Refreshed Starbucks for iPhone Mobile App includes Digital Tipping

Our teams have worked hard to provide an industry-leading mobile experience for Starbucks customers, and while we are just scratching the surface, we wanted to share a few exciting updates with you. Next week, the Starbucks for iPhone app is getting a fresh look with new features.

So, what’s new?
• Digital Tipping: This is a top idea you’ve shared with us. We agree. The heart of Starbucks is our store partners, we appreciate the work they do every day and we want to make it possible for you to as well. What better way than by leaving a tip from your mobile device? Once you scan your card to pay, you will have the option to leave a tip.

• Shake to Pay: No matter what you are doing in the app—checking your Star count or browsing the latest Pick-of-the-Week—simply shake your phone and your registered Starbucks Card will appear, ready to scan.

• Easier Access to Account Information: From your homescreen, you’ll easily be able to stay up to date on your My Starbucks Rewards Star count and rewards, inbox messages and more.

Some other ideas you’ve shared here on MSI are coming true too – digital receipts and transaction history. Keep the ideas coming!

To prepare for this update, make sure you know your account password and set a reminder to download or update the new Starbucks for iPhone app on March 19.

And don’t worry, we didn’t forget about all you Android customers —a new mobile experience will be coming your way soon!

RealSnowWhite
3/12/2014 3:47 PM

I don't understand why the tipping options must all be preset.  Why can customers not enter their own tipping amount?  I get having a few default options, but the last one should have been 'enter an amount for tipping'.

cbartholomew
3/12/2014 5:17 PM

I'm so irritated, as an app developer - I supported the app from day one and promptly suggested this on 1/31/2012: mystarbucksidea.force.com/ideaview

I was completely trolled by this "community" on the suggestion. I hope whoever pushed this through got a great pat on their on shoulder. I'm just blown away that people actually responded to this suggestion the way they did two years ago. Unbelievable.

ahempton
3/12/2014 6:47 PM

I'd also like the option to set any amount or an automatic set % or $ as a preference.

nedrey
3/12/2014 7:50 PM

So, you've added more features to the official iphone app  (soon to come to android) but still no word on when (or why) there is no Windows 8 app....  what gives?!

rockfish
3/13/2014 8:56 AM

I don't mind tipping someone giving me good service. I do object to a tip I give goes to someone else I never interact with or consistently gives bad service. For that, I refuse to tip.

87daysbefore
3/14/2014 12:39 AM

There really should be an option to enter your own tip amount. Sometimes I  like to be nice to the people I see (literally) every day and give them a $5-10 tip. $2 is not enough.

JenniG74
3/14/2014 9:09 AM

Just adding some coffee cup is half full perspective.  Thanks for an awesome app to begin with, Starbucks, and glad tipping is now an option.  As someone who's worked from a general pool tip jar, its' better than nothing.  The more in the "jar", the more I get. How else would it be done on an app unless you had the personal information of a particular barista.  That would just be weird. Maybe they'll come up with a fix for that eventually.  And, irritated app developer, thank you for your idea.  Though I doubt you were the single developer on the planet to propose the idea before or after.

Joe Blow1
3/14/2014 1:41 PM

I find it hard to tip someone before I get my product/service.  The people at my closest Starbucks are the most unfriendly people I've experienced in any Starbucks and the quality of mixed drinks vary from okay to terrible, with most of them on the poor end of the scale.  I love Starbucks, but avoid my local store whenever I have a chance.  I think that if they expect a tip, they should earn it.  The prices are somewhat high to begin with.

kimmmmeee
3/14/2014 8:52 PM

I work at a licensed store and am not allowed to accept tips. What happens to the tip money if someone adds a tip to their total in this new app feature?

tecrunner
3/15/2014 11:16 AM

I agree on tipping, having the option to chose my own amount in addition to pre-sets would be nice.  Glad it is finally a feature.  I also agree that I would like to tip the person, not the store tip jar.  There must be an easy way to target a tip to an individual without invading a store team member's personal privacy (scannable cards?).

Melody
3/15/2014 9:00 PM

@Cbartholomew - I just went and voted your idea up. :)

I'm looking forward to tipping the app but like others, I'm crossing my fingers that the Android version comes along soon.

Congrats Starbucks on bringing this to life!

maryjohnston22
3/16/2014 4:16 AM

Are QR codes a possibility for each barista;

therefore my tip would be linked to an individual rather than a "jar"?

MissLux
3/16/2014 9:27 PM

To everyone stating that they don't want to tip until after they receive their drinks/food/service, there will be a 2-hr window in which to leave a digital tip.

