Join us for Free Pastry Day March 23

Hi,

It’s Erin on the food team with a super sweet reminder -- Free Pastry Day is March 23 and is better than ever! Free Pastry Day was such a success the first time, we are doing it again as a way to thank our customers and invite them to experience our great food.  Don't miss out - so your ready for Free Pastry Day - set your alarm and remember to print the invitation or show it on your mobile device.   This is your chance to try one of our delicious pastries on the house when you purchase a hand-crafted or brewed beverage and find the perfect match to your daily drink.

Free Pastry Day starts at opening (4:30 am for 24 hour stores) tomorrow and runs until 10:30 am or until pastries are gone.  We have many delicious ways to start your day.  My favorite is the vanilla sparkle doughnut – you can indulge in a yummy vanilla cake doughnut topped with sugar crystals with only 120 calories.

Thank you for being great customers! Come back to the site tomorrow and let us know what free pastry you tried.

Erin

Get the Coupon

Steve 2
3/22/2010 9:20 AM

Ah but you have to buy a drink the get a free pastry so therefore the pastry really isn't free.

Steve 2
3/22/2010 10:11 AM

Just like that free birthday dinner gimmick at some restaurants.  Sure it's a free birthday dinner BUT you have to buy another dinner to get your free dinner.

3/22/2010 12:47 PM

Hi Steve,

I plan on buying a short bold brew - (Starbucks)RED East Africa blend along with my pastry.  A fantastic deal - breakfast at Starbucks for about a dollar and a terrific coffee experience.

Steve 2
3/22/2010 7:49 PM

Gave a nice breakfast Cecile!

purple1
3/23/2010 8:33 AM

Got the blueberry scone. Ok but a bit dry. Haven't had one in a so long. The earlier version was better.

SODO
3/23/2010 11:15 AM

A great idea!  Sorry that I found out too late.  Arrived at my local Starbucks at 10am with my coupon, but they were out of free pastries.  Oh well.  Maybe next time!

Ilikeithot99
3/23/2010 11:30 AM

I went to my local Starbucks to redeem my coupon and found out that I was too late--10:35, but they still had pastries. I understood that the coupon was good until the pastries were not available. Oh well!

Ilikeithot99

RMLea
3/23/2010 12:12 PM

As I posted on my Facebook Page, the Starbucks at 5th and Church in Nashville claimed to be "sold out" by 8:00 AM, having no pastries in the display case. I was not bothered by this until I saw on the rack on the floor a box of Cupcakes and a box of Scones. I was quite piqued by this, and I will not be back to that store.  In the last 5 years I have probably bought upwards of 100 drinks there (making it my fourth most frequent Starbucks store.

NEVER AGAIN.

www.facebook.com/randal.lea

kailasa108
3/23/2010 2:45 PM

Well, unfortunately I agree with the majority of other folks here...your  "FREE PASTRY DAY" is neither 'free' NOR is it a 'day' but just a few hours - and that leaves a worse taste in my mouth than 'burnt' coffee!!!

I found out about this at 11:30...AFTER I had bought my SECOND 'handcrafted' drink of the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So, of course, I couldn't get the pastry.  That SUCKS!!!

C'mon Starbucks...if you're going to show customer appreciation...then PUHLEEEZE don't do it half-assed!

sannee
3/23/2010 3:23 PM

Looks like I missed the cut off time also, was planning on this afternoon :(

existential
3/23/2010 3:30 PM

Add me as another vote for this being a bad idea due to such a limited time slot.

bookflower
3/23/2010 4:00 PM

I didn't see any notice of this until I saw a comment on another article -- can't even remember what it was.  We frequently buy drinks at Starbucks.  Would have appreciated it if it lasted all day and if we had some notice.

Next time, please advertise it and allow more time.

desert bunny
3/23/2010 4:04 PM

This was a great promotion!!  I really appreciated my free cranberry orange scone with my coffee at 7 this morning.  In fact I appreciated it so much, I went back at 10 for a second!

