How to Order a Sugar-free Tazo® Chai Tea Latte at Starbucks

Our Tazo® Chai Tea Latte is one of the most popular beverages at Starbucks.  It’s hard to resist the combination of rich and flavorful Assam tea blended with exotic spices (cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, black pepper and star anise), honey sweetness and creamy milk.

But some of you like your chai a little differently. Like most of our beverages, the Tazo® Chai Tea Latte is customizable.  You can choose your preferred milk, add additional flavors like vanilla or chocolate, and have it piping hot or chilled over ice.

Many of you have told us on My Starbucks Idea  that you want to enjoy your Tazo® Chai Tea Latte sugar-free. You can do that, too. Simply order a full-leaf tea latte made with the Tazo® Chai Tea sachet.  With a splash of sugar-free vanilla syrup, your chai treat can be almost sugar-free (there's still milk sugars) and sweet.

We are always looking for new ways to enjoy our Tazo® Chai Tea Latte, and would love to hear more of your ideas.  As for me, I like mine with soy milk, and sometimes a little chocolate for an extra special treat.  How do you like your Tazo® Chai Tea Latte?

Sugar-free Chai Tea Latte
posted by Queen423

MommaRegina
5/28/2012 12:07 PM

Thanks for this idea!  Have greatly missed my Chai Latte since switching to a sugar-free diet!

Love the options you give to everyone!

Michii64
6/29/2012 2:44 PM

What you have basically described is a chai tea misto.  While it is an option for those who have to have sugar free (such as diabetics) it is way too watered down for my liking. It just is lacking something.  A true solution to this would be to develop a sugar free syrup like the one that is cuuently used. I'm still pushing for that and not settling for thus weak, watered down substitute of what I truly love.

frugme
6/29/2012 4:26 PM

I agree with Michii64. This is not the same. It doesn't taste the same. You need a syrup.

osteoblast
6/29/2012 5:01 PM

Sorry, this is not what I want at all.  I want a sugar-free syrup.  If I had wanted a watered down chai, I would have simply ordered one (as you've suggested).  I'm really disappointed that you're trying to market this as a proper sugar-free chai - epic fail on your part Ariana.

dux
6/29/2012 5:31 PM

I agree with osteoblast. We need a sugar free chai syrup.I was so excited when I saw that you had a sugar free Chai. Imagine my disappointment when I realized that that is not true.

dux
6/29/2012 5:31 PM

luckiest1
6/29/2012 6:09 PM

I have been ordering Chai tea misto for years.  I am very specific and always ask for VERY light water (sometimes even going so far as to draw a line on the cup to demonstrated just how light I mean).  I just want enough hot water to activate the tea bag.  Then I want steamed soy milk to the brim, and I can sweeten with a Splenda or occasionally a bit of honey if I'm being naughty.  If you like it stronger & spicier, ask for two tea bags.  But it definitely is not watered down if you are specific enough.

pigtails
6/29/2012 6:13 PM

I think this is a fantastic tip, even if it's not a new product!

Why put artificial sweetners in your body when you can have something so tasty and naturally sugar-free?!

I think that those who think it's watered down should give it a try and find that their tastebuds adjust to appreciating the other flavors, and won't miss the sugar.

chaigirltoo
6/29/2012 6:13 PM

Yes - definitely a sugar-free chai syrup for when I want the full latte experience. I drink the chai misto because the latte is way too many WW points. A sugar-free syrup would allow me to enjoy my very favorite beverage once again.

tea drinker1
6/29/2012 6:15 PM

I though my prayers were answered! You missed the mark. The vanilla syrup doesn't cut it. Can't tazo just make a stevia sweetened Chai?

KayGeeP
6/29/2012 7:48 PM

Oregon chai makes a slightly sweetened option than I love but I prefer one made by a barista. It has all the flavor of chai with just a bit of sweet and it is about 30 calories a cup. I am sure Starbucks brand would taste even better!

rkoppel
6/29/2012 10:28 PM

When I read the launched idea headline, I thought...FINALLY after years and years of asking for a sugar free tazo syrup, you listened.  BUT YOU DID NOT!!!  If I wanted a chai tea latte the way you described above, I would just make it at work, which I do every day.  You need to make either an unsweetened tazo chai syrup or a sugar free trazo chai syrup.  Makes me very sad that the message has not gotten through!!!!  Maybe I should be glad that you haven't listened.  I am saving lots of cash by not stopping by every day.  Because of the sugar content, a Starbucks chai latte is only for special occassions.

ziggy2002
6/30/2012 4:47 AM

The solution is to offer a sugar free chai tea concentrate. Simple.

ziggy2002
6/30/2012 4:47 AM

The solution is to offer a sugar free chai tea concentrate. Simple.

ziggy2002
6/30/2012 4:47 AM

The solution is to offer a sugar free chai tea concentrate. Simple.

pjnm
6/30/2012 7:11 AM

Very disappointed.  I was excited when I saw that our opinion mattered enough to work with Tazo to create a sugar free chai tea concentrate.  Alas, this was not the case.  Please reconsider and develop what the customer wants:  a sugar free chai tea concentrate.  My hunch is those of us who love the current product but reduce our consumption due to the sugar (calorie) content will be back from many more beverages than we have otherwise purchased.

pjnm
6/30/2012 7:12 AM

VAharleygirl
6/30/2012 10:03 AM

Count me among those who were happy to see this headline - and very UNHAPPY to see that it is misleading.

