Save Money, Cups and the Planet

For as long as MyStarbucksIdea has been around, you have suggested we find ways to reduce cup waste and encourage more people to bring in their own reusable cups. Starting today in the Pacific Northwest, I am happy to announce we have another way of doing just that.

Introducing the new, reusable (and recyclable) Starbucks® cup for hot beverages.

While we’ve sold reusable mugs and tumblers for years, what makes this new reusable cup exciting is that it’s yours for only $1. It’s a quality, low-cost option to enjoy your favorite Starbucks® beverage. And since you receive a 10 cent discount each time you use it in stores, it pays for itself in just ten uses - and then factor in the fact you have saved ten paper cups.  If you use it for a month, you will help avoid using more than a pound of paper, or 3.5 lbs of wood.   Plus, at the end of its life, if polypropylene (#5) plastic recycling is available in your region, you can recycle this cup and truly minimize your impact on the planet!

Starbucks is committed to reducing our cup waste. We have both recycling goals and a goal to serve 5% of the beverages made in our company-owned stores in personal tumblers by 2015. By offering this low cost, reusable cup option and continuing to provide our 10 cent discount, we are hoping to inspire many of you to bring your own cup.

Think of it as bringing in your reusable bag when you shop. Yes, it might be a slight change of behavior at first, but eventually it becomes the norm.  And in case you don’t live in the Pacific Northwest, stay tuned – this simple, fantastic cup will be coming to a Starbucks near you soon.

archena
10/2/2012 11:11 AM

Nice - Thank you for helping all become more responsible for the environment!

bDanger
10/2/2012 11:32 AM

I can't wait to check these out! Great idea.

It will make a great cup to take with on vacations, too ... reusable, but no worries if it gets lost or damaged along the way.

Hayley
10/2/2012 1:31 PM

I tried 2 Starbucks this morning...and both baristas had no idea about this!  Now I see it is only in the PNW.  I was in tears when I couldn't get one this morning! :(

TheKwan
10/2/2012 3:23 PM

Same here.  Read about it late last night on Melody's blog.  I went to my local (Clover) Starbucks this morning, and the baristas did not know anything about it.   I was disappointed not to find them, as I thought they'd roll out today, only to find out they're only in the PNW for now.

Will be on the lookout to snatch some up; it's not always practical to carry around a heavier tumbler, especially on-the-go.

christamcd
10/2/2012 8:28 PM

What is the Pacific Northwest territory?

hlbate
10/3/2012 6:46 AM

CARIBOU COFFEE GIVES A $0.50 discount for bringing in your own cup.

jbird74
10/5/2012 10:20 AM

I got mine this morning here in Lake Stevens, WA. I will definately re-use it and spread the word! It is quite sturdy and the lid is nice and tight. I am very happy with this product, thank you starbucks for an afforable alternative to paper cups!

Nevbu
10/7/2012 12:19 AM

While this is wonderful, It will take more than a 10 cent discount for me to change my ways.

sbx_slon
10/8/2012 11:28 AM

Thanks everyone for your warm reception to our new reusable cup!  We are seeing lots of people buying them and look forward to seeing them come back to our stores for beverages – with that 10-cent discount.  As I mentioned above, these cups are only available in the Pacific Northwest region right now (that’s Washington, Oregon, Alaska, and Idaho) but will be more widely available soon.  This will help us, and you, drive us towards our goal of increasing personal tumbler use!

Hayley
10/8/2012 9:37 PM

I have been looking for this through a friend I've enlisted that lives in Salem, OR.  No luck :(  Any idea when these will be more widely available or if there is any way to get one now?

Anonymous
10/9/2012 10:15 AM

Awesome!!! :o) I would luv to have one. May be two or three of them. :o)

Miss Diva
10/9/2012 10:19 AM

The last comment was from Ms. Diva. :o)

Jane Dough
10/17/2012 3:38 PM

We desperately need these in Los Angeles...please hurry with these great cups...they seem like an idea I could commit to (I have not done well with the bulky ones that need to go home ever night plus they are never really big enough for my venti latte) I'm looking forward to reducing the waste I am creating by using 2 (or more) starbucks cups per day...