There was much more notice this year than last, I had emails from Starbucks twice on all 3 of my email accounts.

Thank you Starbucks for making my day.

cafe2010
3/23/2010 6:29 PM

I went to my local Starbucks this morning around 8am order my drinks and ask for my free pastry the cashier/male ask me for copy of coupon or proof of promotion I didn't know I had to present any proof for today promotion any way I did not get my free pastry which made me very upset I didn't see any promotion code with the ad I got, from now on I will get my coffee from Panera Bread instead their employees always have a smile, they make sure you don't get the wrong drink, Starbucks is getting really bad in making their drinks no flavor sometimes they give you half of the drink I think Starbucks is a very expensive coffee shop to get the service they are providing now, Starbucks if you are interested I can provide the address of my local Starbucks.

Dissapointed

amynico
3/23/2010 8:15 PM

Thumbs up on the promotion--keep 'em coming! I wasn't able to partake this time (I was late for work already), but hopefully next time I will get out the door earlier.

I can see why the promotion can't last all day--maybe offer different time slots periodically? Like an "afternoon-slump special" or "after-dinner treat" kind of promotion. Also kudos on saying customers can show the coupon on their mobile device. Very green and convenient. I'd like to see more retail companies encouraging that.

mariabav
3/23/2010 8:49 PM

Great idea!  It gave me a chance to taste an item I always think about trying.  The lemon pound cake.  It was wonderful!  Thank you.

suzannestacy
3/23/2010 10:02 PM

My husband and I don't normally go to Starbucks any more.  Choosing between a very limited number of sugar free flavors (I dislike hazelnut, so I'm pretty well stuck at vanilla or cinnamon dulce) doesn't really suit me.  So we usually hit up Dutch Brothers or Brewed Awakenings.  However, I was impressed to see that they were 'green' with this newest customer incentive so we decided to try it out with the 'buy a coffee, get a pastry'

I was able to get my fat free berry coffee cake without issue.  However, when my husband went to the location near his work he asked for the nonfat raspberry muffin and was promptly told that he could not have it.  He showed that the coupon clearly stated muffins were included and the barrista told him that he could have a blueberry muffin, but the raspberry muffins were not included in the free offer.  Now mind you, these muffins were the same cost as the others, and were located within the same pastry case as all of the other items which were free.  They were not marked in any way as being 'special' or not included in the promotion.   Hubby asked for the manager and when she came out she indicated that her district manager had told her that those muffins were limited stock not available for samples.   Hubby was not asking for a sample... he was asking for the whole muffin, as clearly outlined in the coupon.

He even called Starbucks customer service to follow up, and was told the same thing... that there are 'limited stock' items but that he could have purchased one if he really wanted it.  Let's get this straight.....   I can buy it, which will deplete your stock, or you can give it to me which will deplete your stock - same result either way but the latter doesn't lose you a sale or a customer.

Interesting thing, the customer service agent was willing to mail him two free drink coupons.  So Starbucks is willing to now spend $8.00, when they could have spent the approximately $1.85 by just doing what their promotion said they would.   Hubby didn't bother with the free drink coupons - probably wouldn't be good on the drink he wanted anyhow  ;-)

Please understand, not getting the specific flavor of muffin is not the issue here - but the principle of the matter is what really miffed him.  So Starbucks would rather lose a sale and a customer, as well as suffer from the bad word of mouth publicity that would ensue, than to provide good customer service and make good on a printed offer.

Mr. Schultz, come on down...  you should be the next contestant on "Undercover Boss".   You want to run like a startup?  then get in touch with your local levels and your customers, and stop the silly rules that cost you valuable customers.  Running us off means now you have to run more promotions to attract others that you haven't yet upset.

Suzanne in Vancouver

purple1
3/24/2010 5:30 AM

I totally agree that Suzanne's husband should have gotten his muffin since it said on the coupon muffins were included.

And I agree that the promotion should be offered either all day or for an extended time beyond the 10:30 am time posted.

People have such different work schedules and cannot not always get to SB between the hours posted on the coupon.