DJMBalt2010
3/17/2014 3:30 PM

I might be speculating, but I believe baristas have to key in their employee number to operate the registers before ringing an order.  I wonder if a tip-receiving order rung by a specific employee can't be tracked under that employee's log-in, thus resolving the issue of who gets our tips...though a tip pool makes just as much sense considering it takes a team and team effort to run your favorite Starbucks location (and is often a tool for many location managers to encourage improved customer service across their entire team).

Overall...GREAT MOVE STARBUCKS!  It will be nice having the option to recognize great customer service when it's experienced.

Ferrari12
3/18/2014 9:14 PM

It's about time you update your app for iOS 7! ;)

But I'm very impressed with what I've read about it, and can't wait for tomorrow to come around so I can try it out!

Sara L
3/18/2014 10:57 PM

I wish there was a way to specifically tip the Barista making my drink. Pushing a couple of buttons on the register doesn't really drive a tip for me, but I will tell you that the Barista working on the Maestrana deserves a tip if they don't scald my coffee and it tastes the way Howard Schultz describes in his books.

Porter22
3/19/2014 12:45 AM

I've read a lot of comments on here about people wanting to tip one particular barista instead of their tip going into a tip pool.  Having worked at Starbucks in the past,  I can tell you that it takes the whole team working together to get you and every other customers beverages and food items out to you not only in a quick manner but also with a major focus on quality.  You may have had a great experience with the barista who rang you up or the barista who made your drink,  but you may not even see the shift supervisors running the floor in the background making sure everything run smoothly, or the baristas who are assigned to keep the products stocked,  or the baristas who are in the position to take your order,  but all of these partners are working together each in their assigned position (their position is assigned to them by their Supervisor btw)  to make sure you start your day off with the perfect beverage and food item.  This is why Starbucks chooses to divide the tips evenly every week  based on hours worked,  doing otherwise would discourage team work and not to mention every barista would want to be in the position that got tipped the most,  but each store needs a barista in every position in order to make things work as they do.

Anyways,  I think the digital tipping is a great thing Starbucks has given us customers a more convenient way to leave a deserving reward to the hard working employees at each of our stores.  If most people are like me then they hardly ever carry cash,  isn't that why we have our gold cards?  Now we don't have to have cash to give the baristas a tip.  :)

Aprilfoolish
3/19/2014 2:57 AM

I am thrilled at this!! However, I too want the option to leave a larger amount..the Starbucks I go to literally every day has terrific baristas on all the shifts and I like to reward them by leaving a large tip..I am hopefully the will consider this option sooner than the 2+ years it has taken to get the tipping option. Also will the baristas have the option to add a tip at the register if you are using a card?

litdr
3/19/2014 7:00 AM

I applaud Starbucks for adding tipping, but fully agree that there should be an option to insert your own amount.  While I understand it takes a team to run Starbucks I can think of several instances in other establishments where the waiter/waitress did not warrant a good tip due to his/her poor service and it did not matter what the door host's smile did for the meal. It is the person with whom you come in contact that most people tip for their outstanding or lack of service.  I too have found that depending on the two Starbucks I frequent - the drinks are either always perfect or vary from adequate to awful.

KingJavaJunkie
3/19/2014 7:02 AM

Tipping is a great idea. However I like doing it the old-fashioned way; put it in the hands of the intended recipient directly. This serves many purposes:

1. Let's the person know you appreciated their good service. And you can smile when giving.

2. Assures that it goes to the correct/designated person.

3. Puts others on notice that good service is rewarded.

4. Makes it a personal experience; not through an app.

T Moore
3/19/2014 7:13 AM

What is the new AP called, and what does its icon look like? First thing this morning I wanted to either 1) update my current Ap, or 2) get the new Ap. Neither are showing on either Apple's or Starbuck's web pages or Facebook, anywhere I can find! :(

I love the idea of being able to add a tip from my card, as it is a hassle ensuring I have cash when I go in.  It is now after 7am West Coast time, so where is it and when can we expect it?

JDHoward
3/19/2014 8:07 AM

Starbucks uses a general tip jar.  That's the way it is.  There's too many people making drinks and taking orders to have them dealing with individually accepting tips.

If you want to tip more than 2 bucks, use cash.

arsenal704
3/19/2014 8:18 AM

when is the update going to be pushed to IOS users? it's already 9:15am Eastern and nothing in the app store :(

can't wait!

