Mobile Ordering Coming to Portland, OR and Menu Returning Through the Updated Starbucks® app for iPhone®

We love hearing feedback and ideas from our customers and strive to make sure we’re providing features that are both relevant and convenient for you. Today we’re excited to release an update to the Starbucks® app for iPhone® that includes two important features you’ve told us you want: mobile menu and Mobile Order & Pay.

•         Mobile Menu: It’s back – a version of our Starbucks menu has returned to the app. Now you can quickly browse and search the mobile menu to find and try new or favorite items as well as get nutritional information (when available). Right now, the menu highlights products that are available nationally and we have plans to expand the mobile menu further so that it contains all of your favorite Starbucks items.

•         Mobile Order & Pay: Available first in participating stores in Portland, Oregon, the new feature of the Starbucks® app for iPhone® allows you to order and pay for your Starbucks order directly from your phone. Just as you would when ordering with a barista, you can also fully customize your drinks right from the app.

Here's how to use Mobile Order & Pay in Portland:
-          Download version 3.2 of the Starbucks® app for iPhone® if you do not have it already.
-          Tap on ‘menu’
-          The app will prompt you to enable location services. (Mobile Order & Pay will only work if you’ve enabled location services.  This allows us to know where to send your order.)
-          Search or browse for your favorite items, add them to your order, and customize them if you’d like.
-          Confirm your preferred Starbucks® store for pick-up and place your order.

The app will provide an estimated wait time so you know when your order will be ready, and when to arrive at the store.

And, if you are in the United States but outside of the Portland area, we are looking forward to rolling this feature out in select markets in the coming months.

This is just the beginning of a whole new wave of exciting new services and experiences, so stay tuned. In the meantime, give the updated app a try and let us know what you think.

Update 3/17/2015 - We’re excited to announce that with the expansion of Mobile Order & Pay to select stores in Washington, Idaho, Oregon and Alaska, even more customers can skip the line and order their favorite food and beverages from their phone. We will continue rolling out this feature across the country in the coming months.

kathywent
12/5/2014 8:43 PM

Here is my feed back on the mobile app. I think you should add a feed back button in the app. I had to look through the site to find this post. Here are my suggestions: There is no way to order a Clover espresso drink with the kind of coffee that you want. There is no choice either for regular or decaf. In addition at the store I can order a drink of grande size in a vente cup so that I have room for cream without throwing some of the coffee out.

Rob13
12/8/2014 7:57 AM

Partner with a payment processor that will bring down transaction costs, and gives Starbucks the opportunity to bring more rewards to their customers! ACH companies like Visa and Mastercard have at least 3% transaction fees, which is steep. Check out Check 21 payment processing companies, like MyECheck. I know they charge as little as $.15 per transaction. Can you imagine the savings per transaction?! And the potential for added rewards to give back to customers!

keelyc
12/8/2014 9:38 PM

No updated android app for us portland reidence?

Ben Straley
12/11/2014 7:50 PM

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions, kathywent and Rob13.

Keelyc - we're working on a Mobile Order & Pay feature for the Starbucks app for Android. Stay tuned.

NextLevel
12/20/2014 6:48 PM

When is the Nation wide role out ?

bige
1/5/2015 9:56 AM

Can't wait for the mobile ordering to come to virginia

Portland_Girl
1/6/2015 11:06 AM

Tried this for the first time today and have some feedback.  First, I agree with kathywent--make it easy to provide feedback.  I had to Google to find this page.

The ordering process needs a way to change store location.  Since it was my first time using the app, I looked at it at home and entered my order.  I work 45-minutes away.  When I got close to the location, I wanted to place the order but "confirm" the location (the one I didn't want near my house) was the only option.  I had to cancel and start again.

Also, I wanted to use my Reward but did not see that this was an option.

billfnc
1/16/2015 9:25 AM

Where is the app for Windows Phone users?

Scatpdx
1/16/2015 12:15 PM

Please update the app to include the new tea for order ahead. Please add in honey packets as an add on item for tea and milk steamers.

It is akward to interrupt busy baristas to ask for your order so another way to show you are there for mobile pickup would be nice.

