The New Starbucks App for iPhone is Here

Hello again! We’ve had a busy few months and lots of mobile news to share. We recently released an application for Android phones and expanded mobile payment to Safeway locations. Well, that’s not all we’ve had up our sleeves.

We’ve been carefully reviewing your requests for new features for our iPhone applications. Now we’re pleased to introduce an update to the myStarbucks application that includes a couple of your top requests.

The updated app combines the features of both the old myStarbucks and Starbucks Card Mobile apps, but we didn’t stop there. The newly renamed Starbucks app (that’s right, we’re just calling it “Starbucks”) also introduces eGifting. That allows you to send virtual Starbucks Cards on the go to your friends through email or Facebook!

If you’d like to try the combined app download Starbucks and sign in with your Starbucks.com username and password.

Merge the Starbucks and Card Apps for iPhone
posted by PSelby

Hayley
6/29/2011 9:12 PM

I think it's great to combine the two apps.  One feature I did really like about the separate Starbucks Mobile card app, was the passcode you could input before viewing the cards.  I like that I didn't have to sign in every time but it was passcode protected.  It felt secure to me!

I haven't dived into this new app too deeply yet, so I have to ask... Is there a passcode option that can be set or do you have to log-in and log out every time to keep the cards secure?

brentjwarner
6/30/2011 10:43 AM

While the new app is nice and you combined the features, you missed a big part of the old card app, the security functionality. If I have my credit card information that is accessible via an app, I want to make sure I can use a security key to block unauthorized access to the app.  This was hugely important on the previous app, and other companies like Groupon and LivingSocial offer this.

Please add this functionality back soon.

sbx_cindy
6/30/2011 11:28 AM

Hi Hayley! Thanks for the feedback on the new app! We definitely take security seriously. We decided to not include the passcode protection feature with the new update because the majority of our mobile payment users are registered My Starbucks Rewards members.

Registering yourStarbucks Cards guarantees that your Card balances are automatically covered by our balance protection program. Also, your credit card info is not stored on your device and any credit card transactions require you to confirm your account password.

We’ve heard from many customers that they PIN protect their device – so not having another PIN makes it faster and easier to pay in our stores.  That being said, we’ll continue to listen to feedback from customers about the app  and look forward to hearing what else you think of the app!

Kawi06
6/30/2011 12:07 PM

I think its a mistake to not have the ability to pin protect your account if you don't want it dont't turn it on but i want it and should be able to have it. I had someone use my account without my ok and yes Starbucks did fix my dollar amount but it was a hassle and I've always felt like they didn't believe me. I want to be able to pin protect my acct as I've had no problems since I did that.  BRING BACK THE PIN CODE

docjustice
7/5/2011 8:42 AM

I agree with the other posts.  Please bring back the option to pin code the app.

Bozkjjj
7/5/2011 2:31 PM

Where is the app for the ipad?

sbx_cindy
7/6/2011 9:13 AM

MSI – We hear ya! We definitely appreciate the feedback about the features you want. We’ve reviewed all the feedback and are currently working to address the passcode feature. Check back on MSI for new updates.  And keep bringing in the feedback and ideas!

NHDrumline17
7/10/2011 5:02 PM

I can't seem to reload my card on the website or in the app, and so far, I've been charged 5 times by Starbucks for credit that I didn't receive. What can I do?

7/11/2011 12:36 PM

@NHDrumline17 - you should contact our Customer Care team:

Customer Care www.starbucks.com/.../contact.asp or call 1-800-235-2883 M-F 5am-6pm Pacific Time

heyjulie
7/13/2011 7:33 AM

I totally agree with the previous posters - the lack of a passcode was a huge disappointment. I'll continue to use the old app to pay/track my card usage until I can passcode the new app.

heyjulie
7/13/2011 7:35 AM

also - in the cup options, I was surprised to see that "personal cup" wasn't included!

Bozkjjj
7/16/2011 8:24 PM

My name is TKboss not Bozjjj. I repeat my question to which there has been no response. What is happening to allow comments to MSI using the ipad?

Bozkjjj
7/17/2011 3:39 PM

The last time I tried to make a comment I had to log in several times and the name came up as Bozkjjj. Glad to see this problem has apparently been fixed.

sbx_cindy
7/18/2011 10:32 AM

Hi All! The App Store now has the latest update for the Starbucks app on your iPhone and iPod Touch devices. We’ve introduced the ability to set a passcode for the app. Download the update and let us know what you think! We’re always looking for new and innovative ideas here on MSI.

Peggy in Yuma
7/25/2011 9:51 PM

I love the new app for the Iphone  and have used it several times. i think the veiw your stars is really fun. I agree with others who think the treat cards should be electronic, too bad it can't be an IPhone only app. :)

7/26/2011 1:01 PM

The Starbucks app is recognized by The Street in their top 10 list for "branded" iPhone apps.

www.thestreet.com/.../10-top-branded-iphone-apps.html

LeanneO
12/27/2011 3:17 AM

I would really like to see this same app available on the android phones, too, please!

LeanneO
12/27/2011 3:21 AM

Actually, if I can clarify my last comment....I would really like to see this same app available on the android phones in the CANADA market, too, please!

Customer
3/30/2012 4:11 PM

We’ve crossed another milestone. Thanks to all the ideas, votes and comments from the My Starbucks

gduck49
6/29/2012 7:19 PM

There is a plus sign on the My Card screen that brings up a screen that says "add card" which I assume is to the mobile application.  My gold card is registered with the app and that is great.  I try to add my wife's gold card so I can have both on the mobile app and it tells me the card is already registered. Yes, I know it is registered.  But the screen does not say "Register Card" which is not what I am trying to do.  All I want to do is add it to the mobile application like the screen implies it will do.  Any chance of doing something about this little hiccup?  Otherwise, a very nice app.

By the way, I am running this on an old third generation iPod Touch running iOS 4.2.1.  Apparently that is the last version that will run on the Gen 3 device as iTunes tells me the device software is up to date.

MikeySmiles
1/1/2014 7:54 AM

How do I "log out" of the app?

krewkutz
2/23/2014 3:15 AM

I have the same question

turbopfied
4/27/2014 5:56 PM

You guys recently updated the app. Now it wants my address to reload it with my paypal account , I tried many time it keeps asking for my zip even though I put it in there help, I can't reload my card!

turbopfied
4/27/2014 5:56 PM

JD_McCutcheon
7/14/2014 2:23 PM

New app is incredibly bad. Will sign me out of my account when I roll up to the store, and when I try to sign in again, it freezes and locks up my entire phone. Had to restart phone (and it did it again) so I deleted the app.  This has been randomly going on for months.  Huge inconvenience & poor way to treat your customers.

jtlynn23
8/11/2014 11:22 AM

I agree with JD-- the new app locks and freezes my phone, and demands I re-login every single time I bring it up.  Looks to me like a QC step was missed.

Pjam123
9/3/2014 1:19 PM

I also when reloading with pay pal have to input my personal info. and it keeps asking me for my zip code. Is there any advice on trying to get this to work.

Thanks in advance

BigVoxjammin
9/27/2014 12:26 PM

While i like using the app to make my coffee purchase, I can't stand how it logs me out 50% of the time while I'm in line. I have to go out to the car grab the actual card out of my wallet and go back in to wait in line again. I know some people are hyper-paranoid about someone magically stealing their starbucks points, but I'm not. I've actually just left the store before and gotten coffee elsewhere because i couldn't remember my password. More a burden than a convenience. Thanks for giving me a chance to vent on something that has soured my morning (stupid, i know) so often i have come to expect it and actually go elsewhere on occasion (ie not the Bucks)