I want a sugar-free syrup/concentrate. I don't care for the flavor blend of the Tazo Chai bags.

It's bad enough that a competitor can offer 8 servings worth of insta-product for the cost of 1 Sbux venti, but to continue to not offer a sugar-free option just compounds why I've cut back my Sbux Chai latte consumption.

And other than the occasional coffee-free Frap w my son, I only drink the Chai Latte.

Nanasam
6/30/2012 10:21 AM

This is NOT what I was hoping for...I was hoping for a chai tea latte as you currently serve, just without sugar.  As a diabetic, I must count and limit carbs.  I have seen other-named products next to the Tazo concentrate in the stores called "sugar-free chai tea concentrate" but have tried them and they taste awful.  I know you could do a much better job.  I'm not a food scientist, but it doesn't seem as though it would be too difficult to develop it using stevia or splenda.  Thanks for trying, but please keep at it!!

Chai Hi
7/1/2012 10:56 AM

NOT what we were asking for.  I buy a chai tea latte or frappucino almost every day, which is a very expensive habit but I love it.  I'm not going to spend money on a watered-down version of what I love.  I'm going to cut back, both for diet reasons and my own personal protest.

Chai Hi
7/1/2012 10:56 AM

Chai Hi
7/1/2012 10:56 AM

Chai Hi
7/1/2012 10:56 AM

Chai Hi
7/1/2012 10:57 AM

buggiebrown
7/2/2012 4:25 AM

You folks still don't get it! As the others have pointed out,we want a low sugar chai tea concentrate! The tea bags do not cut it! Your food chemists must be able to substitute something else for the sugar...how do they make sugar-free maple syrup, for instance?

buggiebrown
7/2/2012 4:25 AM

buggiebrown
7/2/2012 4:25 AM

taholbro
7/2/2012 5:18 AM

I completely agree.  We want a sugar free option with the same great taste and consistancy, also I might add here that many of us have been asking for sugar free options with your other syrups.  Peppermint- Mocha frappichino's were my altime favorite but again you did away with the sugar free peppermint syrup.  Very disappointing.

mfreels
7/2/2012 3:47 PM

I agree that this was not what I had in mind when I suggested it either.  A syrup is what we really want so that we do not have to compromise on consistency and flavor just to have a sugar-free option.  It has been done with many other flavors, I am sure that your geniuses can come up with a sugar-free syrup.

mfreels
7/2/2012 3:47 PM

simplyjl
7/2/2012 5:02 PM

I agree with the above, this just doesn't cut it at all. Please make a sugar free chi syrup.  I have quit going to starbucks and getting my favorite drink because it just adds to many calories and sugar. I sure do miss it so hurry up and make a sugar free one.

Anonymous
7/2/2012 7:05 PM

I agree with everyone here and I think Starbucks needs to think long-term, and seriously consider sugar-free syrups (and not just for my favorite chai tea latte).  As many Americans are watching their weight, they need to be thinking how they can keep customers coming back on a regular basis.  I used to be in Starbucks religiously every morning at 5:30 a.m. on my way to work for my non-fat chai tea latte.  Ahhh, but then I noticed a bit of weight gain after a year or so, so I cut back to once a week.  Darn, I'm still hoping for the day when they come up with a true sugar-free chai syrup with the same flavor and consistency so that I can have my drink more often.  Think about it, Starbucks, I went from 365 drinks a year to 52!  You can have me back in there tomorrow -- just come up with a sugar-free syrup... it's a no-brainer.

Cat Foster
7/4/2012 6:35 PM

The misto idea works for me.  I just have to make sure the barista understands that the tea bag just needs to be covered with the water  (A couple of tablespoons at most), then let it steep for a minute or so before adding the soy milk (or milk).  My only problem with it is that I have to either get it on my way home, or stay  still it has steeped for 3 to 5 minutes so that I can remove the tea bags before the flavor becomes too tanic.  With so little water and the steeping, it doesn't taste watered down to me and the flavor is still there.  Then I can add whatever sweetener I want.