I participated in the 3 mobile orders by 1/11 for stars event and never received stars. It was a nice trail offer but I'm bummed I never got the reward.

Tomekpdx
1/19/2015 3:02 PM

Americano is gone from the menu!!!

Teacher5
1/23/2015 11:56 PM

The new Mobile Order & Pay Starbucks app and service is absolutely fantastic! There is no Drive-Thru Starbucks in my area that is anywhere close to my route to work, and every day I think about going to one of the other coffee stands I drive past. However, I just can't bring myself to abandon the best. The Mobile Order & Pay app has basically solved that problem for me. Being able to pre-order and just run in to pick up my latte saves me about 10-15 minutes every morning. Those are some of the most hectic moments of my day, so I can't tell you how much difference it makes.   The order process was easy to figure out, and I have not been disappointed yet. Thank you SO much for this convenience!

RickD
1/24/2015 1:47 AM

You have me spoiled!

I love the mobil ordering option on the app.

I'm addicted to it!

Please don't ever take it away from us Portland people.

maripossa88
1/26/2015 10:23 PM

This is AWESOME!!! I've used it several times and I've been telling everyone about it.

Drink temp would be great. Example my friend likes extra hot. I like tepid. If it's already on there it wasn't easy to find.

In addition. I know it saves your drinks but I like that the old app had it that you could save your friends drinks by name not just the description. I always would get them mixed up when they are too similar

Hope this sticks around I 💗it!

aPandaDrinks
1/30/2015 4:25 PM

Thanks for bringing Mobile Order & Pay to PDX. I have tried it out a few times now and it is a convenient option to have available.

#1 Suggestion: I think it would be really helpful to have a designated spot for picking up Mobile Order & Pay items. My nearest location is usually very busy throughout the day. So when I go to the normal pick up spot, I find that I have to interrupt the barista to let him/her know that I am picking up a mobile order. This is not always a pleasant way to interact with them. However, I feel like if there were a designated spot, then some of the other employees just standing around might be able to help me quicker or with less hassle.

Again, I appreciate the innovation and the opportunity to give feedback on a beta feature that will hopefully be permanent!

TheFrankie
3/17/2015 12:40 PM

Tried the new ordering in the app this morning, and it went great.

I'd like to see a few more options on the order screen, like "Double Cup".

(Luckily, the Barista knows me and double cupped me anyway)

Another cool idea is to have the ability to create drinks by name.

I think an older version of the app allowed you to build custom drinks and save them by name.  That way I could order one Frank and one Linda.

Thanks!!!

- Frank

Maiyapapaya
3/18/2015 2:22 AM

Suggestions:

I was going to order a refresher today, but couldn't make it the way I like it (1/2 berry hibiscus, 1/2 cool lime)...  I think a section for customization where you can type in options not programed in the app would solve this and many of the issues I've read from others as well.  I was impressed with the amount of options that are already programmed into the app!

Also, this may already be possible, but it would be great to be able to apply rewards (free drink, etc) to the pay by phone order.

adflint
3/18/2015 3:28 PM

Hi I love the idea for mobile ordering, however, I tried to use the new ordering in the app and unfortunately my drink is not available for selection due to the fact that I can't select the single origin Guatemala Casi Cielo espresso.  If you could add that as an option I would appreciate it, thanks!

Jedwards4141
3/19/2015 5:32 PM

It would be great if we could specify what time we plan to arrive at Starbucks, rather than trying to get there at the designated time on the app. My friend and I walk with our dogs to starbucks, takes about 20 minutes. I was hoping this app would be awesome for this so the amount of time we leave the dogs outside the store is minimal. However, we would have to order halfway through our walk instead of before we leave the house. Otherwise our drinks are sitting out too long by the time we get there :( Also would be nice to pick a store on our route when we are traveling across the state with kiddos, rather than defaulting to the nearest store. (Which isn't always the closest to a freeway exit!)

PDXGreg
3/30/2015 4:23 PM

Possible bug report:

After using the mobile ordering portion of the app for several weeks (and I love it) the order screen suddenly came up blank. When I touched Beta Order, the screen was blank except for "Browse our menu" at the bottom. When I touched that it brought up the menu but none of the selections on the menu would work?

