A customer favorite is back—Reusable Cold Cups are here!!!

Hi, it’s Sarah, from the Merchandise team.  I’m going to keep this short and sweet.  Our classic reusable cold cups are back in stores for the summer!

You really can’t go wrong with a cold cup.  Why?

a) Our reusable cold cups are made of BPA-free plastic and are dishwasher safe

b) They are available in both 16 fl. oz ($12.95 US / $14.95 CAN) and 20 fl. oz. ($14.95 US / $16.95 CAN) sizes, in your neighborhood store & online

c)  The cups come with permanent fill lines to guide baristas on the perfect drink proportions, so your beverage will be made just right.  For the 20 fl. oz cup, you can still order a Venti, just with a little less ice… because… see reason d)

d) Their double-wall design will keep your hands dry and your beverage chilled

e)  Reusable cold cups will give you magical powers; make bald men grow hair, make pigs fly, and make cellulite disappear. *

* Non-legal disclaimer by author: Reason e) is completely false.  It is merely the author’s desperate attempt to garner a few cheap laughs.  Reusable cold cups will do none of these things.  They ARE pretty awesome though, and it might be in your best interest to purchase one as soon as humanly possible, because these babies fly off the shelves; no magic required.

P.S. Replacement straws will be available exclusively online in the coming months!  We’ll post on MSI once they go live on starbucksstore.com.

Inspired by your idea:

Bring back reusable iced venti cups with straw hole
posted by jennjava

christamcd
5/7/2010 5:34 PM

Please please please make a tall version. I would love to get one but drink talls the majority of the time!

Betterbefore
5/7/2010 5:54 PM

to christamcd:  you could order a tall in the grande cup..... if you really want one of these cups.

christamcd
5/7/2010 7:57 PM

I guess thats true...

flukes
5/7/2010 10:30 PM

I'm glad to hear you'll finally be offering replacement straws....can't wait!!

lululouise
5/8/2010 7:53 AM

I have two of the cold venti cups and would definitely purchase replacement straws.  Thanks for listening to your customers!

COFFEEISLIFE
5/8/2010 10:27 AM

People love these very well made cups

Jemom
5/9/2010 6:08 AM

Are they really dishwasher safe? My husband is concerned that the lid is not. We have had trouble w/ the seal coming out in the starbucks hot travel cups.

mytank
5/10/2010 9:35 AM

I'm so disappointed... I knew these things would be coming out soon, so I have been stalking my local starbucks in Southern California... and sure enough the week I go on vacation they come out in the store and are GONE. The barista said they lasted maybe 2 days at the store... Me and several co-workers are dying to get these... please put more for sale... I just don't get why starbucks isn't stocking these more often. They certaily should be something available all summer long, if not all year long.

TheKwan
5/10/2010 3:13 PM

@mytank - As Sarah said, they are also listed online.  www.starbucksstore.com/.../shprodli.asp

As of yesterday, the 20 oz. were out of stock, but they had the 16 oz. available.  Unfortunately they’re both out of stock now.

On Saturday, I was able to find one at an Albertson’s Starbucks.  They just received theirs the day before and basically sold out overnight.  My suggestion is to keep checking around.  I hope you find one.

sbx_sspe
5/10/2010 3:39 PM

Hi Jemom, yes, the cold cups are really dishwasher safe!  I’d recommend washing it on the top shelf of the dishwasher, for best care practices.

Mytank, some stores sell out of their first round of inventory very quickly, but when they do, they’ll receive one or more additional shipments.  Your local store should know a day or two in advance if they have a cold cup order coming.  It doesn’t hurt to ask.  :)

We’re also ‘testing’ the idea of selling cold cups year-round in warmer markets—Hawaii, for example, recently started stocking the cups year-round.  If all goes well, we could see this live beyond the summer months in other places as well!

Jocelynj16
5/12/2010 1:14 PM

I love that as an owner of one of these cups (the 20 ouncer), I can be green and have the baristas make my drink in it rather than wasting garbage.  However, when I order a Venti, I am getting a bit "ripped off" because they really don't put much less ice in, and I am only getting 20 ounces rather than the 24 ounces I am paying for.  I just don't think the Baristas realize it?

5/17/2010 2:18 PM

@ Jocelynj16 - the fill lines are accurate for the baristas to build the drink.  You should be getting all the ingredients, just less ice.  Talk to the store manager if this is not the case.

NFNWwhitemocha
5/19/2010 6:51 AM

I bought my reusable (which I love) so I wouldn't have to use plastic cups all the time. However, every time I order, the baristas still use a plastic cup to write down my order (they never have the pre-printed sticky notes) and then pour the drink from the plastic cup into my re-usable. When I told them that pretty much defeats the purpose of me buying the reusable cup, they told me that the reusable cups don't have the proper measuring green lines on them. Are they misinformed or just lazy? I really hate the waste. I've even asked for the plastic cup to recycle it, but they forget and toss it anyway. Suggestions?

