New Spring Beverage: The Cherries Are In Bloom!

Hello hello, it’s Louisa, product manager for our delicious new spring espresso beverage: Dark Cherry Mocha. It’s a combination of Starbucks® espresso, bittersweet chocolate sauce, dark cherry syrup, and steamed milk topped with whipped cream and dark chocolate curls. Irresistible and decadent!

This beverage has been a huge hit in our international markets since its 2008 debut, and we are excited to bring it to our customers in Canada and the U.S. this spring. Look for it in stores over the next couple of weeks.  Since spring is a mixed-bag of weather, Dark Cherry Mocha was developed to be delicious hot or iced - Drinking it iced is simply delicious and now one of my favorite beverages.  Give Dark Cherry Mocha a try and let me know what you think.  Cheers!

Inspired by your idea:

Cherry Mocha
posted by nerisman

Steve 2
2/22/2010 7:09 PM

ABOUT TIME!!

Steve 2
2/22/2010 7:11 PM

WHAT TOOK SO LONG??

mocha2go
2/22/2010 7:34 PM

YUM!!!  :)

hotbarista@SP
2/22/2010 8:31 PM

as a partner ive already previewed this flavor.. and was not impressed. a 4 pump DC 4 pump MO tasted like cough syrup. i think this (being the normal standard) will scare away alot of the customers that might try one out, and then get that horrible flavor. i found that a 2 pump DC 3 pump MO worked out very nicely tho... just a little fyi!

HESmalley
2/23/2010 4:20 AM

Can this be made so it's vegan-friendly?  Soy milk....but what abut the sauce and syrup?  Of course no whipped cream either.  Thanks!  :)

mabrown76
2/23/2010 5:54 AM

Will the syrups be available in sugar free?  This sounds awesome so I hope so!

drakeshipway
2/23/2010 6:28 AM

I'm wondering the same thing as well.. Is it vegan friendly??

(Soy, no whip) - I know the dark chocolate curls are, if they're the same

ones you've always used. But what about the Dark Chocolate Syrup??

robinski
2/23/2010 8:09 AM

It can't get here soon enough!

Sbuxhokie
2/23/2010 8:41 AM

Is there a way we can see when it will be available at stores around us?

BradCollins
2/23/2010 9:57 AM

Ditto: It can't get here soon enough!

Doesn't get much better than dark chocolate covered cherries.

2/23/2010 10:05 AM

This beverage is delicious.  It is not too sweet and the cherry flavor is great!

@HESmalley & @drakeshipway - the beverage can be made with soy milk and no whip cream and they are the same chocolate curls we've used for other beverages.

Louisa S.
2/23/2010 10:15 AM

@Sbuxhoki - some areas are launching early, but the beverage will be available in all of the US and CAN as of 3/9.

2/23/2010 10:20 AM

@mabrown76 - the Dark Cherry Mocha is not available sugar-free.  The beverage team is aware that "more sugar-free syrups" is a top idea on MSI and the idea is currently being vetted.

drakeshipway
2/23/2010 1:47 PM

Great to hear! Is the 'bittersweet chocolate sauce' also vegan friendly?

cqaron
2/23/2010 4:59 PM

It will be great for people who like Dr. Pepper of Cherry Coke.

As for myself I am not a great fan of either of the products w/ Cherry flavour. It reminded me of cough syrup.

cranBliss7
2/24/2010 8:22 AM

The chocolate sauce is NOT vegan friendly.  There IS milk product in the mix that creates the chocolate sauce.

Vesper Boss
2/24/2010 7:27 PM

So this can be ordered as a frappuccino too, right?

2/25/2010 8:42 AM

@Vesper Boss - Yes you can order the Dark Cherry Mocha as a frappuccino.

