Digital tipping for Android

We are pleased to announce our all-new Starbucks® app for Android devices, available now in the Google Play Store.  We redesigned the app and added new features inspired by discussions right here on My Starbucks Idea. It’s both inspiring and humbling to be reminded that the mobile apps are part of so many people’s daily routines.

Here’s what’s new:

• Digital Tipping: We’ve heard you loud and clear on this one, After you make a purchase through the app at one of our participating US stores, you’ll be notified of the option to leave a tip. If you don’t want to see those notifications, you can turn them off in Settings.
• Shake to Pay: Sometimes, you just need to get to that barcode screen right away. Now you’ll be able pay simply by giving your phone a gentle shake.
• Digital Receipts and Transaction History: We’ve also made it easier to see all of your account information in one place, and each transaction now has its own receipt.

You will still be able to find your store whether near home or out visiting friends, and you'll be able to keep earning stars for free drinks and food. We hope you’ll love the new app, but we’re always looking for ways to make it even better, so keep those ideas coming.

RealSnowWhite
9/17/2014 2:55 PM

I hope shake to pay can be disabled.  My phone already has shake set to open the camera and I prefer that setting.

Rocker
9/17/2014 6:03 PM

Please support android wear it was out before iwatch therefore it should be supported first

ktham
9/18/2014 3:25 PM

The new starbucks android app no longer opens on my Nexus 5. It just crashes now... I tried reinstalling to no avail... Was thinking of making a trip to starbucks, but can't use starbucks card anymore :-( Is there a way to install the older version of the app until this is fixed?

vannyv45
9/24/2014 5:19 PM

The Starbucks android app no longer works with the LG G3, It states that is it is not compatible with my device. Please find a way to fix this!

Mel_
9/29/2014 10:56 AM

I cannot install the update from the Google Play Store. It says that my device is "not compatible " with this app. I have a Sony Xperia Z Ultra, GPe. I still have the previous version of the app and it works, so this issue is related to the update. I think the not compatible message may be related to the dpi settings in the app. Is there a fix on the way?

jlb89
9/30/2014 8:41 PM

I installed the new app on my phone, and it won't refresh the balance, stars, or rewards. When I try to manually refresh in the app it says "A system error has occurred. Please try again later." This has been happening since Sept. 20. I'm hoping that there is an update of some sort coming out, because I am very disappointed with the "new and improved" app.

GuyWithBeard
10/2/2014 9:12 AM

I have the same problem as jlb89 - Droid Razr HD, Android 4.4.2

SadieK
10/4/2014 8:30 AM

I have not been able to use the app for almost 2 weeks. Every time I try to login it says A system error has occurred. Please try again later.

migyrlz
10/12/2014 2:04 AM

I just bought the lg g3 & the app isn't compatible in the Google play store. I'm unable to download it onto the phone.

JakeDog
10/14/2014 3:23 PM

When will Digital Tipping be available for iPhone?

KBerco
10/18/2014 5:46 PM

Would be amazing if it worked!  Balance is not updating for 2 weeks now.  It's always a surprise if I can use my app to buy my coffee or not.  Glitch city!

10/22/2014 1:16 PM

@JakeDog - Digital Tipping is available for iPhone - make sure you've downloaded the latest app update.

jeanietoo
11/28/2014 5:16 AM

App constantly crashes with this update.  Have to uninstall/reinstall every time I use it.  Often crashes when I haven't even used it and I have to uninstall to prevent getting a message every 3 seconds that Starbucks had stopped. Please fix this.

southernkat
12/6/2014 7:10 AM

It's a shame that no matter how many times I report the problem to Starbucks, no matter how often I attempt to fix the issue, using the tipping function on my Starbucks app (Samsung Galaxy5) has crashed the app exactly 100% of the time. As I am a heavy Starbucks card user (daily to near daily), this means that the Starbucks app fails to tip and stops the app multiple times a day. Wonderful concept, utter fail on application to date.

nanadee
1/28/2015 4:35 PM

I am getting the system error message on my Note 4, cannot sign into my account.  Help!

Kitakits
4/18/2016 9:07 AM

I've been having this issue for a few month now.  Called Customer Service, Called Google Play, Emailed CS, Sent out Twitter messages, Sent out Facebook messages and to no avail we are still getting issues with this App.  "A System Error Has Occurred, Please Try Again Later."  Come on Starbucks please help your customers out.

dhmusil
4/22/2016 9:17 AM

I have been having the same problem for months.  I have removed and reinstalled the latest application multiple times with no success.  I, too, have checked out multiple sources and none of the solutions have resolves the issue.  I think this is passed be frustrating.Seems a shame that local customers can't enjoy the benefits of "Stars" because the app doesn't work.  As Kitakits said, "please help your customers out".

Tkreinbrink
7/7/2016 2:52 PM

Please add an option that when we use our free drink rewards that we still have the option to tip. Just because we are utilizing our free drink option doesn't mean the baristas don't deserve a tip.