It’s Your Birthday, and We'd Hate to Miss it!

On November 1, 2010 the My Starbucks Rewards team made some improvements to the way we deliver your birthday beverage benefit. It started with ideas from you, and while we haven’t reached the nirvana state we are striving for, we do feel we’ve made some great strides!

Every person who creates an account that includes their birthday and registers a Starbucks Card is eligible for the My Starbucks Rewards Welcome level benefit of a free beverage delivered as a postcard for a free drink you can enjoy near or on your birthday.

We used to create the file to mail these postcards in one big batch – one file for all of September for example, which meant if your birthday was in September, you had to have created your account with your birthday well in advance of our process. This meant new members with birthdays that occurred late in the month would get picked up with the following month’s process. Their postcards would be delivered well after their birthdays – and that was no way to celebrate a birthday!

So we took a step back, looked at the process and made some improvements.  We now mail postcards every week which allow our newest customers to be included and celebrate on time.  We went a step further and added an email to the mix to let members know that their birthday beverage will be delivered as a postcard in the mail!  While we were at it, we thought that our newest Gold level members deserved a special notification when they earned their first Free Drink!  We added a new email for 1st time Free Drink earners which explains that their Free Drink will come as a postcard in the mail and that it’s on its way!  It can take between 7-10 days to receive the Birthday and Free Drink postcards.

Now, that nirvana state I mentioned above would be for us to provide your benefits like Free Drinks, and Birthday Beverages digitally.  (Cue the Jetson’s music…) You’d earn the drink, and we’d load to your Starbucks account, and then send you an email or text to let you know your beverage benefit is available for you to use.  (SWEET, huh!)  There have been lots (LOTS) of ideas posted about snail mailing postcards, and the loss of postcards in the mail.  Let me say – I’m working on a special blog to share the reason for snail mail, as well as a sneak of what the future could look like.  Stay tuned.

We’ll continue to improve the program with small tweaks, and major adjustments that come directly from all the great feedback and ideas you provide here on MSI – keep them coming!

Happy Birthday and Congratulations to all of our 1st time Free Drink earners!

sbx_nat

Starbucks Card Reward Notification
posted by jefry

electronic delivery of rewards
posted by Fat Otter

greenwitch
11/18/2010 1:23 PM

I look forward to the day of 'ecoupons' for rewards.

DadCooks
11/18/2010 6:55 PM

My Daughter received her "Happy Birthday" email today, nice touch.

Glad to hear that some common sense has occurred with the method of mailing out birthday and the first "Sweet 15" free drink cards.

Keep working on solutions.

Thanks.

COFFEEISLIFE
11/18/2010 6:56 PM

I like these Post Cards they are wonderful ! Going to the mailbox shuffling the dreadful mail and out pops a Gold trim Starbucks Postcard.

flukes
11/19/2010 7:30 AM

I'll let you know soon how the improvements worked.  My birthday is Christmas Eve and last year I got my birthday drink coupon in February.  People like me are the reason for your improvement I hope.  I am excited to possibly get my treat in a timely manner this year, so I'll let you know if you succeeded!

c0rinne
11/19/2010 2:44 PM

The fact that you're still mailing coupons is a drag. I've been waiting for my coupon for weeks.

It's not like you hide the fact that it's a free drink coupon. Someone sees it, and they take it.

11/22/2010 10:44 AM

I just had my birthday and received my birthday drink coupon a week early.

Coderunner
11/27/2010 5:54 PM

I very much appreciate the sbx drink cards.  My thought however is that if the rewards/birthday drinks were just credited to your registered sbx card there would be savings in postage for sbx.

I must admit although I am a regular at sbx I tend to forget to use the cards as they are in my clip board or on my desk at home.

Just my 2 cents

edeb
11/27/2010 9:18 PM

How about sending them to the  cell/smart phone as a message and then have the coupon loaded up on this site for retrieval with a scannable bar code for one time usage. This saves SBX postage and paper and the customer has 2 notices on his or her b/d.

Javalady10

MarkMcCoskey
11/29/2010 5:47 PM

I never received my Birthday card this last September.

I look forward to the day that snail mail is bypassed totally. I would like to see everything done via the Gold Card, or Mobile Card App. Which brings up the need for an Android App.

flukes
12/18/2010 5:02 PM

Ok, I must say I am very satisfied this year, since I received my birthday drink coupon today, exactly 6 days before my special day.  (Last year I got it in Feb. and wasn't happy at all)  I'm glad improvements were made and you did succeed in getting my reward delivered in a timely manner...thank you!  I will be enjoying a venti white mocha on Christmas Eve with a happy smile now.  Happy holidays!

MrsMcMe
1/7/2011 4:33 PM

I just sent a suggestion for the free drink and birthday post cards.  I recieved the email about my birthday card quite some time ago -- and have earned 2 free drinks.  All of which I have not had the ability to redeem due to mail issues.  For some people this works, for some it does not.  Keep the good work and the tweaking!

MrsMcMe
1/7/2011 4:33 PM

MrsMcMe
1/7/2011 4:33 PM

1yogagirl
3/12/2011 7:32 AM

This is the first year I didn't receive a birthday coupon for a free drink on my b'day. Can you send me one?

Thanks