Our Commitment to Tea

Since our very earliest days as Starbucks Coffee, Tea and Spices, Starbucks has been heavily invested in the tea business.  Back in those days, we scooped 27 different varieties of tea for our customers in the original Pike Place Market store – and after acquiring Tazo back in 1999, our commitment and passion for tea only increased further as that brand became an established part of our portfolio in both our stores and in grocery channels.

Today I am delighted to share with you the exciting news that on the back of a record financial performance for Starbucks in our fourth quarter and fiscal 2012, Starbucks has entered into an agreement to acquire Teavana. This transaction should signal that we have moved our plan to fundamentally transform the consumer tea experience in both North American and international markets into high gear.

Over the past 15 years, Teavana has built world-class capabilities in tea authority, global sourcing, merchandising and best-in-class retail store unit economics around its single-origin estate teas. Teavana’s considerable tea expertise, coupled with the romance and theater of the retail experience that is at the very heart of Starbucks heritage, will create a differentiated customer experience.

Our enthusiasm for this news is matched by a commitment to continue growing Tazo  –  an already thriving $1.4 billion brand for Starbucks.  Teavana complements Tazo and, in fact, unleashes Tazo to compete aggressively as our premium entry point for consumers seeking an innovative and differentiated tea experience while providing us with flexibility to pursue a two-tiered global tea marketing strategy.

We are excited about what’s ahead and welcome your continued thoughts and feedback as we redefine the tea experience for customers around the globe.

Onward,

Howard Schultz

VALERIA WASHIN
11/14/2012 12:12 PM

REJOICE MY HEART!!!

For two of my true passions are now together!

My best coffee, my purest tea!

This should be declared a holliday, I feel like go dancing in the street!

JeffDossett
11/14/2012 12:16 PM

Congratulations Starbucks and Teavana! The evolution of 'connections' continues and expands once again. Time to celebrate by enjoying afternoon tea and great conversations with friends.

AL914
11/14/2012 12:37 PM

I love both Teavana and Starbucks. So does this mean I can use my card a Teavana?

Kimmievee
11/14/2012 12:40 PM

This is great news. I love love love Starbuck's coffee and also love Teavana teas. I have 4 pounds of Starbuck's in my cupboards at any given time and several tea tins of Teavana loose leaf teas for blending. The best part of this news for me is knowing that Starbuck's will take their high level of outstanding customer service and infuse it with Teavana's product line making it a stronger, and more satisfying experience all around. Starbuck's, I congratulate you and am thrilled to be a small part of the Starbuck's story. :)

HaileyIvan
11/14/2012 12:41 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Will Teavana sell starbucks now too? Will Starbucks still sell Tazo?

As a Starbucks barista I can see this increasing sales but also causing a lot of confusion in different stores.

Granian
11/14/2012 1:21 PM

This makes me very nervous.  On the one hand, Teavana currently treats its employees like crap.  On the other, Starbucks has been cutting back on their variety in coffees over the past year or so and I don't want the same thing to happen to Teavana.  I guess we'll have to see.

Tommy Ryan
11/14/2012 3:19 PM

I am very excited to see how Starbucks will kick things up a notch with Teavanna.  This brings my two favorite worlds together.  Looking forward to a drive through that I can get the "green tea of the day".  I trust you will do great things with this Howard and company!

Ferrari12
11/14/2012 6:54 PM

I'm not going to say this gets you out of getting rid of free Soy Milk for Gold cardholders, but THANK YOU STARBUCKS!

I can't wait to see what would come of this.  Premium, loose-leaf tea options in Starbucks stores?  A true tea time, complete with teapots and cups?  I hope all that and more! :)

Thanks again, Starbucks!  I look forward to what will come of this acquisition.

Not to sound ungrateful, but can we please have all-natural drinks next?  Pretty please, and stevia too?

Merci. :D

Ferrari12
11/14/2012 6:55 PM

Could this mean Tazo or Teavana Verismo pods as well?

If so, au revoir, Nespresso!!

Melody
11/14/2012 8:03 PM

Congratulations to both Starbucks and Teavana! It means the options for tea drinkers will get better, and even more exciting!

Taizong
11/14/2012 8:35 PM

A few months ago I thought this might happen. And turns out I was right. Good idea though, seeing I bought Genmaicha from Teavana.

ZSoulArmorX17
11/14/2012 10:17 PM

GASP!! YAY! This might just make my birthday all the more epic! My favorite coffee venture and my favorite tea avenue together at last... *happy sighs*.

TeaPrinadean
11/16/2012 6:19 AM

I'm excited about this!! I just started working with Teavana 3 weeks ago and I was wondering why we opened up right next to a Starbucks and even in the Mall the other teavana is close to the Starbuck. It's a Match made in heaven But I know You guys wont change teavana you will just make it better and increase the profits. Those die hard Starbucks tea fans will now... Know how great we are and I can stop convincing them that our Teavana tea is better.. Now.. I can say Hey check us all out we are family!!! lol.. I kinda wonder do i get a discount at Starbucks and does Starbucks workers get a discount with us.... discounts go a long way on Cast Iron tea pots... lol Yay bucky!! I love you guys..

jeromekafei
11/17/2012 11:32 AM

When I heard the news about Starbucks acquiring Teavana,  my first impression was that it made perfect sense.  I then started to ask myself why.  Was it the product lines?  I thought of my recent experience at the local Teavana shop here in Southern California.  I remembered that I was struck not just by all the different types of teas, but how they were packaged, and how well trained the staff were to field any questions I had.  That dovetails well into Starbucks design and training philosophy, so it's no wonder it made sense to me when I first heard about it.

ld3
12/9/2012 4:48 PM

I hope this doesn't mean that starbucks will be getting ride of their Tazo tea because teavana just bought out a tea chain in Canada (teaopia) and got rid of the majority of their tea blend keeping about 10. I absolutely hate teavana's version of chai tea and starbuck's tazo is the best i've had.

Customer
12/28/2012 10:38 AM

This is the time of year for reflection and celebrating the highlights of 2012. We love hearing what

ILTeaDrinker
3/7/2013 7:03 AM

Love the idea - so now all I need is to be able to get some decaf black, green or orange pekoe tea at Starbucks to be total-tea excited!

001maddox
3/11/2013 12:31 PM

Hope you can correct teavana customer service... Hands down the worst....they never answer the phone and customer service in the winston salem store is embarrassing ... I will never go there again....

OneFourThree
2/11/2014 12:06 PM

Am I incorrect in my recollection that you said that Starbucks would never sell 'flavored coffees'?  And, when Starbucks did in fact introduce such items, much was made that the flavors were "NATURAL", and not artificial, so that was somehow OK.

Now with the purchase and introduction and introduction of TEAVANA into the Starbucks family, I am dismayed everytime I see the words "ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR" in one of the teas I am about to purchase ingredient's list.  Without any clarification or indication as to what these "ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS" are, I am left ill at ease, and perplexed that Starbucks would even consider introducing them into Starbucks stores.

Without a wholesale reformulation of TEAVANA blends, eliminating the artificial flavorings, I cannot see how the introduction of TEAVANA tea blends into Starucks is a step forward.

As both TAZO and TEAVANA are both equally now Starbucks brands, does it really matter what the name on the product being offered by Satrabucks is, as long as that product is up to Starbucks highest standards?

(Sorry Howard, TEAVANA amongst those I associate with is more of a joke than a destination.  Something along the lines of, TEAVANA is for those who know nothing about tea!)