Eggman
10/19/2012 7:43 AM

Love the idea of your $1 cup ..... is it available everywhere? Why not make "offering a china cup" part of the order taking instead of having to ask to find that they are not available or a big deal to obtain, and they make your coffee sooooo much better!! I do realize that it takes resources to wash cups but much less waste.

Eggman
10/19/2012 7:46 AM

Your cup recycle bins are ' green washing ' as they are not being properly used and are totally useless when placed in the hall way by the restroom!!! Customers need to be 'trained' to use them!!

iwannavacation
10/20/2012 12:17 PM

I love the recyclable cup I picked up while visiting Portland. I wish I had bought 10. Please bring the cup to other locations (especially Canada!).  They are light and easy to take around. Inexpensive enough to have one every place you drink coffee. Best of all it feels just like drinking out of a paper cup!

spersaud1776
11/2/2012 6:05 PM

Love this idea and I think it would do great for college students. Hurry and make it available in Florida stores.

girly112
11/25/2012 12:54 PM

Can you tell us when these cups will be sold everywhere?  I cant wait to get one!

anotter1
12/25/2012 5:08 AM

Best idea EVER!   It's REUSABLE, washable, unbreakable, light, keeps beverage hot longer than ceramic, fun to personalize w/ permanent markers, I can send house guest home with a hot drink and never worry about the cup finding it's way back home.  To the inventor of this marvelous idea, YOU ROCK! Kudos! Great job! Right on! And... thank you!  I sing the praises of this product!!!

idsportsmom
1/2/2013 11:12 AM

I picked mine up this morning and I am in love!  This cup truly feels like a paper cup and kept my drink warmer for longer which is super.  Bravo Starbucks!!!

OALady
1/3/2013 1:54 PM

I picked up mine this morning too. Now I have to locate that leather cup sleeve so I do not have to waste paper to keep my hands from burning. I remember seeing one not to long ago but I can't remember where.   Thank you, Starbucks, love this great idea.

OALady
1/3/2013 1:54 PM

TheKwan
1/3/2013 11:54 PM

I picked one up in Los Angeles today.  I was excited to see a nice display on the counter, to the side of the register.

OALady - in the U.S., there are some (including a new one) online:

www.starbucksstore.com/.../Search-Show

ABreshears
1/4/2013 4:46 PM

Love this! Getting one tomorrow. I'm an Oregon girl so everything we can do to be green is great!

rdeanmorrison
1/4/2013 4:46 PM

This is a great idea and I promptly bought one at my favorite store.  I was disappointed though when I learned that the cup is only available in Grande size.  Since I always purchase Venti sized drinks, I hope consideration is given to adding the larger size soon!!

tomyg
1/4/2013 4:57 PM

They are going for ten bucks on ebay!.....l

djramus
1/4/2013 5:04 PM

Great idea, will definately go this route

bento9622
1/4/2013 5:10 PM

Would like to see a venti size cup and fill marks, I always order a Grande in a venti cup so I don't have to pour any out. Sometimes the baristas do not give  you your moneys worth, a fill line would help the baristas guarantee the customers are getting there moneys worth. Thanks

galelmft
1/4/2013 5:18 PM

Can we get the 10 cent discount if we bring in our other reusable mugs? If not, why not? Thanks.

akitty52785
1/4/2013 6:13 PM

I think it is a great idea. When will it be coming to the east coast??????

LauraZee
1/4/2013 6:58 PM

It's already here in Chicago.  Just picked mine up today.  Love the idea!

LauraZee
1/4/2013 6:58 PM

It's already here in Chicago.  Just picked mine up today.  Love the idea!

LauraZee
1/4/2013 6:58 PM

It's already here in Chicago.  Just picked mine up today.  Love the idea!

budgetrecycler
1/4/2013 6:59 PM

Got my cup yesterday.cant wait to use it enough to pay for it self.love the cup though

budgetrecycler
1/4/2013 6:59 PM

NERV01
1/4/2013 7:04 PM

These are going for about $8 to $10 on eBay.  I suppose many must have it, but sort of removes the "it pays for itself in just ten uses" concept.

