Braille Banter

Recently I was reading Howard Schultz’s new book, Onward. Page after page, I found myself appreciating Howard as a guiding light – for rethinking what’s possible, for bringing the company back, for redefining vision. Then I came to page 116.

What? He’s speaking directly to me, I thought. That’s where Howard describes a trip to one of our stores in Japan where he finds a hand-made Braille menu. In the book, he talks about rubbing his finger across the Braille and wishing that “everyone at Starbucks could experience this with me.”

I’m sure you all know that Onward is available in multiple languages, but did you know that it is also available in electronic Braille?

This fall, for the first time, one of our new Starbucks Cards has Braille on it. National disability leaders made this recommendation to us a few years ago at a community symposium. Our Starbucks Access Alliance initiated the idea with our Card team and helped make it happen.

Proud, yes. I’ve worked in the accessibility field for many years. You bet I’m thrilled. But while I feel proud, I look forward to the day when things like this are commonplace and no big deal in one accessible world.

But for now, we’ll celebrate. Thank you, community.

Braille Mug Patterns
posted by PamNABQ

Clearmark
9/22/2011 3:09 PM

What a great thing this is from a great company!

Clearmark
9/22/2011 3:24 PM

I actually made a suggestion to my local Starbucks manager (sidebar: the team is AWESOME!) about the Starbucks cold drink tumbler. I love these cups and have 6 of them! The question I asked and suggestion I made was the cups themselves are easy to clean but one problem I have had was with the straw that comes with them. I never really thought about it until I went to fix a drink in mine and decided to look down in the straw. Well, it was not a pleasant site! I am a very clean person but you cannot hand wash these nor will a dishwasher get down in there and get them clean. I ended up buying pipe cleaners so I could clean the inside the straws. It would be very cool to come up with some type of pipe cleaner brush. I know this might sound silly, but really, next time you fix your drink…look down your straw :).

tanny_star
9/22/2011 3:38 PM

these are great idea! ... my dad  has a company about braille!

doublepleaz
9/22/2011 4:02 PM

I like to comment on making a card '

for the deaf since sometimes the local starbucks dont know my son is deaf so i think it be easy for him to order if he has own card thank you

braillelady
9/22/2011 5:12 PM

As a teacher of students who have visual impairments & teach braille myself, I was elated to find out that Starbucks has a GC with braille on it! I plan on buying several as gifts! I appreciate Starbucks recognizing Disability Employment Awareness Month by having this braille card!

lucy latte
9/22/2011 6:06 PM

What a great idea.  I've been teaching braille to visually impaired students for 30 years....I almost jumped up and down at my local Starbucks....inside my favorite Target store....WAY TO GO STARBUCKS!!!

Bold_bean
9/23/2011 10:11 AM

Why is there no information on what it says? We assume it says "starbucks" but we can't seem to dig up if that's true. Come on, step up!

Marthalee G
9/28/2011 9:17 AM

Thank you for your comments.  The Braille does say "starbucks".