Reusable Cup Sleeve: like a fall sweater for your favorite warm beverage!

For me, fall is the season that makes me feel most alive—a whoosh of crisp air in my lungs; the cozy warmth of thick, wool socks against my favorite boots; and the vivid oranges, yellows and browns that Mother Nature brings every year.  In an ode to the earth (and MSI feedback!), we’re bringing a reusable cup sleeve to our customers this season in the U.S. and Canada.  Made of soft, washable felt, the sleeve fits tall, grande and venti size cups and tumblers.  It even has a pocket for stashing cash, your Starbucks Card or a packet of VIA® Ready Brew.  Pick up one today ($3.95 US, $4.45 CAN) to use with your favorite warm beverage!

sarahknits
9/7/2010 6:21 PM

These have been a popular project in the knitting groups for years.  They have sold well at the craft fairs, too.

Bradley Harden
9/7/2010 6:22 PM

I love this!

STRBXinCT
9/7/2010 7:24 PM

How about giving one to Gold Card holders of 3+ years?

Mitski
9/7/2010 9:30 PM

I second STRBXinCT idea. Even though the gold card is nice it is still a serious downgrade from the black card and it's 10% discount on everything. For us long time customers (supporters!) we could use some serious love to show we are appreciated.

Okhyun_H
9/7/2010 11:57 PM

It's so nice and I hope I also can buy this in other countries (especially South Korea). I want to get it!

Betterbefore
9/8/2010 5:46 AM

I saw these in the stores when they came out.  I realize these were a big (?) request from customers but to me, it just seems to not make sense.  If someone is so concerned about being 'green', then 1) why aren't they using their own tumbler

2) why don't they just hang on to the little cardboard sleeve and recycle it at home.  It's not that big.

But, I realize you did just make alot of people happy;)

Superlativity
9/8/2010 10:42 AM

Betterbefore:

1) I do bring my own tumbler whenever I plan a trip to Starbucks, but if I just decide to stop on the fly, then I have to get a to-go cup.

2) When I do end up getting a to-go cup, I recycle the cardboard sleeve. I tried re-using it but after a couple of times it gets lost or ripped or something of that nature so I just recycle it when I'm done.

I like the idea of a re-usable sleeve and when I saw them in the store yesterday I actually didn't realize that they had a pocket on them, that's a great idea!

akuna
9/9/2010 6:39 AM

I have been working on this very idea, so of course I

think it is great.  I have a good idea for a special felt,

that has great recyclable value.  I would like to talk to

someone about this.

Suite2100
9/9/2010 10:11 AM

I keep a standard one that you give away in my car and just reuse it over time until it gets a bit tattered/loose and then replace it. I bet I cut my use of the paper ones from 15-20 per month down to 2 or 3. Saves you guys money I suppose as well. But the one you are selling looks nice and for folks looking for a bit of flair or a softer feel on their cup - I could see having one. I will stick to my reuse!

Danno63
9/10/2010 5:06 AM

I've still got the original reusable Starbucks sleeve from years ago.

COFFEEISLIFE
9/10/2010 4:30 PM

What a surprise , people like it

cwiwchar
9/14/2010 1:15 PM

Pretty smart

TheKwan
9/15/2010 12:32 AM

Happy to finally get my hands on one yesterday, after trying at four locations.  When I bought it, the barista hadn’t even seen them, so I pointed out where they were on display.

Even on Friday, when I asked about it at my usual store, they hadn’t heard about it and one barista asked if I could show her on my phone, so I showed her the above post.

The pocket is more sized for the mini Starbucks cards. I am surprised it’s not offered in green.  I like to use these for hot and cold drinks.

In addition to heat protection, it’s great for identifying your drink when it’s on a table among others (no “Is this yours or mine?”), at least until everyone has one of these.

Sheltie
9/15/2010 5:05 AM

I like that.  They SHOULD give one free to each gold member.  God knows we practically live there!  I actually recycle the current ones.  I keep a stash of 4 in my car and when I'm done with my drink, I put it back in my glove box and re-use.  I keep 4 so in case I have passengers.  So unless I get this new felt one free from Starbucks, I'll continue with my method.  I've re-used them hundreds of times for both iced and hot and they hold up very well.

latedajewels
9/16/2010 1:21 PM

THese aren't at my Starbucks store... Are they only going to a limited selection of stores? I really want one!

I frequent the North Raleigh Store of Falls of Neuse Rd., Raleigh NC.

MissLux
9/18/2010 8:55 PM

Nor are they at my store, latedajewels. I only knew about them because I saw them at a different store. Though, I'm not sure if they would be a big hit at my store anyways.

julgirlie
9/21/2010 6:14 PM

I love my reusable sleeve.  I kept my "Treat Receipt" in there every day.

However, I must admit, I've almost thrown it out on a few occassions.

Superlativity
9/28/2010 2:18 PM

latedajewels, I frequent the one on Capital Blvd in Raleigh, and they had them two weeks ago. I haven't been back since, but I'll be back on Sunday and I'll post here again if you want and let you know whether they still have them.

Superlativity
10/3/2010 6:04 AM

Latedajewels, I was there on Capital Blvd this morning, they still have 4 or 5 left on the rack.

PrestonSlez
10/6/2010 11:03 PM

I have bought 4 of these for myself and gifts (so far...) ! I LOVE THEM!!!! More locations need to carry them - I just bought 2 more yesterday to give to my local 'Bucks gals for all of their excellent service every morning.

