Fall Leaves Starbucks Card is Back

Fall is just around the corner.  Colorful leaves, long sleeves, and soup come to mind but you might also recall the Starbucks Card in Braille released last year during this time.  The emblematic card depicted autumn at its essence--orange and yellow, gold-foiled and rusty-colored leaves blew and heaped along the bottom of the card-- made all the better by depicting the word "Starbucks" in Braille at the top. The card was a fast favorite among customers and partners, sighted and blind.

Starbucks quest to create a welcoming environment extends far beyond the accessible design of the stores, beyond the world-class customer service our partners provide - this fall Starbucks stores will again offer this Starbucks Card in Braille.  (The card is also available year round online.)  But the great doesn't stop there...Starbucks stores in the U.S. and Canada will have a full Large Print and Braille menu. Wait, there's more, each store will also have a Picture Menu from which to point and construct the beverage as nuanced and uniquely yours as your favorite autumn sweater.

Bring on the brisk crisp days and the long shadows! I'm ready.

Keep putting Braille on gift cards
posted by braillemom

Menu for the seeing impaired
posted by dmsvt

Braille Menu
posted by noir

BrettYarrow
9/15/2012 1:13 PM

Why is there a picture menu for blind people?

That makes no sense?

It would be nice to have a little more information about the menus? Where will they be located how will people know about them to use them?

Are you relying on sighted people to get your message out?

My brother is sight impaired and legally blind, this would really help him, so where do I get some more information?

Will you be sending out some information in braille if people need it? If so where would I be able to sign him up for that?

Sorry but this post isn't very helpful. . .

A little less waxing poetically and a little more practical info would be nice.

Thanks,

B. Yarrow

MrWho
9/17/2012 6:58 AM

If a person doesn't speak English, or if an individual is hearing impaired, the Picture Menu is a great tool for them to communicate their order.

As far as the location of the new menus goes, they will be kept behind the register. One must ask at the register, and they will be provided.

bDanger
9/20/2012 2:49 PM

Very cool card! It looks (and feels) beautiful in person. Bravo!

Re: Picture menu & the blind -- being visually impaired doesn't mean fully-no-sight-at-all-blind. A picture menu at arm's length for someone who maintains some degree of sight would still be extremely helpful.

It's not a lights-on/lights-off thing like it is for the sighted. :-)

Topdrag
10/1/2012 9:32 AM

Still waiting for the iOS 6 app update but I love the design of the new card!

elyisgreat2
10/1/2012 9:45 AM

Only 10% of blind people use braille. Still a breakthrough card. Also waiting for iOS 6 app update (First passbook app for me).

amywillow
10/1/2012 9:49 AM

Finally!  As early as 1994 I have made several complaints regarding the menu board being unfriendly to those with visual impairment, and the lack of picture/photo menu not only just for those with speech impairment and/or language proficiency, but also for those who simply do not have a clue what a "macchiato" or "latte" is (think foreign visitors).  Why did it take this long?  I was about to file a formal complaint with the US Department of Justice over this.

amywillow
10/1/2012 9:50 AM

Braille card is nice :)

It would be even nicer if the card speaks account balance.

amywillow
10/1/2012 10:00 AM

I also like to see the return of the early 1990s brochure with picture of each espresso drinks that explains how it is made (and how to pronounce words such as macchiato).  I really miss it -- the artwork was also superb.  When I moved to Seattle 20 years ago I knew none of those things so it really helped me.

I am extremely myopic and the way menu board is placed in most stores is really tough -- it is on the back wall and letters are too small and contrast is not as strong, typeface is not very friendly for people with weaker sight (I like Clearview/Roadgeek font, the new USDOT standard font for street signs), often the lighting near the board creates a glare that makes it even harder to see.

sxjoyxe
10/1/2012 10:05 AM

how about better seating for people with disabilities? put in accessible doors while you're at it! a lower counter area for those in wheelchairs who don't want to reach over their heads for a steaming hot cup of coffee. not to mention the obstacle course of displays stores seem to love have up! those are some things I would get excited about. A card with braille... eh.  also, why keep the picture menu behind the counter?! that doesn't make sense to me.

JohnBFisher
10/1/2012 11:50 AM

Okay, folks at Starbucks, imagine you are the customer coming in with visual impairments. Now imagine you go into the store, unable to see the menu board, hunt for a printed copy, then have to ask "Do you have a printed copy I can read?" ...

Gee, thanks for making the experience even more awkward!

If you make me wait until you want me to order - because everyone is busy - Starbucks just slowed everything down. Because now I need to read the menu and then decide what to have. Not only did it slow down the process, it just made me feel VERY uncomfortable and pressured.

Try to put yourself into the shoes of the person visiting your stores.

Just put the menu on the counter. Make it accessible for anyone that looks for it.

aliciakiser
10/13/2012 7:35 AM

I love Starbucks! I am in a wheelchair so it makes it harder for me to get out and go into one of your stores. I would love to see a Drive Thru Starbucks built around the Charleston, WV area. I would defiantly get Starbucks more often. Please consider! Thanks!

golfreak
11/24/2013 6:53 PM

I have 10 Fall Leaves Braille cards but they must be a mistake because it does NOT have the braille in it - it's just a fall leaves card.

Anyone else seen this?