Bienvenue La Boulange® to Starbucks

Walk into La Boulange®, a beautiful bakery in the San Francisco Bay area, and you feel as if you’re walking into an old-world pastry shop in France.  Guided by the company’s founder and visionary leader Pascal Rigo, the team at La Boulange® skillfully crafts authentic French pastries from scratch using high-quality, fresh ingredients.

With more than 40 years of experience and passion for traditional French baking, Pascal began his career when he was only seven years old and working in his village bakery near Bordeaux, France.  At La Boulange® , Pascal and his team lovingly weigh, mix, divide, roll, cut, and bake each and every croissant, cookie, pastry, loaf, and bread that reaches their customers.

We've heard your requests for more wholesome and delicious food options.  So today, Starbucks Coffee Company announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Bay Bread, LLC and its La Boulange® bakery brand, as well as to hire renowned French baker Pascal Rigo. This acquisition, which is expected to close during Starbucks fourth fiscal quarter, and Pascal’s visionary leadership will bring the artistry of the French bakery to the marketplace, just as Starbucks brought the romance of the Italian espresso bar to many North American coffee consumers for the first time.

We are excited to welcome La Boulange® to Starbucks later this year.  In selecting La Boulange® bakery to join the Starbucks family, we’re taking a stirring next step in offering the delicious and authentic food that you crave. In time, we plan to bring La Boulange® products into our company-operated stores across the U.S.

Onward,

Howard Schultz
Chairman, Starbucks Coffee Company

European Pastries
posted by Innana

Good Croissant Needed
Posted by dc_caffe

Bring Back the Chocolate Croissant
Posted by KatB

archena
6/4/2012 3:49 PM

Thank you! We used to be in the East SF Bay until early 2004.

Now it will be nice to enjoy this at your locations all over the US.

Lucky62
6/4/2012 10:47 PM

Starbucks, stress blocked. Sir, I'm a Chinese college student, I admire you a lot so I recently have applied for a part-time job in Guangzhou, if I succeed, I will do my best. And I'm writing a bussiness plan for you, to achieve the goal that Starbucks is chasing, it can make it! When I finish, I hope you can read it, or now I can descipe it simply to you, my e-mail is 503040609@qq.com. My dream is to be like you! Hope you can see my comment.

sfsolstice
6/5/2012 12:02 AM

What a great acquisition.  I am pleased that I will be able to get their great pastries at my local San Rafael, CA store.

Melody
6/7/2012 8:43 PM

This is great news! I'm looking forward to delicious new baked goodies.  I think I tried the baked items before when I lived in San Francisco a number of of years ago.

Thank you Starbucks (and Howard and all)!

sunrised
6/17/2012 2:44 PM

thank you, thank you, thank you!!! upgrade to pastry and bread items is definitely needed!!

0nTheFIy2
7/22/2012 7:03 PM

It's nice that Starbucks is about to bring us "authentic French pastries".  Now if only you could offer us REAL ITALIAN ESPRESSO- instead of something you refer to in your annual reports as "Italian-STYLE espresso beverages"!

Ferrari12
2/4/2013 10:27 PM

Umm...so when will we see some of these "authentic French pastries"?  I'd love to try them, especially because I missed visiting La La Boulange whilst on holiday in SF.  Also because most of your pastries, while "natural" to some extent, are still packed with preservatives and certain evil oils.

FooIsYouAII
4/24/2013 5:37 PM

Bienvenue chez Starbucks, au revoir La Boulange.....

Based on nothing more than anecdotal stories of the dissatisfaction with the parbaked nature of pastries being finished off in the store; things do not look too favourable to the future of La Boulange pastries success at Starbucks.

Not everyone eats their pastries immediately.  And this is something apparently Starbucks did not take into the equation when offering a parbaked product, requiring finishing off in at Starbucks.

markowil
4/29/2013 6:32 AM

Glad to hear that positive moves are being made, however, this is now almost the beginning of May, and nothing has been happening. We have visited many SBUX stores across the US over the last 6 months, and no improvements seem to be forth coming. Our home store is in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada, and it doesn't look like pastries will be coming to Canada anytime soon. So disappointing.

mughugger
6/18/2013 9:51 AM

The pastries remind me of frozen breakfast items that can be purchased in the grocery store.  I've also noticed that the need to heat most items has increased wait times for my items and lengthier lines, especially in the drive thru.