1234598
5/21/2010 11:29 AM

The new frappochinos when made need the disposable cup to measure the ingredients.  Then the cup gets discarded to put the drink in the customer's reusable tumble (this is as per Starbucks instructions).  Maybe a plastic reusable cup like the ones used for the teas could be made and send to the stores to eliminate the waste and damage to the environment.  I feel guilty everytime I have to put these cups in the recycle, as I work for a company that prides itself on being environmental leaders.

Also maybe the items sent by courier could be sent together.  So often a box arrives with a bag of air and 2 cds in it.  Kind of environmentally damaging and a waste of the companies resources.  I guess on the positive side we are keep the courier companies in business.

5/24/2010 4:05 PM

@NFNWwhitemocha - The team is working on a reusable measuring cup for the Frappuccino.

Maj617
5/26/2010 7:42 PM

What about the cups being sold in Phoenix, AZ year round? I've been stocking up on cold cups because I use them 3 times a day for different things, and I do live for ice and cold drinks!

java queen
5/27/2010 6:53 AM

While the reusable plastic cups are BPA free, is the same true for the reusable straws????

nyterayn
5/28/2010 9:04 AM

I spent $14 on a reusable cold beverage cup because I thought it was environmentally responsible and would cut down on the waste from my almost-daily frap habit. But today I noticed that they were making my drink in a disposable plastic cup and then simply pouring it into my reusable one - which means just as much waste!

When I asked the barista about it (she was also a shift supervisor), she said that they have to do it that way in order to measure the drink properly. However, I read online that there are lines on the reusable cup for just that reason.

Also, when I initially handed her my reusable cup, she seemed surprised, confused and asked "So you want your drink in this?" as though it were a strange thing.

I'm really frustrated with the apparently lack of training at this location... and the fact that they treated me like I was insane for trying to use my plastic cup - they have a huge stack of them in the middle of the store, I can't be the only person trying to use them!

baxter007
5/31/2010 3:50 PM

Hey sbx_sspe, I was told last year that some new 20 oz stainless steel insulated tumblers would be coming out in March or April.  Where are they?  Plenty of 16 oz.  It's realy frustrating that so many people want these and you can't provide them.  What gives?

alabz
6/6/2010 8:23 PM

Starbucks, help me make my 3 year old even more adorable; when mom gets her drink, inevitably she wants either a hot caramel apple spice with whip or the same, but iced.  The Grande  reusable cold cup is just too big for her to carry around.  I refuse to use the paper cups, so typically she ends up with an iced drink in her kids animals "twisty" mug, and tells me she wishes she had a straw too.  Plus, the double walls don't perspire, and you know a 3 year old puts a cup wherever she feels like it!!

I hope it's easy to configure, and I know how happy you'd make that kiddo that gets her special treat usually 3 times a week!

Please, Consider making the reusable cold cup in TALL size

Thanks for everything!!

andi and violet

VernieMac995
6/9/2010 2:06 PM

I am so thrilled that Starbucks is starting to be environmentally friendly but i only order tall and so i was wondering when they will start to sell TALL reusable starbucks cups

unklbeeg
7/2/2010 5:47 AM

It would be nice if the cold cups were available more of the year.  I'm not talking about year round, I'm talking about having them for all summer.  Heck, I'd think it was great if they were available for a whole week at a time!  As it stands, they're in the stores for possibly a day per year.  Considering the demand for these things, why does Starbucks not manufacture enough of them and ship enough of them so that stores can actually stock them?

If you aren't in the store the day they arrive, you don't get one.  It's as simple as that.  Or you can pay big bucks on the secondary market.  eBay anyone?

Sportsmom1
7/2/2010 8:20 PM

I loved my Venti cold cup, but it was dropped and is now broken.  Please consider making them available on line for those of us who live in warmer states.  Here in California, the cups were only in the stores an hour or two before they were sold out.  now it's impossible to get them.

Leiostyla
7/22/2010 4:36 AM

This was posted in May, when will the cups hit the stores?

SoxFan15
7/22/2010 6:49 PM

If you are selling the cups year round in the hotter climates, why are they unavailable on-line?? I would love to purchase more but I cannot find them. Please, if you cannot keep up with stocking the stores, at least sell them on-line. I would think with the high demand that you would at least take back orders for these. It makes business sense.

meslinger
8/25/2010 6:43 AM

Please make these more available, I have been sent to 3 stores to find the tumblers.  Online they are selling for $50 from independent parties.  Starbucks should make them more available, you guys are missing a serious money making opportunity!  It was 112 here in Phoenix yesterday!

Cinnamon Pat
8/25/2010 2:15 PM

I have several of these cups and love them!  I even use the lines for a consistant iced coffee at home.  Coffee to the first line, milk to the second, and fill with ice, PERFECT every time.  I would like to see them in different colors though.  That way my family and friends would be more able to tell which cup is theirs.