ETR
3/19/2014 9:31 AM

The amount to be tipped should always be at the consumer discretion.    Having a selection of default options is great (as some of my other service providers use) and it should be on a per experience basis ... not a pre set default.   Additionally regarding the sharing of tips.  How often do you find the same person who took your order also fulfilled it?   Pretty rare at a Starbucks.  Thus it takes a "team" to deliver your order and thus tips should be shared.  And we have to hope that the individual store managers ensure that ALL their staff are friendly, professional and efficient all the time to deserve their share.

Vikkib
3/19/2014 9:32 AM

9:30 a.m. here in San Diego,CA and still not working.

NikkiHooper
3/19/2014 9:43 AM

Still not working for me either :0/

gfellmer
3/19/2014 10:26 AM

I'm sorry but this new tipping feature seems strange to me.  Can Starbucks now monitor whether you tip or not?  If this update is unavoidable, I am deleting the app altogether.  I'll just use my gold card for all purchases.

rroach3753
3/19/2014 12:48 PM

Gfellmer...if you're only worry is of Starbucks is tracking whether or not you tip, you've got an easy life or you're so paranoid that your built a faraday cage around your house to protect yourself from everyone else who's out to snoop your digital footprint.

rroach3753
3/19/2014 1:03 PM

3pm CST and still no app update or new app.

gburggraf
3/19/2014 1:48 PM

Great

Sigman
3/19/2014 2:08 PM

5:00EDT still nothing?????

Cissyw
3/19/2014 2:10 PM

how do I get the new app? When I go to Apps on my iPhone and click Starbucks for iPhone, the old app comes up with my old info

Smasden
3/19/2014 2:17 PM

Same here - no update posted in the App Store yet.

Asirek
3/19/2014 2:21 PM

I guess the app will be ready March 19 @ 11:59 PM.  Poor job Starbucks, what a way to advertise this much anticipated update, only for it not to be there.

puck1959
3/19/2014 3:15 PM

I get enough worthless spam .  Now Starbucks sends email about new app that's not even available to download today like they advertised.

mr peanut
3/19/2014 3:41 PM

Where's the update?

headdocsa
3/19/2014 4:19 PM

Please add a "round-up" to the next dollar or "keep the change option" instead of the preset tip amounts

gburggraf
3/19/2014 5:06 PM

Great service

jason25
3/19/2014 5:13 PM

where is the new app at this is crazy

Shing
3/19/2014 5:25 PM

8:24 PM and no app yet.

andrewkurekOTS
3/19/2014 5:32 PM

Where is the new app? I have been looking all day, and it hasn't appeared as an update?

nnjcompguy
3/19/2014 6:03 PM

Ok now 9:02 PM ET. Sill no update on the new iPhone app.

flappybird87
3/19/2014 6:05 PM

Good idea..

denika
3/19/2014 7:19 PM

@cbartholomew: nice job posting the link showing all the negative nancy's griping, loved it! lol you were in no way whining. i'm like you & never carry cash so i'm glad the feature was added....

Taizong
3/19/2014 7:34 PM

10:33 PM Est nothing still

tcforbb
3/19/2014 7:39 PM

Wondering where the update to the app is?  I see many comments from people wanting to download the update but cannot locate it... Helloooo... we want the update.

tatos mommy
3/19/2014 7:55 PM

10:55pm - no update :(

sgreen83
3/19/2014 7:57 PM

Calm down people, it's just an app. I'm interested as well in using the new app; but it's just an app for buying coffee, not curing cancer. If you don't want to tip, don't tip. If you want to tip more or a different amount, tip thru the app then throw a handful of change in the tip jar that I'm sure will still be next to the register.  The current version still works just fine buying coffee. If it's a last minute bug they are working on fixing, it's better to wait a day or so for a fix than have them push it out with bugs and have y'all complain instead about how it's buggy and unfinished.

timmc94
3/19/2014 8:16 PM

Well it's the end of March 19 and your update still isn't here... is it coming at the last second or did you run into trouble with the Apple Developer application update submission process?

yg
3/19/2014 8:50 PM

Sorry everyone but as baristas we are not allowed to accept personal tips because we work as a team! The register person, the bar person, the person throwing sandwiches in the oven, the person washing dishes in the back and the person cleaning the lobby. We all work hard and we all deserve a tip. T.I.P.S.- To Insure Proper Service. If the same person is on the register every day and only gets the tips that's given, how is that fair for the rest of the team? No one would ever want to get off the register.

jaketinback
3/19/2014 9:46 PM

So it is the 19th and I see no evidence of a new app.  What am I missing?

nmark125
3/19/2014 10:17 PM

It's March 20th already in New York and the Starbucks app never came. I've lost patience and some trust in Starbucks. No faith in their app anymore.

espressolover2
3/19/2014 11:09 PM

Still no updated app... :(

cragoj
3/20/2014 3:45 AM

And Still. No. App. Good times!!!

andrewkurekOTS
3/20/2014 5:03 AM

I hoped to see the app this morning and use it, but it still hasn't appeared. Guess I'm not alone . . .

rws
3/20/2014 5:04 AM

no updated app. please advise.

spinner2046
3/20/2014 5:20 AM

Ummm.......yeah. No new app then?

