Save Money, Cups and the Planet

For as long as MyStarbucksIdea has been around, you have suggested we find ways to reduce cup waste and encourage more people to bring in their own reusable cups. Starting today in the Pacific Northwest, I am happy to announce we have another way of doing just that.

Introducing the new, reusable (and recyclable) Starbucks® cup for hot beverages.

While we’ve sold reusable mugs and tumblers for years, what makes this new reusable cup exciting is that it’s yours for only $1. It’s a quality, low-cost option to enjoy your favorite Starbucks® beverage. And since you receive a 10 cent discount each time you use it in stores, it pays for itself in just ten uses - and then factor in the fact you have saved ten paper cups.  If you use it for a month, you will help avoid using more than a pound of paper, or 3.5 lbs of wood.   Plus, at the end of its life, if polypropylene (#5) plastic recycling is available in your region, you can recycle this cup and truly minimize your impact on the planet!

Starbucks is committed to reducing our cup waste. We have both recycling goals and a goal to serve 5% of the beverages made in our company-owned stores in personal tumblers by 2015. By offering this low cost, reusable cup option and continuing to provide our 10 cent discount, we are hoping to inspire many of you to bring your own cup.

Think of it as bringing in your reusable bag when you shop. Yes, it might be a slight change of behavior at first, but eventually it becomes the norm.  And in case you don’t live in the Pacific Northwest, stay tuned – this simple, fantastic cup will be coming to a Starbucks near you soon.

Customer
1/15/2013 4:55 PM

A top suggestion on My Starbucks Idea has been to focus on offering recycling in stores. We've made

TaylorH
1/24/2013 1:06 PM

Thanks for introducing these.  They just started to appear in my local shops.  I have to ask for them as they are usually behind the counter but I hope the become more visible over time.

Don't let this be like so many Starbucks experiments where it's forgotten in 6 months.

AspiringPhD
2/16/2013 1:33 PM

I really love my reusable cup but a reusable sleeve would help keep my hands cool. The cup gets really hot making it difficult to hold and drink out of.

sunf7sh
3/20/2013 10:21 AM

So I just got this cup recyclable cup today and the only thing bugging me is will Baristas continue to note my orders on them with markers? Will I be able to get the markings off easily? I'd to keep it pristine.

vsalad
3/20/2013 12:16 PM

Best product out there for $1! It is microwaveable (see bottom of cup), great for backpacking, camping, daily use, etc. Now, if you could just keep stockholders happy, and still drop the price of your coffee... :)

3/29/2013 5:13 PM

Pingback from  Restaurant Deals: Free Food & Money Saving Coupons! (Updated 3/29) - Dont Make Me Nuts

Restaurant Deals & Coupons (updated 5/11/13) - Everyday Coupon Queen
5/11/2013 1:20 PM

Pingback from  Restaurant Deals & Coupons (updated 5/11/13) - Everyday Coupon Queen

Restaurant Deals (updated 5/17) - Everyday Coupon Queen
5/17/2013 7:53 AM

Pingback from  Restaurant Deals (updated 5/17) - Everyday Coupon Queen

6/27/2013 12:02 PM

Pingback from  Reuse Your Cup and Save at Starbucks | Coupon and Discount Blog by DealLocker.com

liamsmimi
10/23/2013 7:09 PM

Well, I don't live in the PNW, I live in Kansas City, and I saw these reusable lightweight cups in my local Starbucks yesterday.  A drawback for me was that they only offer a grande size, and I'm a Venti coffee drinker!  I hope Starbucks will make them in Venti size as well.  Seems like a great reusable cup b/c it has the look and feel of a paper Starbucks cup.

liamsmimi
10/23/2013 7:09 PM

Rajput
11/13/2013 1:20 AM

How long it takes Starbucks to adopt an idea from these comments and then implement it?

This idea had been around for long. We have a coffee shop's membership mugs that entitles you for free coffee for one year for just joining the club.

marytierra
11/20/2013 9:56 PM

Love this idea! Not too expensive to start with and we will be saving trees and money!

Taurus
11/21/2013 8:18 PM

Love them

Mochoko
11/22/2013 8:45 AM

I didn't know about 5 cents discount!  Awesome!

PrimaBella
1/28/2014 11:29 AM

Please speed up the process to include your Wisconsin stores its cold here and we would love it--- takes sooo long for our stores to update!!

PrimaBella
1/28/2014 11:29 AM

04Noles
2/25/2014 10:16 AM

Got 2 in Miami!  They are fantastic.  I use one at work to refill my coffee and one in the car for stoppong at Starbucks.  Love the cups!!

sarahshoe7
4/26/2014 5:07 PM

I love this idea! I think you should create a cup for cold drinks also. I love this cup in the winter, but I can't use it in the summer when all I want is a cold Starbucks drink. Thank you! :)

sarahshoe7
4/26/2014 5:15 PM

tawelch
5/4/2014 6:24 PM

I think that today's consumer wants to be able to have a product they enjoy and know that they are not harming the environment by enjoying the drink and saving the cup. i think that the idea of a reusable cup signifies that Starbucks is as committed to the world as we, the consumer is. I cannot wait for the cups to come to ALbuquerque New Mexico. I think that we should also get a savings for saving the planet maybe a $1.00 per cup would encourage those not as aware as the rest of us.