Launched: A Macchiato for Hazelnut Lovers

Looking through your comments, we noticed something. There are some of you who like to add Hazelnut syrup to your Caramel Macchiatos. And we’ll admit it – that’s a great flavor combination!

But as we considered this idea and experimented in our test kitchens, we realized something: A Hazelnut Macchiato could be pretty dang good on its own. And that’s what we’re introducing today.

Like its caramel cousin, this artfully crafted espresso beverage unfolds into layers of delicious flavors. When I tried one, the first sip was all velvety foam and generous hazelnut drizzle. Next came the rich espresso and steamed milk. The final treat was the gooey mixture of sweet hazelnut and vanilla syrups waiting at the bottom.

Oh, there’s an iced version too. It’s equally delicious, and it looks like art in a glass with the layers of flavors swirling together in the fresh cold milk and ice.

We hope you enjoy these new beverages as much as we enjoy handcrafting them for you. Let us know what you think, and what other drink ideas you have.

KathleenWatson
3/5/2013 9:25 AM

Ohhh...does this mean there's a Skinny Hazelnut Macchiato option??

edicius
3/5/2013 9:38 AM

I can only hope so, Kathleen. Then I'd be all over this...at least once in a while. ;)

tealeaf55
3/5/2013 9:51 AM

Maybe I will see if my favorite Starbuck's can make a this into a cream Frappuccino (add some Vanilla Bean too)

=)

susanjs
3/5/2013 9:58 AM

If it weren't snowing and the roads so bad, I would bolt out of here to the nearest Starbucks!  Sounds delicious!!

javamom88
3/5/2013 10:39 AM

Walking distance from my house:) I'm sure it's worth it!

Sha_Mocha
3/5/2013 10:49 AM

Say word I'm so happy to hear this i'm going to get one in a few.

BaristaRachelM
3/5/2013 11:40 AM

@KathleenWatson- Yes, there is a skinny! Non-fat milk and sugar-free syrup like normal! The topping, however (just like the caramel macchiato's), does not come in sugar-free. But the HM can be just as skinny as the CM :) This is my new personal favorite, and I hope you love it, too.

Spencer Cross
3/5/2013 11:56 AM

It would be great if announcements for new drinks indicated whether or not they can be prepared vegan.

Tdavis
3/5/2013 1:03 PM

Just stopped into my local starbucks to purchase the new hazelnut macchiato and I was told that I could not get the drink that I had to wait until it was released, So I ordered my usual venti double shot with white mocha and found out they just about doubled the price of it, I asked about it and they said that they had to raise the price because they was loosing to much money on the extra expresso in the double shots....What ever!!! Come on Starbucks quit being so GREEDY!!!

samjal
3/5/2013 1:19 PM

Is there a promotion on the caramel and hazelnut macchiato? Apparently there's an offer valid between 3/5/2013 and 3/31/2013.

{BARISTA: PLEASE RING AS DISCOUNT CODE 350}

cxpistol
3/5/2013 3:00 PM

I'd be interested.

carollk
3/5/2013 4:06 PM

According to the web site, the hazelnut frappucino is made with toffee nut syrup instead of hazelnut syrup.  Why is that?

piratelife
3/5/2013 11:47 PM

Is it true about the free 12oz Hazelnut drink?? Also is it valid in Vancouver/portland?

karencarter
3/6/2013 12:35 AM

It is sooooooo good. But then again, everything I get at Starbucks is great. What a nice wake-up.

carollk
3/6/2013 4:24 AM

Hey, I just saw that the "idea" that resulted in this drink has -70 points.  It's good to know that down voting doesn't affect anything one way or the other.

3/6/2013 9:28 AM

@carollk - We look at the popular, top, and sleeper ideas.

carollk
3/6/2013 4:26 PM

Thank you, Melissa.  Could you please answer my question about the hazelnut Frappuccino?

Orogrande
3/6/2013 8:46 PM

Can't wait to try it...decaf for this heart patient!

NatZac
3/7/2013 5:18 AM

Tried the Hazelnut Macchiato with Soy and it was wonderful!!

BarbaraJM8
3/7/2013 5:21 AM

We are on our way to try it!

lola106
3/7/2013 5:34 AM

I had one this morning and it was great.  I have a few standard drinks that I order and now the new hazelnut macchiato will be in the mix.  Please keep it on the menu!