Lightening
1/4/2013 7:10 PM

Got my cup yesterday!  Told today to keep the lid because the Starbucks people can't touch it!  I said okay & handed the person my empty cup!  She filled it up & handed me a "hot" cup of coffee out the drive-thru window without a lid!  Needless to say this is NOT safe because someone is going to spill it on themself and sue you!  Even your Starbucks person said "the company probably has NOT thought this through".  I said I would write the company.  Reconsider or put a plastic lid on my cup & hand it to me?

Lightening
1/4/2013 7:10 PM

Lightening
1/4/2013 7:10 PM

flgators
1/4/2013 7:13 PM

Can't wait to see this started in Jacksonville, FL.

erskine23
1/4/2013 7:17 PM

I was in a relatively long line at my local Starbucks (down here in Houston, TX) this morning, and the barista was asking people if they wanted to purchase the reusable cup (but not being too pushy). To my surprise, every single person in line (all seven people ahead of me) bought one. It was really cool to see so many people embrace something like this!

98S351
1/4/2013 7:26 PM

My only concern is reusing a platic tumbler over and over again.  With hot water/tea/coffee being poured int hese tumblers over and over again Chemicals from the plastic and the chemicals from the color of the cup start to leak/release in microscopic amounts from the cup over time creating a health hazard.  I sure hope they are made of a double aluminum insulation or something safe to drink out of or else i'm not buying one. Other than that it's a great start and a good idea to try and go green.

98S351
1/4/2013 7:30 PM

My only concern is reusing a platic tumbler over and over again.  With hot water/tea/coffee being poured in these tumblers over and over again Chemicals from the plastic and the chemicals from the color of the cup start to leak/release in microscopic amounts from the cup over time creating a health hazard.  I sure hope they are made of a double aluminum insulation or something safe to drink out of or else i'm not buying one. Other than that it's a great start and a good idea to try and go green.

MaGuy
1/4/2013 7:31 PM

Hate to burst your bubble ... While I applaud the sentiment, polypropylene cups won't save much of anything.  You'll use a lot more hot water to clean them ... Energy derived from oil, gas and electricity to support your "environmentally friendly" cup.  You'll use more fossil fuels trying to save trees (which are renewable) than disposing of paper cups.  It's good PR for Starbucks ... Not much actual impact.

Civilian
1/4/2013 7:33 PM

A venti size ... please! This is about the only complaint I can make against Starbucks. You sell a Venti-sized drink; I order one ... daily (sometimes twice, daily). Why can I not get reusable drinkwear to hold my hot Venti drinks?

MaGuy
1/4/2013 7:35 PM

No chemicals leach from polypropylene.  It inert.  There are far more chemicals used in the production of paper (including bleach) used to produce the current cups.  There are close to 135 chemicals that are used in the production  of the average paper product.

MaGuy
1/4/2013 7:35 PM

flemgal
1/4/2013 7:44 PM

My disappointment with this idea is that it doesn't come in the venti size.  I like to get a venti chai and make it last.  Since I do believe in being environmentally responsible, I guess I will permanently downsize my order so I can get a cup.

catherinecw
1/4/2013 7:56 PM

Hope to see these soon in Tallahassee!

ArmandoBailon
1/4/2013 8:00 PM

I bought it yesturday and love it. You may not get a huge discount like many friends and people have mention it to me but we got to see it that we're doing something to keep our planet clean.

ArmandoBailon
1/4/2013 8:06 PM

cavaliercountr
1/4/2013 8:16 PM

I don't think this will work for me.  I buy a drink every day between going from one job to another and I stop at the drive through.  If everyone is doing this and we have to wait until we get to the window to give them our cup it will take forever.  I only have a few minutes to drive through.  My time and getting my drink is more important than saving the planet with cups.  Sorry, I don't mean to sound uncaring but just don't think this will work for me.

PugMafia
1/4/2013 8:16 PM

Bought mine today and looking forward to using it in the morning! (Atlanta area).

PugMafia
1/4/2013 8:16 PM

PugMafia
1/4/2013 8:17 PM

PugMafia
1/4/2013 8:17 PM

MookieB
1/4/2013 8:17 PM

Love the idea!!!!  When will they available in Upstate New York?