And another suggestion might be anyone with a gold card can get a reward of a free pastry?!!!!

Carol K
3/24/2010 5:52 AM

I had a tall, nonfat, dark cherry mocha and an apple bran muffin and my husband had a venti half-caff and banana bread.  Everything was delicious.  There was no line and we didn't see anyone else with a coupon.  It's news to me that the raspberry muffins are a limited stock item.  Our Starbucks always has them.

Steve 2
3/24/2010 6:16 AM

Shame on you Starbucks not including every partry on your promotion.  Sounds like a gimmink to me.  Also not everyone has a printer.

Hayley
3/24/2010 7:55 AM

I had a wonderful experience at my Starbucks.  The baristas just surprised and delighted everyone by just asking what people wanted as their free pastry, whether they had a coupon printed or not.  I had a tall east Africa blend that morning so I could get my passport sticker.  I asked the baristas what pastry they would recommend hoping they would know what would pair well with that particualr coffee.  They immediately said either the lemon loaf or the cranberry scone.  I chose the lemon loaf and it was very tasty and went well with the coffee.  Great promo Starbucks, it was very enjoyable!

kmary7th
3/24/2010 8:00 AM

A freind forwarded the free posting to me, so I clicked to get to the coupon.  Guess what, I read all the restrictions before I even hit print or headed out the door to my local Starbucks.  So, then went through the process of creating an account and signing in to share my thoughts on the bunch of whiners that are posting about the free pastry day.  Yes, most of you are whiners and good examples of the people that screw these things up, fill in the grey area with what you think the rules should be and ultimately cause companies to shy away from anything like this.  Get a clue.

purple1
3/24/2010 8:23 AM

kmary7th I think you missed the point re Suzanne's husband not getting his choice of muffin. If muffins are included in the free pastry offer, then why exclude a particular flavor? I don't think they are whiners nor are they messing up the promotion. The bottom line is perhaps if one type of muffin is excluded from then promotion, then perhaps all muffins be excluded? Why should this flavor be excluded?

fee720
3/24/2010 8:43 AM

I am there... I need my pastry... even thou I have to get a cup... I luv e'thing about Starbucks...

I hope everyone enjoy the snack...

Fee

starwalk
3/24/2010 10:10 AM

Need More pastry Days!!!

Just want to thank ya for  the pastry and hope you keep doing it, like every other day would be great. You would get a lot more people coming if they knew there was like, every "Tuesday is pastry day!"

mocoffeemo
3/24/2010 12:20 PM

OH! I missed it!  Should've set the reminder on my phone.  Maybe next time.

COFFEEISLIFE
3/24/2010 12:57 PM

I will say that all-in-all this free pastry day was no better but maybe worse than the last one, for the reason that it was handled the same or no better/different/improved-way than the last free pastry day.

i am glad that some, not many , stores, handled this free pastry day better best and the right way.

no coupon needed and anything in the case goes. up and until 10:30am. BIG GOLD STAR from me for those Stores that handled  free pastry day this way.

chokamoka
3/25/2010 1:41 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the free pastry, had a lo-fat cinnamon swirl coffeecake, yummy. My Starbucks is great, I didn't know I needed a coupon, article I read about it in didn't mention that, but they didn't even ask me for it so that was good. First time I have heard about it, hope you send out emails next time, great promotion.

BELOVED2010
3/25/2010 4:31 PM

I enjoy drinking a Nice warm Tazo Chai Latte while reading the Best Book ever writen (Bible).......... Peace.

Marin5
3/26/2010 9:45 PM

I loved the free pastry day coupon. Not only was i able to get my bluberry oak bar for free but also i was able to try another pastry for free. This is an awesome idea Good Job STARBUCKS

roxxy
3/28/2010 10:10 AM

Got a free pasty. It was great offer.  Some reason, a barista didn't give me cheese danish.  Even thought a coupon mentioned "cheese danish".  She kept saying with an attitude, that offer is NOT included that item.  Maybe she cannot read it??  What a wonderful start for a day...

