The Gift of Starbucks, in 140 Characters or Less

Today our love of coffee and digital innovation come together on a brand new platform called tweet-a-coffee. It’s a fun, thoughtful, unique way to send Starbucks® using Twitter. Surprise your friends or show appreciation to those you follow.

With tweet-a-coffee, you can easily tweet a $5 Starbucks Card eGift to the people on Twitter you’d love to meet for a cup of coffee but will probably never get the chance, or you can send one to a friend in another city. All you need is a Starbucks account and Twitter account.

Here’s how it works. Go to www.starbucks.com/tweetacoffee to connect your Starbucks and Twitter accounts and confirm a payment method. Then from Twitter, type: @tweetacoffee TO @recipient’s name. You can even personalize your tweet with a message. Next, tweet the eGift. Your recipient will receive a link to their $5  eGift, which they can print out, redeem from their phone at participating stores or transfer to a registered Starbucks Card. Your $5 Starbucks Card eGift will be charged to the credit card that you have on-file for your Starbucks account.

I encourage you to try our tweet-a-coffee beta and then share any ideas for making it even better. Tell us right here on MyStarbucksIdea.

Adam Brotman
chief digital officer, Starbucks

dropslash
10/28/2013 11:34 AM

This is a fantastic idea. My only hesitation comes from not knowing what occurs in the event of a retweet. If I tweet "@tweetacoffee to @twitteruser1" and it get's retweeted, or  edited and retweeted as "@tweetacoffee to @twitteruser2", am I on the hook for however many times it's retweeted?

TheKwan
10/30/2013 12:50 AM

This is a neat idea.  I do believe that people should know upfront about limitations with twitter accounts that are 'protected.'

People may have a Starbucks account, but not necessarily a registered card with funds loaded.  It may seem obvious, especially for heavy Starbucks card users (or those who may have eGifted before), but I'm guessing some people aren't understanding they have to pay for this, based on twitter comments.

jocelynedw
10/31/2013 4:50 PM

I think this is a great idea. I've often wanted to quickly and my friends a coffee, without having to know their Starbucks Card number and pin. Can't wait till this confess to Canada!

Ferrari12
11/7/2013 8:11 PM

I like the idea, however I often receive hundreds of dollars in Starbucks gift cards for both Christmas and my birthday (everyone knows I love it, plus my birthday is in December), and I would much rather pay with money from my card than from a credit or debit card.  Why can't we do this if our Starbucks account is used to Tweet the other user?

I also should note that I do not own a credit card nor a debit card, being 16.  I do, however, posses a Starbucks Gold Card which I don't mind spending with. :)

Dulzura7
11/10/2013 3:53 AM

You might want to submit that idea as a regular post.  People can pay for merchandise on Starbucks store. Com so I'm sure they could make this happen.

jackalacky
11/20/2013 8:09 PM

Great idea

anarain
11/20/2013 8:39 PM

Great suggestion

connieetu
11/20/2013 10:25 PM

This is a really great way to greet someone else! Even if they are far away from you they'll still receive the warmth.

storytime2005
11/28/2013 6:31 PM

Love this idea!

TeganTowne
12/17/2013 10:55 AM

Just thought I’d share… <3

Zulily has a Starbucks Holiday card promo that is $25 for $25 card (that I linked to my account immediately)- best part is, if you use up the whole $25 by 12/31/13, you will receive an additional $10 ecard in January. After I linked the card, I went to a local store after class yesterday and purchased 2 frappucino's, a reuseable cup, a cake pop, cranberry bliss bar and pumpkin bread- all on seperate orders, totalling 6 stars. I got the stars by the end of the night and used up about $18 on my promo card. A bonus was that since I used the reuseable cups, I got another $.10 off the drinks and now that the promo is going on, I'm at 9 stars in less than 10 minutes.

Zulily has their promo only until tomorrow at midnight, so in case you don't have an account with them, copy and paste the link below and sign up! If you're an avid Starbuck's drinker like I am, it is more than worth it!! :)

www.zulily.com/.../ttowne483