MookieB
1/4/2013 8:17 PM

Love the idea!!!!  When will they available in Upstate New York?

MookieB
1/4/2013 8:19 PM

Love the idea!!!!  When will they be available in Upstate New York?

GFayjane
1/4/2013 8:20 PM

This sounds great, but is the reusable cup only for plain coffee/espresso?  How will the cup work for espresso drinks like lattes?  In order to not hold up the drive thru lane, everyone using a reusable cup would have to go inside to order a latte in a reusable cup.  It's certainly doable, but what will it do to Starbucks' drive-thru traffic vs. inside?

AlwaysLatte
1/4/2013 8:21 PM

Not favorable to idea of reusable cups. Presents too much risk of cross contamination. Think of all those dirty hands that handled the cups before they hand them over to your barristas. Rinsing out the cup with hot water in an attempt to sanitize requires more wasted hot water and does nothing to sanitize the outside of cup. Employees will have to wash their hands much more frequently after handling customers dirty cups (who knows where those cups were stored). It's flu season, remember! Do you really think this is a good idea?

jtberk1
1/4/2013 8:40 PM

Are these reusable cups microwave safe, dishwasher safe? Would also like Venti size.

jtberk1
1/4/2013 8:40 PM

SanBrunoGal
1/4/2013 8:49 PM

I've been bringing in my own cup for ages and get the 10-cent discount, so you don't have to buy this cup if you already have something suitable. And #5 plastic recycling is not available in many communities.

setram
1/4/2013 8:50 PM

This is such a fabulous idea. Cheap, green and a discount on top just for using it, I am IN!!!

Coffee lova
1/4/2013 8:52 PM

just got one today I love it!!!!!!!!

Coffee lova
1/4/2013 8:52 PM

just got one today I love it!!!!!!!!

Chocolate Rose
1/4/2013 8:55 PM

I think that this is a good idea.  Though I have been finding uses for many of the items that come home with food.  Most get at least one in home use and then are used to contain yard trash.  From picking uo fallen flowers to picking up after my pets.  And any otheer thing that I can come up with, like holding a small amount of paint for touchup.  Use your imagination and see how many uses you can find for even the regular cups.

Chocolate Rose
1/4/2013 8:55 PM

Chocolate Rose
1/4/2013 8:55 PM

BrainyBrandy
1/4/2013 8:56 PM

It seems that this is going to make the wait significantly longer at the drive-thru.  You can't make my drink (or the person's ahead of me, or the person's ahead of them) until we're up at the window.  And ewwww...it's one thing when I drive away and realize I've gotten the wrong drink.  Now, though, I stand the risk of driving away and drinking from someone else's cup before I realize... .  For only a $.10 discount with each use (the amount by which everything will probably go up before long anyway), I don't think you should charge for the cup.

Mcat
1/4/2013 9:21 PM

Will these cups come in all the sizes currently on your menu?

Mcat
1/4/2013 9:30 PM

To address the comment way way above here re: cross contamination you gotta hang onto your lid. No one but you should touch your lid. And as soon as you walk out your door there's cross contamination on every handle you touch and at the counters money and plastic cards are not germ free.

No one is making anyone get these cups. I find it interesting. Both sides. Not sure what I will do. If I'm out on vacation or simply left the cup at home I would need a paper cup as usual. And I have noticed the paper cups are becoming very flimsy and crease easily and near collapse if tops are put on wrong.

Let the debate go on. I may just make coffee at home. Cheaper. Sanitary. And my own cup. Lol.

bignick
1/4/2013 9:39 PM

Another marginal to bad idea that hangs it's hat on environmentalism and being "green".

Any plastic will degrade (leach out certain substances) when enough stress (heat, pressure, cleaning chemicals, etc.) is applied. Also, that degradation leads to making the plastic cup brittle. After enough time you'll reach for the cup and it'll crush in your hand. Hot beverages all over you and your car interior, I smell law suit written all over this.

BTW, what about those (free) paper heat sleeves? Will they also be replaced with something more green (that you'll have to pay for) or doesn't that count as paper?