AyPapi
2/25/2010 9:58 PM

Cannot wait! Thanks for making this!

bige
2/26/2010 8:46 AM

looks good

christamcd
2/26/2010 12:48 PM

@CranBliss the mix is different than the what is offered retail? Because I have read the ingredients of what is offered retail and didn't see anything non-vegan.

yep
2/26/2010 3:14 PM

why make a diff falovored one if you already have a lot, i dont get it

Kape Noelito
2/27/2010 12:28 AM

Starbucks Coffee Philippines had Dark Cherry Mocha as its featured beverage (hot, iced, or frap) for Christmas in 2008 and 2009. I love this drink a lot especially with a shot of espresso. Hope you guys will like it as much as we, Filipinos, did. =D

lightrail
3/1/2010 3:26 PM

This new syrup is amazing! I just added 3 pumps of the dark cherry syrup to a plain cream based Frappuccino and it was to good to be true! I'm gold level card holder and I was wondering why the syrup didn't come off my bill and I was still charged for it $3.25 instead of $2.80?

pentamom
3/2/2010 11:54 AM

Can the frap be made with the low fat base?  I am really looking forward to more sugar free choices.  I love you coffees.

3/2/2010 4:50 PM

@pentamom - yes, this can be made with the frappuccino light base.

shan_m84
3/2/2010 5:05 PM

i work at a sfaeway starbucks, and we started selling ther dark cherry mochas on 2/22. we passed out a ton of samples and they were a HUGE hit! i love the cherry syrup! the DCM's taste just like cherry cordials, and a Dark Cherry Creme Frap tastes JUST like a cherry dilly bar from Dairy Queen! And Dark cherry blended lemonades...SO refreshing! they are absolutely delicious, and i hope the flavor becomes core! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

chiblonde1
3/3/2010 11:15 AM

this new drink is awesome!  my friends and i love it.  i have tried it hot and iced....next time going to try frap style.  another addiction to add to my list.  yum!

Wice
3/4/2010 10:33 AM

When will this be available?  I am in Cincinnati, and I have not been to a Starbucks yet that has this.

roxy1171girl
3/6/2010 12:20 PM

I have had this drink before and it is not very good. It tastes like cherry cough syrup has been added to it.  I would not launch this drink at all. I would rather you bring back the caramel brulee before this drink.

ChickPurple
3/8/2010 11:07 AM

This is being sold in stores, and yet when I go to the website to  look at the nutrition information, there is none on the website. Please update this!!!!!!!!

3/8/2010 1:54 PM

The Dark Cherry Mocha should be in all stores tomorrow.  Thanks everyone for sharing your feedback!

SML
3/8/2010 10:05 PM

I personally don't like cherries, but I was talking to a Starbucks employee (from a previous employee perspective) and was wondering why none of the new pastries coming out have cherry in them?  I mean a cherry tart would be delicious if you liked cherries.

lbrooks
3/9/2010 5:54 PM

I love the chocolate cherry idea, but the dark chocolate is too overpowering for me.  Why not have a white chocolate cherry version as well?

Granny J
3/9/2010 11:40 PM

Sorry for not liking your newest offering - but then I think Schwalder Kirshtorte is disgusting also.  I was most dismayed to see that the signature hot chocolate was replaced by this.  It is of course purely selfish as my husband doesn't really drink coffee but he loved the signature hot chocolate.  Now it is harder to convince him to stop for a daily treat.  Perhaps you can return the signature for holiday treats like at Valentines, Easter and Christmas which are all heavy chocolate times

cranBliss7
3/10/2010 10:04 AM

Christam-- it is different, unless it's been changed within the past 6 months since I was employed at Starbucks.  I'm certain there is milk product in the Mocha sauce because I had a vegan customer ask before, and when checking the ingrediants on the bag of powder there was powdered milk listed.

ccbttr
3/11/2010 4:17 PM

it is vegan friendly. in northern va, i had my barista check the ingredients in the mocha mixture. she said all they did was add water to it, and she read off the list of ingredients for me. i'm vegan, so she was very careful to make sure there was no milk product.

icefan
3/12/2010 11:07 AM

Any place we can buy the dark chocolate curls used to top this drink, they  are yummy and would make any coffee drink better --loved the lite dark cherry mocha frap I tried this past weekend, delicious and I'm not a cherry fan at all--now my favorite special drink at Starbucks.

florida shark
3/14/2010 8:05 AM

The Dark Cherry Mocha Fraps are so good that some state will likely start charging a entertainment tax on this item.

