Introducing Starbucks® Blonde Roast, the Newest Addition to our Coffee Family

I always look forward to my morning coffee, whether I’m sluggishly heading out the door on a Monday morning or cozily settling in after a weekend stroll in my Seattle neighborhood. While I love to explore our different coffees, I tend to stick to a balanced cup, like Pike® Place Roast  My husband, on the other hand, loves the darkest of dark roasts – the bolder the better. And then there’s my dad, who, while he treasures his morning coffee, typically finds some of our coffees a little too dark for his tastes.

Like many of you, we on the coffee team here at Starbucks know that there are coffee drinkers out there like my dad and prefer a lighter roast. I’m excited to announce that starting today, three new Starbucks® Blonde Roast coffees – Starbucks® Veranda Blend™, Starbucks® Willow Blend™ and Starbucks® Decaf Willow Blend™ – will be available in our stores, online and in supermarkets, not only in whole bean and ground form, but in K-Cup Packs and Starbucks VIA® Ready Brew as well. The Starbucks® Blonde Roast is the lighter roast perfected. It is subtle, mellow, lighter-bodied, full of flavor, and delicious. Not only do I think people like my dad are going to love it, but Starbucks® Blonde Roast has opened my eyes to new, wonderful tastes in coffee. Stop by one of our participating stores January 12-14 for a special tasting event where you can try a coffee from each of our roasts and discover the one you love most.

I am so proud that Starbucks now has the perfect taste for every member of my family. Hopefully you’ll be able to find something for everyone in yours.

Serve the light roast coffee/more choices
posted by kasiesmom

Pike Place is a trademark or registered trademark of The Pike Place Market PDA, used under license.

d27s
1/13/2012 8:19 PM

I didn't get a sample to take home like advertised... I only got a sip of cold black coffee in teeny cup. I voted. What's up with that?

RavnWyng
1/17/2012 6:30 AM

Sorry, but the blond roast falls short.  Just brew up the breakfast blend and all is right in the world.

stevef54
1/17/2012 7:39 PM

Does this tell you something:

What roast do you love most?

Blonde

24.2%

Medium

25.8%

Dark

50%

Yet you decided to cut off the most liked roast at noon and dont tell me they will brew it if you ask. Is more they will brew it if you beg and most places not even.

Betterbefore
1/20/2012 7:37 AM

"I am bold"....and have been (with Sbux) for 20+yrs.  I think @stevef54 makes a good point.

and I did drink nearly a tall of Veranda, never tasting anything.  tasteless.

nelshc
1/21/2012 7:32 AM

Right on!  The blonde is horrible!  It is not Starbucks quality!  Bring back our decaf Verona, please!!!

There is inconsistency between shops on the brewing of bold and decaf in the afternoon.  We do not want cafffeine in the afternoon, but we also do not want pour-over; it's not the same delicious coffee as a brew!

Some shops will brew for you, but some won't

paul_dallas
1/24/2012 9:25 AM

Bring back "Mild" roast Breakfast Blend whole beans.  It is not the same as the new "Medium" roast Breakfast Blend whole beans no matter what is claimed. the beans are darker and the taste is harsh and bitter.

Blonde roast is tasteless and aroma-less.  This morning I have tried and poured out two pots of "Blonde" and a pot of "Medium" roast Breakfast Blend whole beans.

I have added those three pounds of whole beans purchased just yesterday from one of my favorite Starbucks Coffeehouse to my Compost Pile.

paul_dallas
1/24/2012 9:26 AM

paul_dallas
1/24/2012 11:39 AM

I might add that the two pounds of "Blonde" roast beans I pitched on my compost pile were Veranda Blend and Willow Blend.

I think I could brew dead-fall or leaves from my forest and and get about as much flavor and aroma as my tests with these new "Blondes."

So I have driven the 45 minutes to my favorite independent coffeehouse and have had a great cup of their wonderfully roasted Jamaican coffee.  I have a pound of their roasted Jamaican beans to take home for my breakfast for the next week.

I am looking forward to the future weekly visits here to purchase my fresh morning beans.  Old habits aren't so painful to change after all.

Maybe the NetFlix experience will play out at Starbucks, over their withdrawal of the "Mild" roast Breakfast Blend.

CoffeeloverBev
1/25/2012 1:03 PM

I love this new blend.  Very mild!

desertbreeze
1/27/2012 8:54 AM

So far I have read a lot of negative comments, but from someone who finds the regular blends too bold acidic, and can only drink decaf, I really like Blonde Willow blend. I find it smooth, creamy and enjoyable.

Decaf drinkers have so few options available that it was exciting to find a new, lighter roast.

Thank you Starbucks for listening to us less bold drinkers.

Silas
1/30/2012 2:38 PM

I don’t really care for blond roast much either. I’m still happy with pike.

rosiej135
1/31/2012 3:24 PM

I gave my free sample to a friend, since I prefer dark roasts only; she indicated that it was "bitter and not very good". Fortunately, she's still my friend.

Laura11
3/5/2012 4:37 PM

Say it isn't so...no more breakfast blend??  Why oh why mess with a good thing?  It was perfect.  Now I have to begin the saga of finding a different brand.  Judging from the above comments, it won't be Starbuck's :(

Anonymous
3/24/2012 7:16 AM

I have searched for "the perfect" blend of coffee for years. I've tried all sorts, even Kona coffee directly from the Kona Plantation on the Big Island of Hawaii.

I was thrilled when I finally found Starbucks Breakfast Blend MILD roast. I've recommended it to my friends and even strangers at the market.....WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT to find out that it was no longer available! While the BLONDE blends are a great attempt to add variety, they fall short of the fragrance and flavor of the Breakfast Blend Mild.

I'm afraid STARBUCKS this is your "NEW COKE" moment.

Customer
3/30/2012 3:54 PM

We’ve crossed another milestone. Thanks to all the ideas, votes and comments from the My Starbucks

spend2much
6/29/2012 2:57 PM

I love the Blonde Roast!!!!

CraiginNJ
6/29/2012 3:08 PM

How could I be notified of "Tasting Events" at my local Starbucks?  Apparently I missed that one by 5 months!  If I was emailed a notice, was it titled "Starbucks coffee tasting event" or something like that so I wouldn't delete it unread as advertising?

quartet
6/29/2012 9:00 PM

Sorry, I like more "Starbuck's flavour when I drink.  Last Monday, I tried two of the three "blondes" and to my taste they were like dishwater.  The Manager finally made me a Cafe Americain, and that satisfied my desires for flavour, finally.  I simply wanted the dark Roast taste, which these lightweights didn'r have. I can get that'light' flavour in any restaurant.  Give me Ethiopian, French, Italian, but the Blondes strike out again !

Lots of apologies at my 'regular', Richmond, BC shopping centre.

Dave

Miss BB Mild
12/28/2012 1:07 PM

PLease bring back the Breakfast Blend Mild!!! Nothing else compares period! The Blonde version that was supposed to take its place is bitter and tastes nothing like it!!!