A Milestone of a Million

On the Starbucks Card innovations team where I work, we recently hit a major milestone – we’ve had more than 1 million mobile transactions since the national launch of Starbucks Card mobile payment on January 19.

This is exciting news for us! We created mobile payment apps because we heard from a lot of you that you don’t always have your wallet handy when you want to get a latte – but you always have your phone! I’m the same way. When I walk my dog in the evening after the gym, I don’t carry my wallet but my phone is always by my side.

Starbucks Card Mobile also lets you view your balance, check your Stars in our My Starbucks Rewards program, reload your card and find the nearest store. With mobile payment accepted at more than 6,800 company-operated Starbucks stores and over 1,000 Target locations, there are plenty of places to experience the fastest way to pay at Starbucks!

And more milestones are coming. For you Android users out there, we are busy working on an Android release for you. BlackBerry users can look forward to Torch support in the next few weeks.

pcrobbin
2/15/2011 12:55 PM

I love the app!  Coolest thing ever!

TammyCravit
2/15/2011 1:17 PM

Looking forward to the Android app, so I don't have to carry my Droid AND my iPod Touch both around.

One MAJOR gripe, though, is that I can't use the Mobile Payment app in the drive-through. If I have to carry my Starbucks gift card around anyway, it totally defeats the purpose of having the mobile app for me. Please don't make us wait for NFC hardware support to use the mobile app in the drive-through?

TheGeekJedi
2/15/2011 1:47 PM

Unfortunately I can't get it to download on my Blackberry 9650 with OS 6.  I click on the download link and it tells me I have an unsupported phone.  You should probably give the end user an option to override it if your site fails to detect the phone correctly...

Zachattac2
2/15/2011 2:27 PM

You keep saying you're working on an Android App, but I'll believe it when I see it

COFFEEISLIFE
2/15/2011 3:22 PM

This is truley a milestone - it is amazing that it was ACHIEVED so very quickly.  The person(s) who pushed it thru to begin with, i hope were properely rewarded.

Preaky08
2/16/2011 2:43 AM

is starbucks has an ISO 9000 Certificate?

bostoncoffee
2/16/2011 9:09 AM

I tried the app on the first day and it wasn't ready. However, I tried it out this week and the process was smooth and seamless. Starbucks is paving the way for mobile payments, and I'm excited I've had the chance to try out their app.

Citibnker
2/16/2011 1:09 PM

wish they had a palm pre plus app :(

SHH Potomac
2/16/2011 7:19 PM

Is there a planned release for Android version of Starbucks Card mobile payment.  There is a ton of interest and we are all anxiously awaiting the opportunity to begin using it.  Hurry up...

ApDarden
2/17/2011 10:41 AM

Less than a month & you've had 1 million mobile transactions!! Just think how many MORE you will have once you release the Android APP.....I am SO waiting.....I hate loosing out on earning my stars if I leave my card @ home but like u mentioned, I NEVER leave my phone @ home!!

2/18/2011 10:58 AM

Thanks for your comments.  An Android app is in the works.  We'll let you know here on MSI once we have more news to share.  We also hear you about using Mobile Payment in the drive thru.   We've been testing some things.  We would love to find a soulution for this too.  Keep your ideas coming.

jjustjjo
2/19/2011 10:12 AM

This is great.  now what about a way to recycle all the gift cards we've received?

Zachattac2
2/22/2011 12:31 PM

That's great that it's in the works, can we be a little bit less cryptic about an Android App? It's only the largest mobile OS in the world.

billcomm
2/22/2011 7:03 PM

i am waiting for the app to be available on any of the htc's

and rewards history to become available again

Joe Kanan
3/2/2011 10:07 AM

As I posted in the new tech ideas blog, I noticed using the iphone app, I get realtime balances of my card, but I also noticed that my rewards are not being updated on the app.  I show one balance on the web and another on the app.  Is this a bug or?

roodawgalum
3/8/2011 11:07 AM

Still waiting on the Android app...

4/7/2011 5:30 PM

When is the android app coming? All Starbucks ever says is that it is in the works. Could you maybe give us a timeframe?

4/7/2011 5:30 PM

4/7/2011 5:30 PM

4/7/2011 5:30 PM

4/7/2011 5:30 PM

4/7/2011 5:30 PM

Zackhund
4/19/2011 7:47 PM

Starbucks is pathetic when it comes to actually treating customers with Android like well customers!  It would be nice if they even pretended like they valued us!  But all we get is just a cold shoulder.  For giggles I thought I would call Starbucks customer service...and well it was laughable.  Starbucks really doesn't care about Android at all.  Probably afraid of losing the free itunes pick of the week from Apple.   Actual customers are less important than the relationship they have with Apple.  Sad.

4/22/2011 12:18 PM

I agree, I wish Starbucks would get their head out of Apple's ass and develop an app for android. If they have no intention of making one then they should have the balls to say it instead of just saying they are working on one. Maybe all android users should just take our business to another coffee shop.

Starbucks Card Mobile App Hits 1 Million Transactions » Aiglstorfer.me
7/9/2013 5:02 PM

Pingback from  Starbucks Card Mobile App Hits 1 Million Transactions » Aiglstorfer.me