I  HOPE THIS IS OFFERED ALL YEAR.    :)

Wallen
3/14/2010 9:59 AM

The mocha syrup at Starbucks IS vegan, however the cherry syrup, like most if not all other syrups at Starbucks, contains "natural flavors" which most vegans should recognize as containing milk product.

leidbug0
3/17/2010 1:50 PM

I haven't tried the hot mocha, but the Dark Cherry Mocha frappuccino is probably the best drink I have ever tasted.  Please make it a permanent!

OasisDouglas
3/18/2010 9:34 PM

I LOVE the  syrup. Any chance we might be able to buy a bottle? (like the other flavors)  Right now the stores do now allow it. Thx.

Sara1231
4/5/2010 2:32 PM

We just blogged about this new drink...hope everyone out there is loving it as much as we are at Viewpoints.com. www.viewpoints.com/.../New-Spring-Drinks-You-Should-Try

rayolyte
12/2/2010 7:25 PM

Bring it back!!!  My local Starbucks ordered the syrup b/c I am a good customer (Gold Card for the next 2 years)  & this is now the only drink I purchase.

amspms
1/2/2011 3:17 PM

Please bring it back my local starbucks also over orderd, because  I get 2 -3 dark cherry fraps a day (I am also a gold card holder) I have stopped using my gold card because  when my supply runs out I will no longer be going to starbucks its the only drink I buy

BH33306
2/15/2011 1:10 PM

I would love to see this one come back! It was all I drank for several months until my Starbucks ran out....

Raven66
3/2/2011 10:56 AM

Now if only this would come back! And maybe make it's debut on the permanent list.

Anonymous
3/25/2011 8:17 PM

Please! Oh please! Bring it back!  I am not a fan of coffee. But when a friend of mine talked me into trying the new cherry flavor from last spring, I was hooked. I absolutely love the dark cherry mocha and was so broken hearted when it was discontinued. I would order this everyday if it was put on the permanent menu. I have tried other flavors, but have not found one I like. Please unbreakable my poor little cherry loving heart.

sadcherrylover
3/25/2011 8:22 PM

Bring me back to Starbucks. Please!!! Bring back dark cherry mocha!!!!

nickity
3/26/2011 7:09 PM

PLEASE bring back the Dark Chery Mocha. I thought it was already out so I made a special trip to my Starbucks only to find out there not carrying it and "not planning to anytime too soon as far as they know". THat was the best drink youve ever come up with (other than the peppermint mocha (hot in the winter is amazing, but it sux cold and is not spring/summer-y) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring this back!!!!!!!! I hate going to other coffee shops for crappy coffee but sometimes feel like i dont have a choice, and as a Gold Card member i'd like to be able to keep my loyal business with my fav drinks!

kalexandrad
3/30/2011 1:38 PM

I know making drinks at home is never the same as the real deal, but Torani makes a cherry syrup that you can buy retail (I always see it at Cost Plus World Market).  Or bring your own "shot" of it to Starbucks and ask if the barista will recreate the drink for you.

Ferrari12
9/12/2011 10:45 PM

Okay, this drink seriously NEEDS to come back.  The most heavenly drink I have ever had from Starbucks.  Ever.

Dawn11522
10/7/2011 1:55 PM

agreed!! Bring it back!!  It was Fantastic!!!  SO sad that it is gone!!

jennsand
6/28/2012 11:47 AM

I'm still craving this drink.  I miss you, Dark Cherry Mocha!

Jodi Lane
8/31/2013 11:10 PM

I STILL WANT THIS DRINK...please?