Carol K
3/30/2010 5:56 AM

You're right.  The coupon is posted above on this page and the last item is clearly Cheese Danish.  You should have asked to speak to the manager.  Now you should e-mail Starbucks and let them know at which location this happened.

mckra1g
4/5/2010 2:00 PM

My twitter and facebook update for March 23:

@mckra1g is not pleased: .@BNBuzz @Starbucks: epic #fail on #freepastryday. Needed a biz book anyway, left pastryless bc u don't honor promos @ B&N. Marketing equivalent: dropping the pop fly between 2nd & 3rd base. Not cool.

March 23 at 10:27am  · Comment · Like

FRIEND COMMENT likes this.

FRIEND COMMENT: Ruh-ro! Momma ain't happy!

March 23 at 10:55am ·

@mckra1g yer darn tootin. What the flip?

March 23 at 10:56am ·

FRIEND COMMENT: I bet there was that famous micro-print line "Offer good only at participating Starbucks® locations."

March 23 at 11:00am ·

BTW, despite your usually social media prowess, my comment was not addressed via either medium. Truly surprised.

Thanks for the forum.

Best,

M.

mmjaw
4/5/2010 5:43 PM

Interesting reading all of the comments.  It is obvious and remarkable that most people do not take the time to read the restrictions on coupons and offerings, and then get mad at the retailer when things don't go their way!  HOWEVER--Susan's husband should TOTALLY have gotten his muffin!  There's no excuse for that at all.  It states Supplies Are Limited, but nothing about "some limited supply items are excluded."  Muffins are on the list (as are Cheese Danishes).  If the item falls in the list of things offered, the customer gets it.  No excuses.  Shame on the manager for that one.

I did get to enjoy my free pastry on my way to the airport as we left on vacation, and it was a great start to the morning--as a matter of fact, I was planning on stopping at Coffee People @ the airport, but decided to go for the free pastry instead.

Sounded to me as thought the partners in my store were not requiring the coupons, which is great; I understood one was needed, but I agree, not everyone has a printer or access on their mobile device.  If they know about the promotion, it's just good customer service if they get the deal.

Overall--kudos!

Help911
7/22/2010 2:50 PM

Hello All-

I need to share some information with everyone.  Starbucks has been found in violation of Discrimination under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission EEOC.  This company willing and knowing discriminated against a African Americans.  Please share this information with all of your friends, so we can start to boycott this company and share this information with the media and newspapers.  Contact the EEOC to confirm this information at 410..2092754.  Lets Stop the DISCRIMINATION!!!!!!!

MzPrince
3/12/2014 4:51 AM

How do we make suggestions to Starbucks on this site?

MzPrince
3/12/2014 4:51 AM

How do we make suggestions to Starbucks on this site?

redcupday
11/9/2015 9:24 PM

With all the commotion concerning use of the "red cup" Starbucks should have National Red Cup on December 4, 2015.  Maybe a free short coffee. I prefer hot chocolate.

A day we all raise our red cups in celebration of the holiday.

redcupday
11/9/2015 9:33 PM

Due to all the commotion concerning the use of red cups this holiday season I have an idea.  Friday, December 4, 2015 should be National Red Cup day.  Starbucks could give away a short cup of coffee (I prefer hot chocolate). We could all raise our red cups in honor of the holidays.

NVCosta
1/2/2016 4:30 PM

After visiting 4 Starbucks today, I found that while the Gingerbread loaf is still on the menu, there is none to be found because it is "out of season".  I know Gingerbread tends to be seasonal, but the flavor is too awesome to be seasonal.  Ever thought about make it either a "regular" or "special order" available through local Starbucks?  At best, please add the from -- to dates to the seasonal items so I know when to "load my freezer" for the highly desired items.  Our beaches Starbucks say they have had some unhappy customers today due to lack of gingerbread -- drink and loaf.

Great food and drink Starbucks -- just stop limiting the GREAT items OR expand the availability periods.  Thanks!