Emily F
3/7/2013 2:21 PM

Yes please let us know if drinks can be veganized!

Zahrasmom
3/7/2013 3:02 PM

What is the word on free coupons for a tall Hazelnut or Caramel Macchiato that can be used until March 31st? I've seen lots of web chat regarding people asking about the freebie, and getting some very rude responses from SBUX personnel. Was this coupon on-line, in certain locations, or just an urban legend? Please clarify!

sbx_sspe
3/7/2013 4:15 PM

@carollk - Hi Sarah here, from the blended beverage team.  The Hazelnut Frappuccino is made with toffee nut syrup to ensure the best flavor profile.  During product testing, we found that the flavor profile of Hazelnut syrup conflicts with the richer, toasted nut flavor of Hazelnut drizzle.

As always, customers can customize and make their Frappuccino however they want—with both Hazelnut syrup and drizzle!

carollk
3/7/2013 5:01 PM

Thank you, Sarah.  It could have been made with vanilla syrup and called the Hazelnut Macchiato Frappuccino.

ginahardin
3/9/2013 4:09 PM

I absolutely love the hazelnut macchiato and hope that it will always be on the menu all year round, I was hooked on the caramel for a very long time but now I find that the hazelnut macchiato is much better please keep it on the menu thank you

Morgan29
3/10/2013 10:32 AM

Tried the Hazelnut Macchiato a couple of hours ago.  Noticed the taste of the coffee first; I'm still getting used to dark roast coffee whenever I drink it (prefer the medium roast myself), but as described on the Starbucks website, I experienced the crescendo of the Macchiato and enjoyed it. Overall, quite delicious; my compliments to the people who developed it.

acarlough
3/10/2013 11:49 AM

Sorry didnt like it!!  I tried it iced and it was flavorless.  I thought give it another try and again I just didn't find the mix of flavors like Starbucks claimed.  It was quite a boring flavorless drink.  Maybe the hot version is better.  Not willing to waste the money finding out though

michellefuente
3/10/2013 6:33 PM

I have always been a HUGE fan of the Caramel Macchiato but this Hazelnut Macchiato is my new favorite drink! I can't get enough! I've already 5 in 7 days~ YUMMY!

nanabunny007
3/11/2013 11:46 PM

I've been searching for the coupon so that I could try the  Hazelnut Macchiato but I can't seem to find it. Does any one know where I can get it ?

Lindsey A
3/12/2013 9:23 AM

Stores received a limited number of Free Macchiato Cards to give to select espresso customers to invite them to experience our new Hazelnut Macchiato or Caramel Macchiato. To redeem the customer needs to give their barista the Macchiato Card.  We have heard misinformation is circulating online, generating questions from customers like you. We apologize for the confusion.

icemomi1004
3/13/2013 10:16 AM

Where is the coupon for free tall coffee?

carollk
3/13/2013 3:55 PM

So that means that this coupon that I printed before it disappeared for a free tall hazelnut macchiato won't work?

vickyzhao
3/14/2013 1:52 PM

it tastes awsome

lululouise
3/15/2013 10:19 PM

I love it because its not overly sweet. A nice alternative to the white mocha americano I usually get!

coffeecupcake9
3/18/2013 6:56 AM

I looove the caramel macchiato but i am a true hazelnut lover and this idea was absolutely genius still has the look of the macchiato but its a nice mellow flavor it just tastes so good it really makes my morning:)

pinkfrk
3/19/2013 11:21 AM

I agree with @Spencer Cross.  I know I can make certain drinks vegan, but wondering about stuff like the hazelnut drizzle, etc.  Vegan info would be so amazing of starbucks!!!

pinkfrk
3/19/2013 11:21 AM

OH, and vegan or not, this macchiatto is genius.  Best drink yet!

pearl1222
3/19/2013 4:26 PM

how can i get the coupon?

jenhuang88
3/22/2013 5:17 PM

yum!!

Mazukin
4/3/2013 8:02 PM

anyone, is hazelnut drizzle vegan?

or better give me list of ingredients, pleeease

carollk
4/6/2013 11:57 AM

sbx_sspe - Just got back from Starbucks where I ordered a hazelnut light Frappuccino.  They made it with hazelnut syrup and no drizzle.  I asked for the drizzle and the flavor profile was fine.

by Jacki | Odds + Ends / 6