Big News for the Beloved Pumpkin Spice Latte

We have been trying to keep a lid on some big news for the beloved Pumpkin Spice Latte, but with recipes and ingredients starting to ship to our stores, the buzz is building.

What’s the big deal?

After hearing from customers and partners about ingredients, we took another look at this beverage and why we created it so many years ago. It was simple - espresso, perfectly steamed milk, warm fall spices with delicious flavor of pumpkin pie that reminds you of the cool, crisp days of autumn. So, with that great taste you know and love, the PSL returns this fall, and this time it will be made with real pumpkin and without caramel coloring.

But for now, enjoy the rest of summer and when PSL is back in stores, I look forward to celebrating the season with all of you.

Warm Regards,

Peter Dukes

PSL Ingredient List:

• Espresso
  • Milk
  • Pumpkin Spice Flavored Sauce (Sugar, Condensed Skim Milk, Pumpkin Puree, Contains 2% or Less of Fruit and Vegetable Juice for Color, Natural Flavors, Annatto (Color), Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Salt)
  • Whipped Cream (Light Whipping Cream [Cream, Mono and Diglycerides, Carrageenan])
  • Starbucks Vanilla Syrup (Sugar, Water, Natural Flavors, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Citric Acid)
  • Pumpkin Spice Topping (Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Clove)

JenSwift
8/17/2015 4:02 PM

As a vegan I am crushed I can't have this. I was so hopeful when I read the announcement that you'd reformulated it. When I still drank dairy this was my favorite drink. I will love you forever when you make a vegan Pumpkin Spice flavoring.

Pelon1071
8/17/2015 4:17 PM

Good job, Starbucks! :D

Southbeach6
8/17/2015 4:41 PM

Yes!  I am very proud of you Starbucks.  I am a HUGE PSL fan and am over the moon about the fact there is one less artificial ingredient in my favorite fall drink.

juliannee
8/17/2015 6:25 PM

I have a ginger allergy. Does the pumpkin spice flavored sauce contain ginger as a "natural flavor" or added spice? If I were to order the PSL without the Pumpkin Spice Topping, would it be safe to drink? Thank you.

SamiljanS
8/17/2015 8:40 PM

What a horrible change.

First if all, it was a pumpkin SPICE latte, not a smoothie.

Second, Food Babe is telling her army to go buy pumpkin lattes at Whole Foods, so you haven't won over any customers with this reformulation.

Third, caffeine is in the same class of carcinogen as caramel coloring and acrylamide is on the Prop 65 cancer causing agent warning list, so you might as well just stop selling coffee if you want to be clean with the foodies/food babe army types.

She's already warning people about "Monsanto milk", whatever that is, so you might as well stop selling milk, oh, and palm oil too, so no pastries.

Just stand behind your products.

::shaking my damn head::

Sherronie
8/18/2015 1:30 AM

This is definitely a step in the right direction and I'm so glad to hear the PSL will be improving its ingredients.  I am sad to hear the sauce has milk in it because I can't have cows milk.  I always had my PSL made with soy.

strangelo_e
8/18/2015 9:03 AM

So you took the opportunity to add a fresh ingredient but still included the diary. A missed opportunity to add the vegans to the pumpkin spice fold. Very disappointed with inclusion of condensed milk.

troyboy76
8/18/2015 9:13 AM

Why did you guys cave?  There was nothing wrong with the original PSL that I, and many, many others have been enjoying for several years now.

Food Babe, et al., and her army of sycophantic myrmidons are a vocal lot to be sure, but the majority of their arguments have zero basis in scientific fact and everything to do with emotional responses to "scary-sounding" chemicals that anyone with a basic high school education should be able to understand are far from harmful.

Much like the backlash against New Coke, I'm somewhat hoping the same thing happens here.  It's a horrible idea to take something that already has such success and just arbitrarily change it.  I guess time will tell.

raggerga
8/18/2015 11:46 AM

I'm with SamiljanS; you'll never make "food babe" and her ignorant minions happy. This is the same blogger who warned about nitrogen being in air.