- Preston Slezinsky

Crochet Momma
10/14/2010 8:33 AM

I really don't like these at all.  I think they are bland,  grey and ugly.  I love the idea and I even crochet these in a wide variety of colors in 100% cotton.

memphoman
10/14/2010 1:01 PM

Wouldn't the sustainable paper one you already get, if saved, be reusable? Not sure I would call this a (good) idea in action.

JC_nyc
10/14/2010 1:10 PM

Please make other colors (i.e. Starbucks "GREEN" felt, 'hot pink' for the ladies. Purple, Red & Blue for the Holiday Season, Snowman or Snowflakes for the cold season (i.e. baby blue and silver snowflakes). Also, I agree with the GOLD card members, make a reusable wrap for them too, maybe "METALLIC GOLD" for the gold members at a Club Discount Price of Course!!!

suew
10/14/2010 1:18 PM

I saw these for the first time in my local Starbucks today and let out a silent cheer!

I have a knitted on that I keep in my purse and use it for hot and cold drinks. I also recently knitted up a bunch as a fundraiser: http://bit.ly/dCA98R

Would love to see Starbucks offer knitted versions, perhaps produced by a Fair Trade coop?

And I agree that more color and pattern options would be good -- I'm not a grey person ... but I love that you have started selling them!

NorCalMike
10/14/2010 1:18 PM

I love my 'coffee cup cozy'.  Although I don't always have the ability to bring a reusable tumbler with me, I do keep my reusable sleeve with me, and use it as often as I can.  I appreciate the grey fabric, too... I feel it's a reflection of my own personal tastes.

Well come, Starbucks... and big kudos to whoever came up with the idea in the first place!!!

bonkers1
10/14/2010 3:41 PM

Love it! I re-use my cardboard ones, but they don't last long. Other coffee shops have this - good thing I didn't buy one of theirs!

labsrlove
10/14/2010 5:46 PM

I really love this idea. For me, I have noticed that my Starbucks has run out of the cardboard sleeves for my cup of coffee several times. So they use two cups and double cup the coffee.  That is such a waste.  So, I like the idea of having a reusable sleeve.  It will save them from having to use two paper cups for my grande latte next time I am in there and they have run out of the disposable ones.  Only suggestion is that I would like to see them in more then one color and maybe sell them a little bit cheaper only because I don't won't to be to upset that I accidently threw away my $4.00 coffee sleeve.  As I know I will eventually do!

kprince
10/14/2010 7:33 PM

You should figure out a way to be able to put my favorite drink on this sleeve, to save time when ordering.

Phoebe10
10/14/2010 7:47 PM

I've had a reusable sleeve for years. I got it at a Starbucks in Oregon. This was WAY back when double cups where the norm to keep from burning hands.

I do not like putting lattes and the like in my tumbler as I tend to forget to clean it. I get these in a regular to-go cup and use my own sleeve.

Sugar
10/15/2010 6:11 AM

It's a great idea & helps save the trees.  I'll definitely buy one when available.

TrentaBold
10/17/2010 7:08 AM

This is a great idea.  I'd like to see limited edition artwork on them.

4RgreenerNest
10/19/2010 7:09 PM

....good start. My partners and I have a patent-pending reuseable sleeve cover that will ROCK your recycled world! It has it ALL....testing on focus groups soon...stay tuned!!!

Charlene56
10/27/2010 5:36 PM

Love this idea.  Bought one for my daughter a devoted Starbucks girl along with the card.

Will Starbucks have the cards for key rings again this year?

teecoffeetalk
11/5/2010 3:35 PM

Great idea not only for hot cups, but cold cups too!  I have Raynaud's Syndrome, which causes a hyper reaction to fingers (sort of like mini-frostbite) when touching cold objects, and this little sleeve works just great to protect me. I also use it in restaurants for the ice water glasses...fits just about every size. Big thanks!!!

Decaf13
11/21/2010 3:42 PM

Love the idea.  I was going to purchase a few today to give as gifts.  I was going to make my purchase with my gift card.  While waiting to place my drink order, I fiddled around with them and tried to put my Starbucks gift card in the pocket.  Buyer Beware! The standard size gift card doesn't fit in the pocket.   The pocket has no forgiveness in it so there wasn't any way of putting a standard Starbucks gift card in there at all.  I went back to the display to try others.  None of the resuable sleeves will hold a standard gift card.  Okay, so maybe the half-size gift cards would fit, but most people have the standard size.

Please enlarge the pocket to fit standard gift cards.  Also, different colors (thinking hot pink) and patterns (for seasons) would be great too.

Zappoman
4/5/2013 10:25 PM

I have a reusable sleeve, and I always feel good about not wasting a cardboard sleeve, except that in many cases the cashier writes my name or drink order on a cardboard sleeve instead of the cup, so the sleeve has to be thrown away. This is counterproductive! Please change your policy and educate employees to write only on the cup so that a reusable sleeve can be used.

FoCoTeri
4/7/2013 12:36 PM

Lovely idea, but honestly unnecessary.  I've reused the same cardboard sleeve (with instructions for "my drink" written on the side) for nearly a year now.  Do we need yet another merchandising item?  I think not.  Let's invest our energy & imagination elsewhere, shall we?

FoCoTeri
4/7/2013 12:37 PM

Use that cardboard sleeve on your own reusable mug ... Mine has lasted nearly a year.

love4strbks
3/9/2014 8:16 AM

This is one of the BEST sleeves, along with the red felt valentine ever!!! However, I have misplaced or lost both of them in the past few months. Starbucks needs to sell the felt sleeves again.

love4strbks