espresso!

coganhawk
7/5/2010 1:22 PM

Can you please tell me if Starbucks recycles the bean bags after you return them to the store for your free coffee?  Thx!

Java4me2
8/13/2010 5:30 AM

Come on people...it's a good thing for the majority of people. I get my coffe at the store and SB and they taste the same....I like the idea of the grocery stores selling Starbucks and giving you a free cup of coffee......what's the big deal with the complaints.....get a grip!!

daisypicker9
9/6/2010 4:27 PM

What does Starbucks do with these bags once they are turned in?  Do you recycle them?  Would a store be willing to give them to me?  I make things out of them.

greengirl77
3/26/2011 8:13 PM

Unfortunately, Starbucks does not recycle these bags.  In fact, I specifically asked about these bags today, as I frequently bring them back to the store thinking they will be recycled.  Wrong!  There is no recycling program at Starbucks-- the bags are simply thrown away.  Additionally, when my friend and I asked for our coffees for 'in store' (in ceramic mugs) the staff did not even know if they had any or where they were kept.  Many Starbucks branches don't even offer the option of using ceramic cups and you can only get your coffee in paper cups.

The Starbucks website has a link called 'Responsibility' that states:

"Customers staying in a store can also request that their beverages be served in a ceramic mug. Every paper cup saved helps keep our forests intact."   But unfortunately, I have yet to witness this practice in stores.  I'd like to see Starbucks back up its words with true actions, and not just say what people want to hear.  Currently, Starbucks has no true commitment to being green.

broken524
1/22/2012 8:06 AM

Leigh or sbx_bean, can you answer this question? I went into my local store and the lady behind the counter "Karen" told me her store was a franchise and didnt participate. However, it doesn't share a storefront with anyone else. Can you confirm if this is accurate? Starbucks Coffee #7321, 8104A Arlington Blvd, Falls Church,VA. How do we tell which ones participate from the store locator application?

broken524
1/22/2012 8:07 AM

Brightside
10/20/2012 5:11 PM

We used our "free tall brewed coffee" offer that was on our bag of Starbucks coffee. We were told they did not take them any more. When we questioned this another person said they can "push" it through but that program is over. Is this the best way to address a customer? They made us feel like we were too poor to buy a coffee. We have a gold card and do buy cofffee. However we also have over 20 "free cups" via the coffee bag offer. I have not seen anywhere that this program has ended. The stores still are selling bags with the "free cups" on the bag. This program should be honored as long as there are bags with this offer printed on them. A little customer service training wouldn't hurt either!