MissTea
1/21/2011 4:50 PM

As I understand it, a tall cold reusable cup was released during the first summer promotion of 2009. They're likely available from independent sellers on eBay and, depending on demand, may be available in stores with large cold drink demand, those near or below the equator.

Takesomesomma
3/3/2011 9:25 AM

The reason they prolly make the drink in a plastic cup first is that star bucks changed their cold drink cups to have 3 lines for measuring instead of the 2 on the tumbler.

apodicticannie
3/7/2011 3:08 PM

Does anyone know how many ounces each fill line represents? I am trying to calculate calories in my drink, and it's difficult to do without measurements.

susielim
5/1/2011 5:43 PM

Hi Sarah - do you know if and when Starbucks may make these cold cups available for this summer 2011??

susielim
5/1/2011 5:44 PM

sharpi
9/1/2011 8:48 AM

Hi Sarah,

Last summer I purchased the 16 oz cold cup and then when the 24 oz was introduced I purchased it.  I was very disappointed when my 24 oz did not come through the dishwasher unscathed.  The cup itself is OK, but the inner threads warped so that the lid will not go on at all.  I was reading that they are dishwasher safe, but after my experience do not suggest washing in the dishwasher.  Does Starbucks offer any type of warranty/guarantee against defects such as this?  I realize that your post was from last summer, so I hope that you will see this comment and can help me out with this.  I LOVED my cup and used it all the time.  I actually visited Starbucks 4-5 times a week for a Venti Black Iced Tea (no sugar, no water!) when I kept it in my car with me because it keeps the drink colder much longer than the disposable cups in the store and it doesn't leave a puddle in my cup holder from condensation.  Now, I only stop in occasionally. (2-3 times a month)

Gabstar
9/9/2011 11:30 AM

Waiting patiently for reduced fat Cream Cheese, why don't Starbuck carry them.

BDBD
9/12/2011 5:40 PM

Does the cold cup have a waranty?  My daughters cup is starting to crack.

kkrane
10/24/2011 7:01 PM

I know the cups are bpa free, but are the straws as well?

Thanks.

DHKidd
5/3/2012 3:07 PM

Are the Starbucks Cold Cups recyclable?  Unfortunately mine fell off the counter and broke.  I would like to throw it in our recycle bin (Austin has single stream recycling) but I cannot find a plastic number on it, so I am not sure.  Any advice?

KeelyK
5/31/2012 5:58 PM

I LOVE my 20oz cold cup but the seal in the lid is missing. I have several co-workers with the same cup and theirs all came with seals in the lid. Mine leaks if tipped. Is there a way to get a replacement seal?

Sgrm
8/18/2012 10:01 AM

Hi, I have a cold cup and every so often the lid gets put on too tight and then I can't get it off because the plastic seal holds REALLY well.  That's great to keep it water tight, but now I am struggling to get it off.  Any suggestions?  We can't use our jar opener because of the straw. Hot water isn't working. Thanks for any input.

janelle325
12/17/2012 11:21 PM

Does anyone else have condensation on the outside of their cold cup? Everyone keeps stating they love how there is no mess and they have dry hands. Mine still has a pretty significant amount of condensation.

Sarah, you state as a fact the double wall design will keep your hands dry. Then my cup must be defective. I even called customer service and he said the description of the cup doesn't state it will not keep condensation from forming. Hmm I'm confused.

cryptographite
3/9/2013 9:50 AM

Have these been discontinued again?  They're out of cups in the stores, and even the website says "unavailable".

Is it just a supply issue?

Also... TRENTA PLEASE.  I really, really need a reusable trenta-sized cold cup.

creativepoetry
3/9/2013 2:05 PM

I can't find these cups in the stores, and really love them. Where can I purchase a couple of them so that I always have a clean one available?

creativepoetry
3/9/2013 2:05 PM

creativepoetry
3/9/2013 2:05 PM

creativepoetry
3/9/2013 2:05 PM

creativepoetry
3/9/2013 2:06 PM

Chronofied
7/1/2013 1:34 PM

I have a cold cup, and I love it.  I'd love to see a sealing lid offered for the cold cup; something that would make it easy to swing by Starbucks on a motorcycle, toss it in my pack, and enjoy it at a destination.

walksalot
8/17/2013 6:32 PM

I live in NYC where I lug my reusable cup everywhere. I prefer carrying the plastic cold cup since it is lighter than the hot drink porcelain mugs. Can I use the plastic cold cup for the hot drinks this coming winter?

The plastic cups are light and I can carry them around in my bag.

thanks!

walksalot
8/17/2013 6:32 PM

The plastic cups are light and I can carry them around in my bag.

thanks!

walksalot
10/14/2013 6:36 PM

I agree with walkalot. I live in a city where we walk, use the subway, or cab it everywhere. The plastic cups are light. I don't want to use the heavier ceramic cups for hot beverages. Can I use these cold cups for hot bevs as well! They're a lot lighter. Thanks!

walksalot