Just keep it delicious.

kristi1979
8/18/2015 12:43 PM

Starbucks, I am very disappointed that you fell to the pressure of Food Babe. Food Babe has no understanding of science and just fear mongers. Are you going to remove the caffeine next because it is also a carcinogen? I am very disappointed and will not be supporting Starbucks. Funny because neither will Food Babe's supporter who she told to get their PSLs from Whole Foods.

LatteLover0003
8/18/2015 1:07 PM

Good step in the right direction.  I stopped buying PSLs and started making my own because I can control the quality of the ingredients and the store-made PSL had a bitter taste; not sure if it was the espresso or the pumpkin spice syrup.  Pumpkin Pie is made with pumpkin, so why not make a PSL with real pumpkin instead of chemically-made flavoring and off putting colors?

bmommyx2
8/18/2015 3:01 PM

No if you could get rid of the citric acid in your drinks it would be a happy day for me.

ilvsea
8/18/2015 3:58 PM

I'm sorry, but that does not sound appealing.  I never wanted pumpkin in my PSL, and I still don't.

Could you have an option for customers to have the old PSL, sans pumpkin puree crap?

gingerb85
8/18/2015 4:55 PM

So sad that the PSL sauce still has milk in it.  With a severe dairy allergy, this good news is still not good news for me.

Kimmerz139
8/18/2015 9:04 PM

Starbucks has the only good pumpkin spice latte. All of the others taste like spices with no pumpkin.

Kimmerz139
8/18/2015 9:13 PM

I like the idea of real pumpkin in a latte. The Starbucks PSL is delicious; it's not overwhelmed by spices and artificial tastes like other chains' recipes. It's a really unique taste.

andriaj
8/18/2015 9:43 PM

I'm with everyone else who's disappointed the new formula still contains dairy. It would be so easy to make a dairy-free version that would be friendly for those with allergies, and vegans like myself. I think you missed a great opportunity here.

pdpurdy54
8/18/2015 10:25 PM

Is there going to be a sugar free fat free version of PSL?

Ashleyrwatts07
8/18/2015 10:29 PM

Very disappointing it still contains dairy.

ATLgirl82
8/19/2015 5:03 AM

I personally like the PSL and believe everyone is a free moral agent, with that said if you don't like it don't buy it!  Starbucks can't please everyone, stop all the whining...at least they're trying!!!

ginathemarie
8/21/2015 10:41 AM

news flash everyone: the original PSL syrup included milk too.

Soulscribe1
8/21/2015 11:39 AM

Thank you, I am looking forward to the Pumpkin Spice Latte, it's my favorite!

Mama Meli
8/21/2015 1:48 PM

Yeah, PSL sauce always had milk in it so.... Whoever says they can't have it now are totally hypocritical and don't have serious enough allergies to milk if you've had it millions of times before and had no issue hahaha.

It's a Pumpkin*** spice latte... Guys... You're complaining about pumpkin being in your pumpkin spice latte? Wow. I'll just leave that there.

They didnt take spice out... They just took out the disgusting over sweet fake taste.

MissLux
8/24/2015 2:45 PM

So vanilla syrup will be added to PSLs now?

Vtredbaron
8/27/2015 3:06 PM

forget the pumpkin spice BRING BACK THE VALENCIA ORANGE REFRESHER!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
8/28/2015 12:26 AM

I could care less about a tiny amount of caramel coloring, how about the HUGE customer base that can't have sugar, either for medical reasons or dieting. We would like to enjoy all the seasonal flavors!! SUGAR FREE egg nog syrup & SUGAR FREE pumpkin spice would be an easy option to offer!! If a local coffee house can carry 15 SF flavors, I'm sure Starbucks can add 2 seasonal ones! The syrups have a LONG shelf life, so they won't expire right away!!

georgiegirl
8/31/2015 3:25 PM

After 10+ years of success, Starbucks again decides to listen to some ignorant customers, and reformulate a very successful product.  No change will please everyone, but why on earth would PUMPKIN be added to a PSL?  There is no STEAK in "STEAK spice"!  So why would anyone be so stupid as to think there need to be pumpkin in this beverage?

veganamanda
9/5/2015 4:42 PM

Would have loved a dairy-free version. Bummer.