MatchaGreen
7/5/2012 12:43 PM

I don't like to add sugar to anything, even artificial sugars, even stevia and such.  When i say sugar-free, I mean free of any sweeteners.  I prefer to add flavor by spicing it up with extra cinnamon and nutmeg and things.  Added sugar is bad for you.  If I really crave sugar, i slice a piece of banana and let it steep in my tea.  This is naturally-occurring, non-isolated sugar, as nature intended.

kender_grl
7/9/2012 9:12 AM

I was so excited when I got the email!  I went to one of my favorite Starbucks and asked for a sugar-free chai latte and they looked at me like I made it up.  I said, "no wait, I got an email" and the barrista made a comment aluding to large amounts of corporate email and things being untrue.  This was likely my last trip to a starbucks for a long time.  McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts are cheaper for plain iced tea and also have free fi-wi where I can get some work done in between meetings.  :-(

kender_grl
7/9/2012 9:12 AM

Mesomiko
7/14/2012 1:58 PM

I signed up for Starbucks.com just so I could tell you how disappointed I am that you haven't made a sugarfee Chai Tea Latte mix! Why the misleading title!?! (That is just annoying!) I love your chai but I can't drink it because I don't consume processed white sugar or corn syrups anymore. Obviously there is a market for this. HANDLE IT ALREADY!

unwanted
7/16/2012 9:33 AM

I've tried this, and it is hugely inferior.  The tea bag  doesn't brew strong enough, rich enough. The tea is so weak, it's like drinking steamed milk with vanilla, sugar-free syrup.

I spend about $30 a week at Starbucks, and I'm going to have to give up the habit in order to get my weight under control.

I buy chai sweetened with Stevia at the store for my enjoyment at home. Sorry Starbucks, you are loosing your loyal customers on this one.

vortexbanding
7/18/2012 8:17 PM

While on the topic of sugar-free drinks, can you PLEASE make sugar-free Refreshers?  Many of your customers cannot tolerate sugar in their diets.  Starbucks, please offer sugar-free options when you introduce a new beverage.

mychai17
7/30/2012 3:07 PM

I am in total agreement with what many have already said here - this is NOT a solution and NOT what we have been asking for!

I too was excited when I read the headline only to be soooooooo disappointed after reading what Starbucks has proposed.  This solution is inferior and time consuming.  What we've asked for is a sugar-free syrup.  I am not sure why this is so difficult to solve when you have many other sugar-free syrups for the coffee drinkers.

As others have said, I need to cut back as well.  I have been purchasing venti chai tea lattes daily for many years now (the mix you can buy in the store is extremely inferior as well) which is much lost revenue for Starbucks.  Not to mention that I'll miss catching up with the baristas that I have come to know very well at the various Starbucks in my area.

When Starbucks can provide the real solution that we've been asking for, perhaps then many of us will be able to return.

I am so very disappointed that Starbucks asks for our ideas, but really only caters to or cares about coffee drinkers.  Lesson learned ...

leftleftright
9/6/2012 4:19 PM

Yeesh, what a bunch of whiners.

sosodef76
10/1/2012 6:35 PM

Pretty sure no one has mentioned this yet. But Starbucks needs to make a sugar-free chai tea latte concentrate.

sosodef76
10/1/2012 6:36 PM

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but Starbucks needs to make a sugar-free chai tea latte concentrate.

frankspeak
11/25/2012 1:56 PM

Is there any plan at all in the works for the sugar free chai concentrate?

VickiAnn
3/21/2013 10:12 PM

I, too, have drastically cut back on my Starbucks trips because I only drink Chai Tea latte, and I no longer want the sugar.  I have been buying Oregon sugar-free chai , and I don't really like it, but it's better than nothing.  And "nothing" is what Starbucks gets from me until they LISTEN to the many potential customers who are begging for this product!

whitneyva
4/11/2013 8:53 PM

i see that this was posted a year ago, but just came across it as the top headline when i googled sugar-free tazo chai. this thing got my hopes up, then sent them right back down...ugh. i have had to cut out my most very favorite drink, because of a low sugar diet... starbucks and tazo, listen to the people, and PLEASE make a sugar free chai!!!

Krowl
4/12/2013 3:07 AM

Is black pepper, cinnamon and ginger really so exotic? I use them all the time in cooking.

That aside, I would like to see a Stevia sweetened beverage, or half stevia/half sugar to at least reduce the sugar content. Stevia is the only sweetener I've tried that I really like besides sugar.

sc4now
7/29/2013 9:36 AM

I tried this for the first time today because I am at Starbucks too much and need to cut down on sugars and calories. I ordered a venti with 2% milk and they used two tea bags. To prevent the watered down taste, I request no water. (The steamed milk will do the steeping.) I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I drink my regular iced tea unsweetened, so the chai flavors and milk were plenty of flavors for me. This will be my new way to order a chai tea latte.

siblock
9/13/2013 8:57 AM

I absolutely agree with the sugar free chai latte idea.  There are sugar free mixes on the market and Oregon makes a slightly sweetened and sugar free chai syrup.  Starbucks has done a great job with the sugar free peppermint but also has to address the Chai issue with more people who are watching their calorie intake but still want a treat at the same time.  SC4now has a great idea but the chai and pumpkin need to have sugar free options.  There are plenty of Starbucks that are near hospitals with weight loss programs and near Weight Watchers meeting sites that a whole new market can be captured.