Starbucks Card Mobile Payment Now Available at all Target® Starbucks Stores

Hi Everyone!  We are very pleased to report to you that our Starbucks Card Mobile payment trial in Seattle and Cupertino has been successful…..and we hear you loud and clear – you want more Starbucks locations where you can use your mobile device to pay.

We are pleased to announce that now you can use your Starbucks Card Mobile app to pay for your purchases at all Target® Starbucks store’s in the U.S!

I stopped into Target this morning on my way to work to get some treats for my dog, a boxer named Nelson. After paying for his bones, I went over to the Starbucks on my way out to get a doppio – and paid with my iPhone app – just like I do at my Madison Park Starbucks here in Seattle.  It’s fast, easy and fun!

If you have not already done so….please upgrade to the latest version (1.2.1) of Starbucks Card Mobile at the Apple App store– you will need this version to take advantage of the increased mobile payment locations

Thank you for all the great input!

Inspired by your idea:

Expand use of iPhone barcode app
posted by audi4t

jamesreb
4/2/2010 3:47 PM

Sounds great but I have a Droid Eris.

clapton101
4/4/2010 6:24 PM

Seriously? In Target stores? So what's next, in all Safeway locations? Perhaps this hasn't come to the attention of the great minds at Starbucks but by far the people that would benefit most from the iPhone Mobile app don't get their morning coffee at Target. I know, I know it's only beta testing. But you could have easily reached more of your targeted (no pun intended) customers by rolling out an additional 100 REAL Starbucks locations rather than adding 1000 Target stores.

Honestly if you wanted to do it right you should have just rolled it out in all US Starbucks locations at the same time. Then pull the equipment from the locations that didn't use it enough and send it to the UK 3 months later and roll out the whole UK at the same time (Or the other way around for all I care.) And keep doing that with other regions until the roll out is complete worldwide. Don't pretend like money is an issue.

leilanny_aak
4/7/2010 9:48 PM

As soon as i heard about the app for i Phone i downloaded it, I love it.  This morning for example I went through the drive-thru and after placing my order I remembered I didn't have enough funds, so by the time I got to the window I had reloaded the card.   I do have to agree with clapton101 though, I couldn't believe I had to go all the way (35 min) to the only  Target with a Starbucks on the other side of town to use this feature, when I have a Starbucks walking distance from my house.

This afternoon I drove all the way to that Target, couldn't wait to use the feature and when I got there it wouldn't work.  I held up the line, said no, try again and again, finally I paid with my card.  I'm not sure what happened, but she kept saying there was a screen before the payment screen and she could scan the phone there, but she couldn't scan it on the payment screen, not sure if it was Target's problem or a problem with the app.

leilanny_aak
4/7/2010 10:04 PM

I also wanted to add that we (consumers) should have been notified that we needed a particular version or have the app state we have an upgrade available.  Currently when I go to that app it says Touch to pay, so it seems like it should work.  If I go to the app store from my phone it says I already have the app installed and it doesn't state I have an upgrade, but when I go to the about section of the Starbucks Card Mobile it says I have version 1.2, so I will try to get it connected to my itunes and try to get the 1.2.1 version that way.   Hope that works.

Cmapa
4/10/2010 10:32 PM

I agree.. the Mobile Card App. should be aloud at every location. I live on Oahu, Hawaii, and there are only 2 Target locations, here..and I travel for work, and only once in a while do I go to the Target location in Kapolei, Oahu, Hawaii.. and its not open at 6am, so I just go to Starbucks location down the road.

It would be so much better since Im always on my iPhone, and its always out. I wouldnt have to play scavenger hunt and look for my card, I can just hand my phone to the cashier. Hopefully, soon i can do that at any location, but still.. this is an AMAZING IDEA.. good job on Starbucks side 5 Stars.

Alchatto
5/16/2010 11:40 PM

Hi Chuck,

I am glad to know that you're expanding Starbucks Card Mobile payment in the US. I just hope that here, in the far, very far, Northeast, really far, Quebec City - yes, this is the place where it snows when you seating outside enjoying a cappuccino - we will have the pleasure to use your system. Since it is very difficult to count the coins with frozen hands ; we hope it will work with iPad too.

By the way, the iphone apps look very small and lost on the ipad screen :-)

Have a nice day,

baxter007
5/31/2010 4:01 PM

Really!?  Get this to ALL Starbucks soon!  Real SB devotees don't buy espresso drinks in Target!  Not even close.  Also, the new REWARDS function on the iPhone SB app.  What a joke.  It keeps track of stars from yesterday.  If it can calculate new card balance immediately why can't it do the same for stars?  You need to be able to redeem free drinks from this iPhone app too. C'mon!

quickinstinct
6/14/2010 9:09 AM

Please put this App on Android so I wider group of users can access it and expand it to more stores.  I know Starbucks has quite a tight relationship with Apple and AT&T but open it up a little.

screen_name5
6/27/2010 5:43 AM

I tried to use the iPhone application at Target, but the scan did not work.  I also found out Target does not use the same computer system as Starbucks so you do not get all of your benefits of being a Gold card member.  Now I have to drive way out of my way to get the benefits due to Gold card members.  Starbucks and Target need to work together so you can honor the Gold card universally; regardless of what computer system is being used at the Target store.

msitarzewski
7/19/2010 2:33 PM

I completely appreciate that Starbucks is beta testing this app at stores I don't typically shop at. If it works at all Target stores, flawlessly, that means that the rollout to the other 60,000 locations (lol) will be a much smoother process.

That said? I'm ready to further narrow the cards I carry. Once pay-by-app goes nation wide, I'll have exactly two things in my back pocket. My driver's license and my debit card. Perfect.

leroyboy47
8/12/2010 9:19 PM

Sweet! How about BlackBerry Apps?

kbaumga1
8/13/2010 10:42 PM

How about an Android app for my Motorola Droid?

Maple1
8/27/2010 9:29 AM

I can't wait until all starbucks use this system.

ScooterDave
4/18/2012 8:35 AM

First of all I'm glad to see that Target has gotten to use the mobile app payment. However, this process is not Launching fast enough. I think that ALL STARBUCKS STORES SHOULD HAVE IMPLINENTED THIS PROCESS   A L L. AT THE SAME TIME. Yours Customers are what is driving this. So make the customers happy and have this process finished within a said date.  And PLEASE BE REASONABLE WITH THE DATE. THE SOONER THE BETTER.   As you knw there are a great percentage of the population that are using mobile APPS. Thank you for your time.