WJDII
9/14/2015 11:03 PM

So is it a pumpkin spice latte or a pumpkin pie latte? What is the difference between pumpkin spice without the pumpkin and pumpkin spice with the pumpkin? Maybe you should consider a pumpkin spice latte and a pumpkin pie Frappuccino

carollk
9/21/2015 8:27 AM

I had a pumpkin spice frappuccino yesterday and I thought it tasted better than it has before.  Don't know if that's due to the pumpkin or not...

AisaDawn
9/23/2015 2:25 PM

I love the new PSL. I was never really a fan before; they were alright but meh. It's thicker and more mellow, or that's how my memory compares it to last year. I don't know anything about these Food Babe wars that I'm reading in the threads, but a company that wants to make things people really like and wants stay current with societal trends, in this case trying to be healthier (more actual, less artificial) isn't always "caving," sometimes it just means they're listening... I do agree though, if it is at all feasible for the stores to stock the new concoction as well as the old, then they really should. It's a drink people are passionate about, and while me and my tongue are very glad for the changes it does make me sad that others are missing their joy. They've been in love with it longer and shouldn't have to lose such an iconic seasonal staple.

starnk
9/27/2015 12:29 AM

Still left in the dairy. Very short sighted and selfish. Many, many of your customers left out of enjoying this. First you refuse to disclose ingredients. You make some with dairy allergies sick due to this. You finally take out harmful ingredients, but leave in the dairy. I'm not a militant vegan demanding you change everything. Many of your loyal paying customers choose dairy alternates for a variety of health issues. Thanks for nothing.

PeanutCutie
11/27/2015 11:16 PM

Every fall I wait for the PSL to hit the shelves in VIA form so I can make one at home whenever I want to.  As the season nears the end, I usually have the chance to buy several packages before they are all gone.  Not this year!  The shelves were empty before I even got a hint and now I have ordered them online (and on sale) just to have some through Christmas.  I love everything Pumpkin - facials, candles, pie, bread, PSL.  I don't care if Starbucks changed the formula .. time will tell if it was a good change or not.  Wish the PSL was offered year round!

Becki Maner
12/3/2015 11:37 PM

Sounds great!

Bendi
12/24/2015 7:37 AM

I have always looked forward to fall and ordering a pumpkin spice latte! I felt the change tasted delicious! I am one of the fortunate people who CAN drink dairy products but one of the UNFORTUNATE people who are allergic to REAL oranges! I don't go into anaphylactic shock, just break out with hives mainly on my face and neck, when I ingest too much orange. I have to be very careful to check the ingredients of new drinks I haven't tried before. I'm glad Starbucks has the information I need to make the right drink choice BEFORE I order. Thanks Starbucks!

Jas Bangar
12/28/2015 4:53 AM

Milk: Should instead be Organic Milk, full fat.

Whipping Cream: Should be real organic whipping cream without the fillers, in a stainless steel reusable CO2 dispenser. After an hour it turns into goo, and the drink is ruined. Dairy should be sourced from Avalon Dairy or equivalent source of grass-fed dairy.

Conclusion: At the prices we are paying we deserve the BEST ingredients.  And the artificial ingredients and other allergens can lead to cancer, dizziness, confusion, rapid heart beat, traffic accidents, memory problems, headaches and migraines. And yes, the Slow death of customers is not good for long-term profits.

hanye84
4/9/2016 9:17 AM

It look delicious I get free drink and food near my special days .

I don't know why JenSwift say it not vegan .

Vegan people do drink some milk .

My younger sister is vegan and milk help your bones be strong .she rarely drink sugary drink .

You just go 1 time to drink it will not affect vegan . If you watch survivor or amazing race those vegan people have to eat meat or bugs to move on

hanye84
8/21/2016 12:14 PM

I love PSL  and can't wait

I can get it free