EricT
1/4/2013 9:41 PM

Will we be able to refill in airport locations?

Holidayanne
1/4/2013 9:47 PM

You do realize that the barista does not "make" your coffee in a cup.  They make the coffee then pour it in your cup, paper or reusable.  So, other than adding whipped cream or other topping, the difference in time in negligible.  I am excited about these cups, mostly because the are affordable, I can have more than one which increases the likelihood that I will have a clean one on hand.  Thank you *bucks.

MattK
1/4/2013 10:14 PM

If you're a 7-day-a-week customer (like me), over a six month period this cup will save you $18 and prevent about 22 pounds of waste from going to the landfill. Multiply that by hundreds of thousands of customers and the environmental benefits are incredible.

javalover55
1/4/2013 10:17 PM

I agree with Alwayslatte, I believe there will be a lot of cross contamination. Yes there is contamination on door handles, money, etc but do we need to add more?  If people are not concern about the cross contamination why have us remove the lid before handling my cup?  By the time I remove my lid I have pretty much smear my germs and possible cold and flu viruses on to my cup. This is a concern when you think of the possibility of someone with active herpes break out turning in a contaminated cup and my cup is handled next. Yuck!!!  I guess I won't be buying those cups or going to any Starbucks that handle used cups .  I just don't believe it is very sanitary.

Anonymous
1/4/2013 10:38 PM

Let's put the concern over contamination into perspective. Let's say you use a paper cup - you go up to the counter, order a coffee, and hand the Sbux associate a $10 bill. She takes the money, gives you your change, then gets your cup of coffee and puts the lid on. Your paper cup and lid have just been exposed to millions of bacteria, but it doesn't worry you. I submit that the money is just as "dirty" (if not more so) as any reusable cup that the associate touches.

MizzMacchiato
1/4/2013 11:30 PM

Can't wait till it hits midtown NY and Westchester!!

AshleyGwaltney
1/4/2013 11:55 PM

Will this discount ever apply to the cold cups when it comes to iced coffees?

casie
1/5/2013 12:09 AM

Where can I find out who has these

Caskey
1/5/2013 12:57 AM

Please add my voice to those hoping for a Venti size of these cups ASAP

Caskey
1/5/2013 12:59 AM

Please add my voice to those requesting a Venti size ASAP

SimplyDrip
1/5/2013 1:04 AM

Awesome/ smart idea! Also, at only $1 how can you say no! Love the idea, can't wait to purchase my cup!

miket641
1/5/2013 4:06 AM

I think I'm onboard with this.

miket641
1/5/2013 4:06 AM

I think I'm onboard with this.

miket641
1/5/2013 4:06 AM

I think I'm onboard with this.

miket641
1/5/2013 4:06 AM

I think I'm onboard with this.

miket641
1/5/2013 4:07 AM

I think I'm on-board with this idea..

miket641
1/5/2013 4:07 AM

I think I'm on-board with this idea..

miket641
1/5/2013 4:07 AM

I think I'm on-board with this idea..

miket641
1/5/2013 4:07 AM

I think I'm on-board with this idea..

miket641
1/5/2013 4:07 AM

I think I'm on-board with this idea..

miket641
1/5/2013 4:11 AM

I think I'm on-board with this idea..

dnoble
1/5/2013 4:21 AM

My wife and I between us have about 20 Starbucks coffee's a month. It's a great idea. We're in the Southeast, so bring it on.

StarbucksAce
1/5/2013 4:26 AM

Great Idea!  When are us New Yorkers Gonna get this.

StarbucksAce
1/5/2013 4:28 AM

I agree with Caskey, Venti size in New York would be awsome!

in2sbux4life
1/5/2013 4:52 AM

Cool beans!  What a great idea, and it's affordable too.  Thanks for listening to your customers.  We <3 SBUX!  :)

haverwench
1/5/2013 5:15 AM

Here's my question: with the new reusable cups, will the baristas actually prepare the drink *in* the reusable cup? Or will they continue to do what they now do with other reusable mugs: mix the drink up in a disposable Starbucks cup, pour it into the mug, and throw away the cup? Because with this practice, obviously, no waste is eliminated at all.