Coming to a Starbucks Near You: Faster WiFi

We pride ourselves on constantly improving your entire Starbucks experience, including what happens after we hand you your beverage. So lately we’ve been hard at work researching a variety of ways to improve the in-store WiFi.

We’re proud to announce we’ve partnered with Google to provide faster WiFi services. We’ve already started rolling out the new WiFi and expect the faster service to be in all U.S. company-owned stores in the coming year.

Your suggestions continually improve the Starbucks experience. So visit My Starbucks Idea regularly and tell us what’s on your mind. (With faster WiFi, that might be even easier than before.)

Better Faster WiFi
posted by Centurious

dyelton
12/3/2013 10:00 AM

It's about friggin' time! Starbucks has gotten a lot *LESS* of my money because the wi-fi is so horrid at *ALL* the locations I've ever been to. It's amazing that it took you guys this long to realize that customers are extremely disappointed with the wi-fi.

You know it's bad when you have to switch from your unlimited data plan to one with tethering just to get Internet access at a Starbucks...or mooch off of the Chick-Fil-A wi-fi next door.

aboy336
12/4/2013 7:59 PM

That's quite surprising because every Starbucks that I have visited, uses AT&T as their Wi-Fi, AT&T being the fastest internet mobile service, typically has the fastest Wi-Fi in the shopping area.

Cookiemownster
12/5/2013 1:04 AM

I hope i will be able to log in with my android phone. Ive had a hard time logging on the wifi at ANY starbucks stores with my LG Optimus L9 android phone.

dlangh
12/5/2013 9:50 AM

aboy336,

Are you a shill for AT&T?  Sure sounds like it.   I doubt many people would agree with your assertion that AT&T has the fastest internet.  I certainly would not and I honestly don't know anyone who thinks that.

I have been to a LOT of starbucks all over the country and out of the hundred or more I've been to, maybe 2 or 3 have had adequate internet speeds, most of the time after a few minutes I give up in disgust and leave.

Elvis818
12/6/2013 1:50 PM

Starbucks speeds  never exceed .42MPS, that's darn slow. It would seem fast if you use dial up at home.  Maybe that is how what 'aboy336' is comparing it to.  LOL

luvnthatjava
12/8/2013 8:17 PM

In the morning I downloaded an app that was supposed to connect me faster (no sign-on each time) at Starbucks. The app didn't work so I uninstalled it. There was no wi-fi no matter what I tried!! So, I had to use my data with TMobile which is supposed to be unltd. but don't want to exceed the allocated amt. of date or they will slow my service down. Everyone else seemed to be plugged in. My connection was via my smartphone so should have been easy to be online. Does this have anything to do w/AT&T being the selected company, I use TM? I am very disappointed with this.

WeHoMikey
12/9/2013 6:58 PM

my local Starbuck's is pretty crowded at any hour of the day or evening - and their WiFi service seems to be AT&T's DSL.

Speedtest.net shows I'm able to download at - wait for it - dialup speeds.

This explains why I can't access my STARBUCK'S card on my phone, and why I always seem to be HOLDING UP THE LINE!

Starbuck's, you monitor all aspects of your product, why can't you monitor your stores' WiFi usage and have your cheap-a** provider adjust accordingly??

DenverBuckeye
12/12/2013 8:06 PM

Hey, I work with the company that is about to upgrade all of the Starbucks stores under the Google banner. You should realize the massive undertaking that it is to upgrade the wifi of 13,000 stores. Starbucks is going to pay $50 million in annual maintenance fees to keep the wifi running.  Just note that it isn't each store calling up AT&T for a wifi router, it's a serious data undertaking.

leesan87
12/13/2013 11:10 AM

Just so everyone knows, Starbucks currently uses AT&T T1 dedicated 1.5/1.5mbps. This is definitely slow if any more than 7-10 ppl are on the network. They're upgrading their copper-based T1's to fiber over ethernet dedicated 10/10mbps through Level 3 (marketing agrmt setup between Google and Level 3 so they're marketing it as "Google wifi".) This is why they're saying '10x faster' and also the latency will improve greatly so you'll experience a smoother browsing experience as well. I work for Verizon Enterprise Solutions and the industry-standard for setting up such a dedicated fiber over ethernet connection is at LEAST 60-90 business days so this is why the rollout is taking so long. I'd expect we'll start seeing incredible speed improvements at Starbucks by Feb 2014 at the earliest. Enjoy!

1/10/2014 11:13 AM

You can see what stores now have the faster WiFi powered by Google on the store locator page on Starbucks.com - www.starbucks.com/.../search

Healnfire
2/4/2014 8:55 PM

This is so needed!

itsme3414
3/4/2014 1:15 PM

Gotta say, not too pleased.  Was just in my local Starbucks and they just got Google Wi-Fi and first I couldn't connect at all and then I got connected and dropped within 5 minutes.  Had to leave so I could do work in a place with more consistent connection.  Never had this issue with AT&T...

largevoice
8/3/2014 5:30 AM

SLOW SLOW SLOW - UNUSABLE ever since you switched to Google at Boerne, TX Starbucks. I cannot come in to the store if I can't connect! Must be connected while I am here (work). Called Google 4 days ago - still not fixed.

Everyone at this store is complaining!!!