New Idea Category

Hi everyone! My name is Cindy and I’m a new moderator to My Starbucks Idea. I’m on the Retail Technology and Innovation team.  We're focusing on finding ways to enhance the Starbucks Experience with technology. I’m excited to let you know that the category “New Technology” has been added to help us gather your ideas and feedback.

You’ve already seen some great enhancements for the iPhone and BlackBerry with the myStarbucks and Starbucks Card Mobile apps. And you can expect more as we focus on continuous growth and expansion in the mobile world. Last year we looked at digital signage as a cool new way to post our menus and promotions in our stores. Now digital menus are live in selected stores in San Diego and Washington State. There are many new trends and technologies out there and I want to make sure that we find the right ideas for you and Starbucks.

We’re looking forward to taking Starbucks to a new level on the technology front, and hope that you are too. Check out the "New Technology" category under Product Ideas and let us know what’s on your mind! We’re listening…Thanks!

Cindy

Melody
10/23/2010 12:23 AM

Cindy thanks for the blog post. How are customers reacting to digital menu boards?

This blog post would have been great with a few pictures. A picture is worth a thousand words. I have my photo here of Starbucks Experiments with Digital Menu Boards:

www.starbucksmelody.com/.../starbucks-experiments-with-digital-menus

I also really wonder how this compares in terms of being "green" to paper. While you don't have to print a menu, you do use a lot of electricity.  I honestly don't know which kind of menu board is more 'green' - Thanks again for the blog post.

matttty3
10/23/2010 5:44 PM

Hi Cindy,

This might be another form of technology but this cool spin label on this new product soyu natural teas would be cool to use in starbucks pushing starbucks environmental or other initiatives and promo codes etc

www.soyubev.com

COFFEEISLIFE
10/23/2010 8:03 PM

digital menu boards and signage - great idea -

mauriceraj
10/24/2010 1:02 AM

Hi Cindy:

I have posted an idea under Other Experiences:"How Starbucks reduces portfolio risk in Asia" which could easily come under New Technology too because such a technology could be fitted in every store making people not such consumers of Starbucks but investors as well.

Maurice

mauriceraj
10/24/2010 2:36 AM

"not such" should read "not just".... have not had my cuppa yet, sorry

m26blue
10/25/2010 1:29 PM

I think that this is a great idea, but feel like you need to start with the basics before you jump into the advanced world of technology.  What do I mean?  One thing that's bugged me about Starbucks for pretty much ever......is that you have no outlets for your laptops in your stores.  I currently live in Port Hueneme, CA, and I go to the Starbucks on Channel Islands Road all the time, but can never use my laptop because it has 'one' outlet that is accessible for customer use and is ALWAYS, ALWAYS used by the time I get there because there is only 'one'!

-Matt

10/25/2010 1:33 PM

@m26blue - thanks for your comment.  This is an issue the store design team is aware of.  More electrical outlets are considered during store remodels.

sbx_cindy
10/25/2010 3:09 PM

The digital menu boards have been well received by most customers and partners.  We are also exploring LED LCD technologies which uses less power than standard LCDs. LED technology is not yet available for a retail environment, but will be soon!

Thanks for the feedback!

MindSmack
10/26/2010 5:06 PM

How about working with the team at http://www.FastMall.com to help navigate users to their local Starbucks and then offer the user a discount/deal/info. Its the worlds only turn by turn navigation that doesnt require WIFI or GPS indoors (or out). Always great to be able to locate the store I want, then be taken to it! New technology.

Citibnker
10/26/2010 6:30 PM

It would be nice to have a Starbucks Card Mobile app for the Palm Pre & Pixi Webos

COFFEEISLIFE
10/26/2010 6:44 PM
COFFEEISLIFE
10/26/2010 6:45 PM
COFFEEISLIFE
10/26/2010 6:49 PM

Mcdonalds must be checking out ideas here and at MSI. McDonalds has many store now with lcd menus

COFFEEISLIFE
10/26/2010 6:53 PM

Congrats on this. Now the Starbucks Siren out by the road should also be lcd.

SofieFlensted
11/2/2010 12:17 PM

Hi Cindy,

I'm a graduate student from UH. I'm currently working on a case study on My Starbucks Idea for a PR class. Could I ask you a couple of questions about Starbucks' approach to identifying and interacting with its publics through this online community?

Sofie Flensted

sammy0626
11/5/2010 11:14 AM

Hi Cindy,

It's great to see you getting involved on MSI.  Keep up the good work!

Brian S.

cdcoffeequeen
11/13/2010 1:29 AM

Hi Cindy, I want to send my family and friends a Starbucks gift card electronically via Facebook, but the only thing I can do is 1)invite them to "join the app" and provided that they oblige, either  a)have them sign up for a Starbucks credit card so that I can load their card for them or ask them to b)save the previous Starbucks gift cards they have so I can reload their account.

This is quite a hassle. When will Starbucks go completely digital like Amazon.com and Applebees??

Thanks,

Christy D.

thomasrecapss
11/18/2010 3:03 AM

Hello everybody we are a group of French students and we have to interview some people who contribute to give their ideas to some brand such as Starbucks. so if you are nice enough to help us, we would like to send you a short questionnary. If you are interested in helping us please do not hesitate to follow the link and answer our 5min questionnary: spreadsheets.google.com/viewform

nodrizzlepleas
11/29/2010 12:45 PM

This may not be a new idea.  Maybe its out there and I've missed it but here goes. My daughter, who is 4, would love to have a new play kitchen.  Found out, she wants to make coffee.  I think she would love a Starbucks play coffee bar!  Has anyone ever thought of this?  She could make her moma mochas...love it!

TB

LAM Creations
1/19/2011 6:04 PM

Looking forward to an android app!

youngatart
2/26/2011 10:40 AM

Is there an android app yet?  If not, please tell me you are working on it and it will be released tomorrow??

frapicinigrl
3/6/2011 1:13 PM

Hi Cindy...........I love your coffees!  Has there been an idea for the

breast cancer cause.  I thought the Pink Drink would be a good

name for the cause. What do think....... frapicinigrl