During this time I was also prompted to upgrade my iPhone operating system which I did. But I still had the same blank screen in the beta order section.

No one in the store was able to shed any light on this issue.

Today I deleted the application and reinstalled it and now it seems to be working fine.

andyprice21
4/4/2015 1:08 AM

Please add a way to save your favorite drinks or order too.

bige
5/3/2015 10:48 PM

When is the being rolled out in Virginia,  I know of noticed the Oakton Starbucks got new registers couple weeks back

Bob911
5/27/2015 9:31 AM

1. Let me pick the store, not just the nearest one.

2. Half-Caf, please.

3. Tip for the barista.

CreativeYou
7/14/2015 11:03 AM

Good idea, definitely still beta. Feedback:

1. To be genuinely useable you need to let me order exactly the beverage I want. For fifteen years I've gotten the same simple drink (half-caff venti americano). Closest your app comes is grande full caff.

2. No instructions on how to use it. It is not as inuitive as you think. I quit several times before wading my way through invisible options, and even then had to fuss with it to get my not-quite-right drink.

3. Good thing you are giving double points for trying it out. I do not like being the guinea pig. If double points were not involved I would never have been motivated to piece together how to order.

4. Unless I can get the beverage I want, I will not use it again once the double-point option is over.

5. Ditto comments on need for personal cup option.

6. Your price raise at the beginning of July specifically on your lowest overhead items- Americanos for example- has weakened further my previous total committment to you. The price raise is egregious opportunism, will ripple through coffee shops everywhere, and means I now will choose other coffee shops rather than the corporate behemoth you've become. Nice baristas don't make up for exploiting your customers. I'm deeply disappointed and feel oddly betrayed for my loyalty after all these years.

Anonymous
7/16/2015 12:15 AM

I love the mobile order iPhone app.  I am in & out in no time.  Though my usual store is very efficient & friendly, I appreciate the saved time before work.

The previous order option is perfect.  With very few clicks, I get my usual ordered.

However, I was looking for 2 things I could not find.

1) a place to apply my free rewards to a menu item;

2) a cup of water with ice

Thank you again.  I appreciate the customer service.  Keep up the good work!

p.s. When will you be bringing an Evenings store to Marina del Rey, CA?

bige
7/27/2015 11:21 AM

When are you bringing it to Northern Virginia,  I think I saw one Starbucks that is located at South Lakes Shopping Center, in Reston, VA,  I was place a order and I think I saw one on of those printers,  But I have noticed that Starbucks app has not been updated yet my is still showing the menu in stead of ordering

rolobit
8/7/2015 9:36 AM

I used it this morning and LOVED it. My location doesn't have a drive thru, so I have to go in anyway. It was nice for it to be ready, so I just ran in, grabbed it, and was out in less than a minute. Thank you!!

bige
8/13/2015 11:22 AM

I'can't wait to use the mobile ordering when it comes available in Northern Virginia,  So far i have seen two starbucks here that already have the printer installed,  Oakton, and South Lakes,  I know just waiting for the App to be updated so we can get the order section on it,  Right now on my app still have the menu tab instead of the order

kathyev
10/18/2015 5:48 PM

I love the idea and have been very happy with it the 2x I used it BUT I love the Talk Flat White and you can only get a grande flat white if you preorder. I don't understand?? The talk flat white should be available online.

Thank you!

purplereno1
3/3/2016 7:57 AM

Hoping you add CA soon. I order a venti unsweetened black ice tea with x-ice in a trenta cup.  Can't do that on the using the mobile method.  Will save me time especially when I need my tea and running into a time crunch with a meeting.

crazytiggergrl
3/29/2016 4:16 AM

I've used the app a few times to order in the Boston area. The first time I used it it tried to switch my order from a tall to a Venti- but I was being careful since I had never used the app to order before and caught it before placing the order. I've ordered maybe 5 times now through the app and today I  added my previous order to my cart and by checkout it had changed my order from a tall to a grande- which I didn't catch until after hitting the order button. This bug is really really annoying- especially with no option to cancel. Fix the bug or add a cancellation button.