There is also missing good savory items for vegetarians that aren't loaded with butter.  The small serving sizes keep the calories down, but aren't filling.

Did I miss anything?  Not impressed at all.

bossypj
6/25/2013 6:49 PM

The new pastries are okay but I miss my slice of banana walnut bread. It seemed larger then the banana walnut pecan baby loaf.

Tsolum
7/21/2013 8:52 AM

Not a fan of the mini loaves- I agree with previous comment that they remind me of what you would purchase in a package of 6 or 8 to take home for the kids. And the one scone you are selling is a very poor excuse for a scone- perfectly square without the interest of a hands on approach to baking or taste of something you look forward to. I am so disappointed

bbartolomeo
8/15/2013 9:21 AM

I was pretty excited when I heard Starbucks was going to offer La Boulange pastries. Once I tried and saw how revised the menu was from the original items Starbucks offered prior to introducing La Boulange I was incredibly disappointed. I travel to San Francisco annually and always hit up a La Boulange and love their fresh pastries. Honestly some of the best I have had. However on SB's menu they taste completely different??? I wish SB would stick to their original pastry items. SB honestly had some of the best cake pops (Super disappointing only one flavor is now offered), cakes and muffins. I don't think the change is for the best for Starbucks and La Boulange. Again the La Boulange pastries on SB's menu taste completely different than the original bakery. When I tried several items such as the croissants and mini loaves I might as well have bought them half off at a local grocery store...I hope Starbuck's reconsiders this merge or at the least brings back some of their original, signature pastry items. Very disappointing!

vforest
9/16/2013 11:30 AM

This just doesn't work for me.  Gooey, oozing chocolate all over the place? No thanks.  This product appears to be from a convenience store's frozen offerings, not would I would expect from Starbuck's.

vforest
9/16/2013 11:31 AM

nealnotneil
9/25/2013 8:43 AM

The Boston area just changed over to the new pastries.  I know I'm not alone when I say this is a great disappointment because I enjoyed the old pastries.  The quality and selection was MUCH better than the new selection.  I guess that since you bought the pastry company, it seems there is no hope for improvement and you'll make up for the loss in number of items purchased by pricing the new ones higher.

Nellnee
10/6/2013 9:11 PM

Starbucks will never get another cent from me for these nasty "new" pastries. Undersized, over priced, and NOT GOOD. Taste like they came from the freezer... and I DON'T WANT IT HEATED. I go to starbucks for scones, and you took the good ones away. The blueberry "scone" you have now is what, a third of the size of the old ones for the same price? If I could get the money back from my starbucks card I would. So instead I am using up what is on there and will figure out somewhere else to get my shot of coffee and pastry. I have local shops to choose from, you've lost a customer here.

Nellnee
10/6/2013 9:11 PM

catfansf
10/16/2013 8:43 PM

I don't like the pastries at Starbucks.  I miss the scones they used to have.  Breakfast sandwiches are tasteless.  I have to take them home and doctor them up!

catfansf
10/16/2013 8:43 PM

catfansf
10/16/2013 8:43 PM

Martinez1
10/23/2013 7:08 PM

Howard: disappointing pastries in Houston. Dried out banana bread, morning buns nothing like Starbucks photo. Been going to Starbucks since opened and pastry quality has gone downhill. Cold and don't even offer to warm up.

cp3120prtd
11/21/2013 7:30 AM

Love, love, love the pastries, scones, breads, etc. that we've enjoyed...hoping the switch won't happen for a LONG time here!  My husband has tried some of the new ones while traveling and was very disappointed! (Why fix/"improve" something that wasn't broken?!!?)