Sydshyne
3/20/2014 5:54 AM

Understanding that sometimes glitches happen, it would be nice to hear from Starbucks about why the new app and/or updates are behind schedule.

BostonZach
3/20/2014 6:10 AM

Agreed! It would be nice to be updated as to when the new app is REALLY going to be available.

NAVYBOY
3/20/2014 6:15 AM

I think all gold members who use the app should receive a free beverage.  Breaking a promise without updating us is not good PR...

PikePlacer
3/20/2014 7:20 AM

iTunes Connect issue halting new app and update submissions for developers - "The most prominent update affected by the outage that comes to mind is the previously announced iOS redesign to the Starbucks for iPhone app. The company previously announced the update would be released on Wednesday, March 19. Its developer shared that the update was released around lunchtime yesterday, but the processing phase that typically lasts less than an hour is still occurring."  9to5mac.com/.../itunes-connect-issue-halting-new-app-and-update-submissions-for-developers

3/20/2014 10:54 AM

The app is rolling out now.  You should see the new version today.

pete480
3/20/2014 11:13 AM

Delete the old app and install the new one. When I went into the app store, it looked like the app updated automatically, but the old version was still on my phone. Had to delete the old one for it to work.

JDHoward
3/20/2014 12:12 PM

It's Out!!  Finally!!! I can now go back to living my life and stop refreshing my phone every 30 seconds waiting for an app to be updated.

missingbalance
3/20/2014 12:14 PM

Do gift cards stored in the old app not carry over to the new one?

archena
3/20/2014 12:32 PM

The update is finally here! Thank you so much!

archena
3/20/2014 12:40 PM

The only thing I am unhappy is now that my RED Card is just a plain Green Starbucks card in the updated app

Robert_Hoge
3/20/2014 1:40 PM

The new ap sign on page is stupid. It asks for your user name, but then states there cant be any spaces between the name I originally had before. And if I sign up as a new user, I lose all my points and credits.

Any thoughts ??

teemcee
3/20/2014 1:47 PM

Happy to have the in-app tip feature. Thank you so much for giving us customers the option. I appreciate companies that listen to their customers and respond accordingly.

sbuxsteve123
3/20/2014 1:58 PM

New app is boring, uninformative, and it is ridiculous that my personal information is right that. Can't believe you promoted this so heavily.

sbuxsteve123
3/20/2014 1:59 PM

ETR
3/20/2014 3:40 PM

Perhaps the response to the app itself might have been more positive if it had been delivered on time and/or the company had provided some explanation instead of another consumer having to dig around and find the reason it did not launch on time.  All in all taints the overall receptivity to something new.  Built expectations that with each passing hour of delay, deflated any enthusiasm.  Too bad.  Definitely one for Marketing text books on how NOT to launch a feature.

joshuaDP08
3/20/2014 6:37 PM

Agree with the custom tipping

aking3536
3/21/2014 8:20 AM

Why won't the new application let me sign in???

Tadziu
3/21/2014 8:45 AM

I don't like the new app. I liked having the menu and nutritional info of the old app and the ability to store favorites.

I don't need an app to tip. I tip with cash at the drive up or the counter.

missingbalance
3/21/2014 8:51 AM

A $37 gift card balance gone when I updated my app yesterday because I didn't sign up for an account before updating.

...and no response from Customer Service

Rockinfreak
3/21/2014 2:26 PM

This morning the cashier pointed out that I could now tip her with my phone....not real professional.

Rockinfreak
3/21/2014 2:26 PM

Unsocial
3/21/2014 4:23 PM

Like the tip option, but the amount should be settable. Interface is too confusing for me, prefer selecting not sliding. What I don't like is the missing product list and miss setting my favorites. The older (2.6.3) has disappeared and can't be reinstalled on my system (even from backup). This app has been removed from my iOS device, and I'll go back to my card until I see a better implementation.

lbohanan
3/21/2014 6:27 PM

Balance on my gift card is gone too!! I still have the actual gold card. Anyone know how to addition back into the app?