LakeBluff1
11/23/2013 1:18 PM

Very disappointed in the quality of La Boulange . . . not sure why Starbucks wanted to/had to switch.  I don't eat in the store.  The quality and taste are awful by the time I get back home or to the office.    The previous pumpkin scones were my favorite!  I ate them year round.  Since La Boulange became the replacement, I have been going the Panera location nearby.  While they don't have a pumpkin scone, their cinnamon crunch, orange, and strawberries and cream scones are quite tasty and much closer to the former Starbucks scones.  I've talked with the store manager and e-mailed through the website and Panera is looking to introduce a pumpkin scone option . . .  I continue to boycott all Starbucks food until they go back to the good stufff and not this microwave garbage.  Howard, big mistake!!!

johnpmx
11/27/2013 1:28 PM

A fresh baguette with melted butter and a cup of French Roast. Pure delight.

johnpmx
11/27/2013 1:29 PM

A fresh baguette with melted butter and a cup of French Roast. Pure delight.

ord2lax
11/29/2013 9:45 AM

New pastries are small and extremely overpriced. Heating them up seems to be perceived as an added value. I considered buying a fruit cup today, then looked closer and for $3.55 it was a sliced apple and two tiny bits of some melon. No thanks. Kind of insulting and a huge misstep.

shell4
12/1/2013 6:18 PM

I do not like the pastries! Used to pick up pastry or food item with coffee but stopped after trying several new items. Did not find any that i wanted to finish even consuming. So disappointing!

shell4
12/1/2013 6:18 PM

Tildatoo
12/4/2013 12:40 PM

This seemed so promising but turns out it was terribly disappointing.  I never buy food anymore.  Please go back to the old food.  It was wonderful.

AD Bell
12/10/2013 11:31 PM

Dear Mr. Schultz

I wish to invite you and marketing & sales duty employees from Starbucks Coffee Company to CES that will be held in Las Vegas.

I’m David Kang, CEO of E-Detail Co.,Ltd in South Korea.

E-Detail will participate at CES and be exhibiting AD bell (product with Smart phone Charging/Radio paging system/Monitor advertising) and other products.

The purpose of invitation is to introduce E-Detail’s new innovative product, AD Bell.

I would like for you to come and see AD Bell which caters to you and your consumers by distinguished services with AD Bell that better meet your customer’s need.

I have confidence that you and your customers will be satisfied with it.

E-Detail is ready to provide all plans for profits of Starbucks and is going to enunciate the concrete proposition at CES in Las Vegas.

Please see the attached file (Brochure of AD Bell) and if you have any inquiries, please let me know.

I’m expecting you and the persons concerned to visit E-Dtail’s booth(#70834) in Korean ballroom of Venetian pavilion.

For reference, AD-Bell was chosen as 2014 the best product for CES by KOTRA (Korean Government Trade Agency).

We look forward to welcome you and your colleagues.

Sincerely,,

David Kang

CEO

E-Detail Co.,Ltd

◎ Tel: +82-10-4448-9779

◎ Fax: +82-2-6212-0139

◎ E-mail: ingers88@naver.com

◎ Add. : 6F, Chang-Won Bldg, 1363-2, Seocho-dong,

Seocho-Gu, Seoul, Korea

AD Bell
12/10/2013 11:31 PM

Dear Mr. Schultz

I’m David Kang, CEO of E-Detail Co.,Ltd in South Korea.

I have confidence that you and your customers will be satisfied with it.

We look forward to welcome you and your colleagues.

Sincerely,,

David Kang

CEO

E-Detail Co.,Ltd

◎ Tel: +82-10-4448-9779

◎ Fax: +82-2-6212-0139

◎ E-mail: ingers88@naver.com

◎ Add. : 6F, Chang-Won Bldg, 1363-2, Seocho-dong,

Seocho-Gu, Seoul, Korea

JCatherineP
2/12/2014 12:35 PM

I'm really disappointed in the La Boulange pastries.  I think they are dry and tasteless.  Please bring back the old ones!  I really miss the old pumpkin loaf and pumpkin scone.

KathieA
3/14/2014 8:49 AM

Starbucks really needs to get some BETTER PASTRIES in their shops. Under baked Lemon Loaf and Banana Walnut Breads are 2 of my pet peeves. Yes, they are moist. But only from NOT being baked long enough. Geez, if you charge so much for the pastries at least offer a excellent product. I skip all of them these days. SAD.

havecoffee42
4/17/2014 1:58 PM

I loved the pumpkin bread slices from the past and bought them a lot.  I never buy food at Starbucks anymore.  It just doesn't taste good.

havecoffee42