Regi Stration
3/21/2014 8:54 PM

First world problems.  Spastic comments above=why I'm an android user.

wanttobehappy
3/21/2014 9:16 PM

Why does the new app not show the balance on my card? The previous version did, and it was easy to find. The new app prominently features my "Gold Level," which is the least interesting thing I can think of as I meet the minimum 30 purchases in about three weeks at most. Why make such a big deal of that? if you reach the Gold Level then hide it so there is room for something else. In any case it makes no sense to me at all that I can't see my balance. That means when I want to know it I have to ask the barista to print it out for me - a waste of paper and resources.

trunkslammer
3/22/2014 8:21 AM

When the app updated I lost the balance on my card. The balance now reads $0.00????

trunkslammer
3/22/2014 8:21 AM

sulkygirl
3/22/2014 8:23 AM

Happy, just hit pay and your cards show up with the balance. Once you're on the card screen, swipe up to get list of cards. I had to change my gold card to default this way because shake to pay brought up a zero balance card. And get it straight with the tipping everyone. Read these posts and maybe you'll understand. People have said this but posters are still bitching about it. The baristas SHARE the tips. PERIOD. If you use the app or hand your favorite barista a $50 bill they cannot stick it in their pocket. It goes in a pool that is split up weekly by hours worked. END OF STORY! And some people rely on that extra couple hundred bucks a month. So tip generously. It would be nice to customize the amount but the new feature is great. I never have cash so every few weeks when I do I'll have to leave a $10 or $20 and explain that I'm not so generous but I've been stiffing them for weeks!

sulkygirl
3/22/2014 8:23 AM

sulkygirl
3/22/2014 8:23 AM

sulkygirl
3/22/2014 8:24 AM

sulkygirl
3/22/2014 8:24 AM

Yprowler
3/23/2014 8:29 AM

For stores without scanners it would be less confusing if the card number appeared regardless of how the user accesses the pay screen. A tap and the card number displays.  A shake and it does not. Of course, I figured this out after paying with a different form of payment.

Yprowler
3/23/2014 8:29 AM

wartjuice
3/23/2014 10:36 AM

Forget tipping... When someone goes above and beyond they get a tip. I personally don't do tip jars and reward those with lackluster work ethic. I have been to many SB and felt like I was a bother or ignored while they fill the good bin...

7isheaven
3/23/2014 2:40 PM

I hate the new updated app! Can I change back to the old version?  While I wanted the option to tip, I do NOT like the changes. I liked the previous home screen.  And most importantly, I NEED the Nicknames on my cards!! I have more than one for all the teen/adult kids in my life- I have to know which person I'm reloading money for!!.  UGH.   I used the tip today and wasn't sure if it worked or not. It just gave a total. Since the tip is done AFTER the fact, simply tell me 'tip done' or 'tip successful.'   [I can see total in history if I really want to]   So, until those features are available again, where can I download the older version??  Thanks.

QWER1234
3/23/2014 3:20 PM

Is anyone else having problems with the tip option?  I use my iPhone to scan to pay but the option to leave a tip doesn't show up.  Do I need to do something special to set this up?

QWER1234
3/23/2014 3:20 PM

Woodrow_M
3/24/2014 6:40 AM

I asked for this functionality years ago and was told it was not possible at that time. Glad to see the Starbucks IT/Finance/Legal/etc. departments got together and fixed my only complaint about the app. I can't imagine how complex this problem was to solve considering I don't think they even have the option to tip with a credit card. Looking forward to the Android version.

duhhveronicuh
3/24/2014 1:14 PM

PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE YOUR APP!

I was actually excited about the update. I thought it was going to be a lot better than the original, but I was wrong. My previous card balanced disappeared! I am a Gold Member and somehow all my stars/points disappeared as well. I sent them an email, and I have not received anything from them. I will seriously stop going to Starbucks if they don't replace my money and transaction history back...such an inconvenience.

SavySelph
3/24/2014 8:41 PM

My first comment is that if you have a problem with the mobile tip amount, just tip as much as you want in person when you can. Starbucks didn't just come up with the tipping possibity.

Two, I really wish an updated menu would come back on the app.

SavySelph
3/24/2014 8:41 PM

Two, I really wish an updated menu would come back on the app.

SavySelph
3/24/2014 8:41 PM

My first comment is that if you have a problem with the mobile tip amount, just tip as much as you want in person when you can. Starbucks didn't just come up with the tipping possibility.

Two, I really wish an updated menu would come back on the app.